PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted January 31, 2016
Great school. Great community. Administration, teachers, staff, volunteers, parents, and others contribute to a positive learning environment, where everyone is committed to supporting the growth of the entire child -- spiritual, academic, social, emotional, physical. The experience has been transformational for my child. She has learned so much, and is having fun doing it. The curriculum goes beyond the basics. They teach love, empathy, respect, and other like virtues. It shows, the children are great to each other. There is a lot happening at the school. After school, they provide several different programs for the kids, more for the higher grade levels. They encourage parent involvement through volunteering. They host a variety of family events at the school throughout the year. Picking a school is difficult. I know, before deciding on this school, we visited several times. I encourage interested families to do the same to see if the school is a good fit. We couldn't be any happier.

Posted October 20, 2014
I am a parent of a middle school child at STA. This is a fantastic school, especially moving into the middle school years. The principal is incredibly involved, approachable, and dedicated. The class size is small and the teachers know each child very intimately. The workload in middle school is high, but the idea is to prepare kids for high school. The teachers are passionate and professional. It would be nice if there was a bit more diversity (my child is not black), but this seems to be progressively improving and my child has never felt anything but completely welcome. This is a school that is good for kids at all levels of academic performance and I have been impressed that the teachers are helping my child reach an individualized potential--as opposed to being a school that enrolls all high-performing kids and then takes credit for their (expected) high standardized test scores--that said, kids here are doing well on standardized tests too. Above all, if you visit STA I think you will find it obvious that the kids here are genuinely happy and glad to be there. Bullying is not tolerated whatsoever. Credit to the principal and teachers this is a very good school

Posted March 29, 2014
Let me just say, that I LOVEthis school. My husband and I spent years, searching and searching, trying to find a good school for our two boys and finally, we've found it in STA. This is our sons fourth year at STA and they are doing well. Our eldest son is in 8th grade now and have been accepted into; Whitney Young Magnet High School and Marist Catholic High School in Chicago. Our other son is in 4th grade. Both have been on the honor roll numerous times and test above grade level. STA offers so many activities including violin, field trips and sports to the kids. Spanish, PE, Library, Computers, Art and Music is offered as part of the regular weekly subjects. The school is small, nuturung and safe. The teachers and principal are all excellent & know each student by their first names. After & befire school care is offered. Parental involvement is high and welcomed. I know my children are receiving an excellent education at STA. We have no regrets. If you are looking for a high quality academically advanced school, in a safe environment, come check out STA. You will not be disappointed.

Posted August 15, 2013
My granddaughter came St. Thomas last year for the 7th grade. Up until that point she struggled with math. She has made significant progress over the last and now has the confidence that she can perform. In fact she has identified math as one of her favorite subjects.m

Posted January 18, 2013
My two children attend STA and I've been involved with the school for 4 years. Today, I can't say enough great things about this school and the evolution it's been on. I think my children's teachers are wonderful, caring, knowledgable, and tough! The Principle Ms. Schidt is a literal God-send: She has transformed the school and brought so much new life to it. I can't say enough wonderful things about her. I really enjoy the other parents I know and more and more parents seem to get involved each year. If you're looking for great faith-based education for your children, I would recommend this school. The older reviews simply do not reflect the state of the school today.

St. Thomas the Apostle Elementary School 4

Posted January 15, 2013
I am a parent with three children at St.Thomas the Apostle. This school has changed for the best in the last year and a half. I can not say enough wonder things about the current leadership that supports the staff as well as the parents. All the kids love and respect her. The changes came from the inside and we can see it through out the building. A wonderful school and I would advise anyone looking for a close family, faithbased school to give St. Thomas a try.

St. Thomas the Apostle Elementary School 3

Posted August 11, 2011
I am a student a st.thomas and i have been there since second grade. I watched teachers and principals come and go, i also seen the schools good and bad side.We are very nice and welcoming, but you dont get what you need for the money.Send your child/children to a better place where your money is worth it. I am now an eighter grade who has gotten many awards and chances to do things. Come to this school for pre-k -5th.... not 6th - 8th. Trust me dont mess yourself up!!!!!

Posted October 18, 2010
St. Thomas offers a very nice, comfortable environment for students. Parent groups are very active. Academics should be more rigorous.

St. Thomas the Apostle Elementary School 4

Posted October 13, 2010
This school provided a warm and nurturing environment -- a haven in the midst of a big city at a time when my family relocated with our 3 children. The parent community is wonderful and friendly and the teachers are striving to provide the best academics possible.

Posted October 11, 2010
I absolutely love this school! This school has given my once shy 8th grader a voice. She has come alive achidemically and socially. My husband and I have four childen at St.Thomas the Apostle. We searched a long time to find a school to fit all our children. This is the one.

5467 South Woodlawn Avenue, Chicago, IL  60615
Last modified St. Thomas the Apostle Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8