No rating

Chicago City Day School

Private | PK-8 | 294 students

Student diversity

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $391,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,180.

Sweep tile

Posted October 9, 2013

This is one of those more traditional schools that might be seen as more academic or hardcore than others. Even at the elementary level, the school encourages and values academic aptitude, and is not shy about rewarding good work. The students in the more advanced groups are among the best prepared in the private school world.

Posted August 30, 2013

Chicago City Day School - the absolute best of the best! Every child in Chicago should have an opportunity equal to that provided by CCDS.

Posted March 20, 2013

(continued) If you have a daughter or a very motivated and book smart boy, CCDS is the place for you. Unfortunately I, along with many other boys (and some girls), had issues adjusting to this. We were not treated as if we had done something incredibly wrong if we approached the goal of an academic assignment in an alternate manner. The school is a wonderful place, but if you know a child or family that has attended through 8th grade, listen carefully to what they have to say and observe what type of student the child is. I am not trying to ruin the reputation of the school, I am simply offering the opinion of someone of an alternate learning style that the school's website says they also cater to. CCDS can be Chicago's elite, if the administration allows teachers to teach, but also discipline their veteran teachers. The facilities are wonderful and the food is very good, but there just needs to be changes to the schools fundamental flaws. (2/2)

Posted February 6, 2013

Uneven quality of teaching, particularly in the seventh and eighth grades. High student-teacher ratio strains communication between students and teachers. Very expensive tuition for mediocre teaching and zero technology in the classrooms.

Posted September 14, 2012

As a former student of CCDS I can honestly tell you that you are making the right investment by sending your child to this magnificent place. I went to city day from jk-8th. It was the best years of my life. From the nurturing teachers to the endless opportunities you will be extremely satisfied. It is a sense of community and family. It is a small school but I think this is best. You get one on one time with your teachers and that is wonderful. Another reason why I like CCDS so much was that bullying and misbehaving were zero tolerance. We were taught to always be on our best behavior and that every child was to be treated the way you wanted to be treated. If you are considering sending your child to Chicago City Day School I highly recommend it. There is truly no other place like it. Do not hesitate they will have the time of their lives. I know I did.

Posted February 15, 2012

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest"- Benjamin Franklin. Chicago City Day School is a perfect example of this statement. As an eighth grader at CCDS, i can honestly say that i feel that i have gotten the best education possible here. this is an exceptional school as anyone visiting us can tell. with supportive teachers and motivated students, CCDS has a community atmosphere where no kid feels left out. i have the best friends in my class and i have great relationships with my teachers. with yearly class trips starting in fifth grade and the optional trip to Bimini, the opportunities are endless at CCDS. at this school, there is no "I think I'll sit out of this one" because everyone wants to participate and learn with their friends, and no one is afraid or embarassed to learn and ask questions. with the premier high school counseling in Chicago, everyone gets their pick of high schools in eighth grade. i will be so sad to leave this school at the end of this year, but i know that change is good and that i am really ready for my higher education.

Posted August 19, 2011

What fabulous teachers we have found at Chicago City Day! My son is thriving and thrilled to go to school every day! He can't wait for school to start. The challenging academic program has my son fully engaged. At the same time, the school is nurturing and fun. Excellent school, excellent teachers, excellent leadership and excellent families. So happy to have found Chicago City Day School. Very exciting to see my young son grow in so many ways into an incredible young man.

Posted March 29, 2011

We were lucky enough to have our choice of private and public schools to choose to attend. As time goes on I'm more convinced than ever that we made the best choice. CCDS has encouraged my child s curiosity, nurtured her talents and allowed her to be a confident, well-mannered little girl. The teachers have been excellent and the principal knows every child not just their name but who they are. I ve also been hugely impressed with the sense of community and the generosity that I ve personally witnessed. This is a great school.

Posted October 13, 2010

Small, intimate school with beautiful facilities, a plethora of "extras" like art, drama, and shop that are part of the regular school day, and solid academics. Exceptionally friendly parents, warm and helpful administration, and excellent placement into top schools (Ms. Clayton is very well-known and respected in the independent school community, and will get on the phone to lobby for her kids.).

Posted August 30, 2010

I am a student here at this school, and I am going in to 8th grade. I have had a wonderful time at this school and I will be sad to leave. I have had many challenging classes especially in 7th grade. It was wonderful because I took Algebra 1 with two other students and we all really got to spend one on one time with the math teacher. I disagree with people who say the student-teacher ratios are messed up. The average number of students per 1-2 teachers is about 25-30 students per grade. Overall, great school. I have made amazing friends and am learning a lot.

Posted February 27, 2010

My parents and I both agree that this school is horrible. After going to the school for 8 years i am able to say that there are a few great teachers. However if you choose to go to the school or send your child there do not expect them to be their own person. Being at all different at this school will mentally ruin you or your child as it did me and many of my classmates. The administration seems to not understand how to communicate with parents, students, and its staff. The school strives to collect as much money as it possibly can from the parents. This school ruined me, expensive is not always the better option, there are much better schools out there that can bring you or your child a better education. I'm not saying this school is bad for everybody but most of my grade despised it.

Posted January 16, 2009

Very nurturing & academically challenging. My child has thrived here since JK. Each August, students participate in a coral reef expedition to Bimini aboard the Shedd Research Vessel, Coral Reef II. A few years ago, we were the sole organization that monitored the coral reefs at a time of devastating damage from hurricanes. Jean-Michel Cousteau, yes of that Cousteau family, requested permission to use our kid s research. How amazing is that? He came to CCD to speak last September. His message You save what you love . A great lesson for all. I have never felt pressured to donate beyond the tuition. There is a lack of racial diversity at the school. The Spanish dept. is in transition but getting better. Our kids are bright and get placed into great high schools. We have found life long friends at CCD which is icing on the cake. Truly a wonderful school.

Posted December 31, 2008

A child can get a good, standard education here, but both science and foreign language are weak. More disturbing, however, is the school culture, which is both static and closed. Conformity is highly valued and community values, especially of compassion and respect among students for each other, are ignored. Without deliberate efforts to build a culture, one that transcends Social Darwinism, you get what's left: students who ingratiate themselves to teachers and undermine each other.

Posted December 15, 2008

This is a fabulous school. Our daughter has received a wonderful education and wonderful, supportive attention from her teachers.

Posted December 14, 2008

To continue, CCDS's greatest weakness is the administration. The school is well run, but the administration can be stand offish with parents; in that, it is the school's way or no way. They hear parents and listen, but in the end they will make whatever decision they feel is appropriate, despite your input. This can be a negative for obvious reasons, but it is also good sometimes. The school deals with some very powerful and pushy parents, who sometimes need to be put in their place especially in the overall interest of the school. Its not perfect, but its very good. Looking at CCDS, Latin, and Parker (the three best grade schools in chicago), none of them are better or worse than each other, they're just different. For me CCDS was the best choice and I thank my parents for making it. I had an amazing ten years at the school.

Posted July 8, 2008

we were very excited by acceptance to this scholl, but soon were bitterly disappointed; as one of the reviewers noted, if you child is not like others, headmistress doesn't want him/her. academical skills are not on the list of teachers' priorities; but little 'pet' projects of Mrs. Clayton are. Lack of diversity and, most of all, inability of many teachers to grasp the concepts of cultural difference, bilinguality, and different temperaments are striking. fundraising is the first priority; I understand they need endorsemets, but should't it be more subtle. anyway, don't waste your money; if headmistress disliked you, look for new school.

Posted June 14, 2008

This school has a few good classes with great teachers. But don't be deceived by the appearance. This school cares more about the appearance than the students.

Posted May 31, 2008

This school offers wonderful foreign language, and science programs. It offers art as well as technology classes. This school has a beautiful appearance on the in and outside. The teachers teach the kids to have discipline and have fun at the same time. Student learn many things everyday.

Posted August 6, 2007

Chicago City Day School has a really terrific facility. It is a terrible shame that the school has large student/teacher ratios, extraordinarily over-crowded classrooms, a non-communicative headmistress.

Posted May 9, 2007

My child attended CCDS from JK through 8th grade. He was accepted at the three best private high schools in chicago, Walter Payton, and into the I.B. program at Lincoln Park High School. While Mrs. Clayton is a dominant force at the school, she's an advocate for children. Today, my child is attending one of the most prestigious colleges in the USA. As are most of his CCDS Alumni.

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

541 West Hawthorne Place