No rating

St. Thomas the Apostle Elementary School

Private | PK-8 | 205 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $140,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $910.

Posted Monday, October 20, 2014

I am a parent of a middle school child at STA. This is a fantastic school, especially moving into the middle school years. The principal is incredibly involved, approachable, and dedicated. The class size is small and the teachers know each child very intimately. The workload in middle school is high, but the idea is to prepare kids for high school. The teachers are passionate and professional. It would be nice if there was a bit more diversity (my child is not black), but this seems to be progressively improving and my child has never felt anything but completely welcome. This is a school that is good for kids at all levels of academic performance and I have been impressed that the teachers are helping my child reach an individualized potential--as opposed to being a school that enrolls all high-performing kids and then takes credit for their (expected) high standardized test scores--that said, kids here are doing well on standardized tests too. Above all, if you visit STA I think you will find it obvious that the kids here are genuinely happy and glad to be there. Bullying is not tolerated whatsoever. Credit to the principal and teachers this is a very good school

Posted March 29, 2014

Let me just say, that I LOVEthis school. My husband and I spent years, searching and searching, trying to find a good school for our two boys and finally, we've found it in STA. This is our sons fourth year at STA and they are doing well. Our eldest son is in 8th grade now and have been accepted into; Whitney Young Magnet High School and Marist Catholic High School in Chicago. Our other son is in 4th grade. Both have been on the honor roll numerous times and test above grade level. STA offers so many activities including violin, field trips and sports to the kids. Spanish, PE, Library, Computers, Art and Music is offered as part of the regular weekly subjects. The school is small, nuturung and safe. The teachers and principal are all excellent & know each student by their first names. After & befire school care is offered. Parental involvement is high and welcomed. I know my children are receiving an excellent education at STA. We have no regrets. If you are looking for a high quality academically advanced school, in a safe environment, come check out STA. You will not be disappointed.

Posted August 15, 2013

My granddaughter came St. Thomas last year for the 7th grade. Up until that point she struggled with math. She has made significant progress over the last and now has the confidence that she can perform. In fact she has identified math as one of her favorite subjects.m

Posted January 18, 2013

My two children attend STA and I've been involved with the school for 4 years. Today, I can't say enough great things about this school and the evolution it's been on. I think my children's teachers are wonderful, caring, knowledgable, and tough! The Principle Ms. Schidt is a literal God-send: She has transformed the school and brought so much new life to it. I can't say enough wonderful things about her. I really enjoy the other parents I know and more and more parents seem to get involved each year. If you're looking for great faith-based education for your children, I would recommend this school. The older reviews simply do not reflect the state of the school today.

Posted January 15, 2013

I am a parent with three children at St.Thomas the Apostle. This school has changed for the best in the last year and a half. I can not say enough wonder things about the current leadership that supports the staff as well as the parents. All the kids love and respect her. The changes came from the inside and we can see it through out the building. A wonderful school and I would advise anyone looking for a close family, faithbased school to give St. Thomas a try.

Posted August 11, 2011

I am a student a st.thomas and i have been there since second grade. I watched teachers and principals come and go, i also seen the schools good and bad side.We are very nice and welcoming, but you dont get what you need for the money.Send your child/children to a better place where your money is worth it. I am now an eighter grade who has gotten many awards and chances to do things. Come to this school for pre-k -5th.... not 6th - 8th. Trust me dont mess yourself up!!!!!

Posted October 18, 2010

St. Thomas offers a very nice, comfortable environment for students. Parent groups are very active. Academics should be more rigorous.

Posted October 13, 2010

This school provided a warm and nurturing environment -- a haven in the midst of a big city at a time when my family relocated with our 3 children. The parent community is wonderful and friendly and the teachers are striving to provide the best academics possible.

Posted October 11, 2010

I absolutely love this school! This school has given my once shy 8th grader a voice. She has come alive achidemically and socially. My husband and I have four childen at St.Thomas the Apostle. We searched a long time to find a school to fit all our children. This is the one.

Posted October 11, 2010

The small size of the school helps develop a family atmosphere. We are a k-8 with class size averging around 15 in most of the classes. Older students also look out for their younger counterparts and work with to foster great school spirit. Our atheletic teams let all of the youngster play regrardless of ability, and we still manage to win our share of championships.

Posted October 10, 2010

STA is a great school. the teachers and staff are very acute to the children's needs. Compassion, attention, and high morals are present. Acadamic percentiles are above average.

Posted October 10, 2010

Catholic values combined with academically and athletically challenging.

Posted October 9, 2010

St. Thomas the Apostle is a great school! Small class sizes, great teachers, and wonderful parents.

Posted August 9, 2010

I have to agree with the previous reviewer who stated "I don't hate STA but I don't love it either" - those are my sentiments exactly. While I love the small class sizes and the "ambition" or at least stated ambition of the school, I truly don't feel that the curriculum is challenging enough - I too feel like the local public schools offer more, both from an academic standpoint and in terms of the after school actitivities for the students. There are 1 or 2 stand out teachers, and the rest seem to be mediocre at best. There will always be some parents who are die hard Catholic school parents, or who had an older child graduate from this school and feel some sort of connection that way; however, I am not one of those parents and have decided to enroll my daughter in another school.

Posted August 5, 2010

This is actually the second review that I submitted on St. Thomas. Two years ago, I was very pleased with the school. At that time, I said that I would keep my son in the school for as long as I could afford it. Well, fortunately, I am still able to afford it, but I have decided to take him out. It is quite evident that the administration does not have our children s best interest at heart. They are replacing experienced, qualified teachers with those with no experience whatsoever, and our children s education is suffering as a result. My son just completed the second grade with a new, inexperienced teacher. It was a complete waste of time and energy. This school is not worth my hard earned money!

Posted July 29, 2009

'I don't hate STA but I just don't love it'. When compared to other Catholic schools St. Thomas' tuition is high. It is in Hyde Park so I guess this is why 'they' get away with it. I wouldn't mind the tuition (its waaay cheaper than Lab & Ancona) if I felt like my kids were getting an excellent education. The curriculum is just ok but needs to be more challenging for the students. I honestly believe that you can get just as good or better education at nearby public schools (Ray or Murray) without the expense. Many activities are cut with each passing year but tuition continues to rise. Teachers also come and go. The principal does not communicate well with parents and many families are going elsewhere (myself included). I can not waste any more time and money waiting for this school to get it together.hat

Posted May 15, 2008

My son will be graduating from Kindergarten at St. Thomas next month. The educational standards are excellent, and I am very pleased with the progress he has made during this past year. Additionally, I really appreciate the warm, friendly environment, and the small class sizes. The one criticism I have is that the tuition is somewhat expensive once you add in the cost of the after school program. Nevertheless, I will keep my son at St. Thomas for as long as I can afford it.

Posted May 2, 2006

My daughter would not have turned 5 until after the Chicago Public School's Sept 1st deadline so my husband and I shopped for schools on the South Side. We found St. Thomas the Apostle and it was a blessing. My daughter is graduating this year after having been in the school for 10 years. I can say with no hesitation, that it was the best choice we could have made for her. She has broadened her understanding of the world, gotten a good moral foundation from which to work and been encouraged to lead rather than to follow. Although the tuition is a little higher than most of the other schools we looked at, it was well worth every penny.

Posted July 19, 2005

I love this school. I feel blessed that I got a chance to attend this prestigous school. There are lots of activities .And everything is very advanced. But you children will not get left behind. Because of the excellent teaching staff I was able to take freshman classes as an eighth grader. Your child will love this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 5, 2004

Things are constantly changing at this school. This once was the school to go to in Hyde Park. The leadership is poor and there is no communication between adminstration and the school community. This year, some of the class sizes have doubled and the tuition has taken a sharp rise. The money is being spent on all of the wrong things. The principal doesn't seem to know whom to listen to. There are so many cuts that I wonder if the school is slated to close and we are not being told. I am really saddened to see some of the best teachers leave this school and teach elsewhere. If there is no improvements in conditions, my family will be ending our relationship with St. Thomas the Apostle School!

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (773) 891-0602

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago