PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

CCDS is a fantastic school! This school knows what they are doing! The class ratios are NOT large! The way the school is set up is rotation style. I like it better because children get a chance to interact with many different teachers throughout the day and in small groups (around 2:1 - 10:1). There are parts of the day where students are in their large home room, but this gives the kids a chance to be together as a grade. I have never seen happier children before! This place is fantastic! I trust them.

Chicago City Day School is absolutely wonderful. What a fabulous place for children to thrive! My children have grown so much! How fantastic that the JKers have 8 different teachers - one for homeroom, foreign language, science, library, gym, music, drama, and art. SKers present in a science fair. I love that in the first grade the students do multiple speeches throughout the year. Starting around 1 minute long and by the end of year, the speeches are 3 minutes. And shop class - Industrial Technology - start in 1st grade. One of my child's favorite classes.......although now Computers is taking the lead of his favorite class. We are so looking forward to each new year and the excitement of learning new things! How fortunate we are to have this opportunity.

My daughter has been attending Chicago City Day School, and she loves it! Their academic philosophy is to use best teaching practice methods from multiple disciplines to meet their student's needs while creating a nurturing environment for them to thrive. The families of the school have been welcoming and my daughter's peers are kind and thoughtful children, I could not have asked for a better school experience.

As a former student at CCDS I felt like it was an awful school, for me at least. The principle had said to my mother that I was being stupid in a situation where I felt bullied. Some teachers are good yet others are not good at all. The students in my class were also rude to me. The school is good academically yet the social situation is not good at all.

This is one of those more traditional schools that might be seen as more academic or hardcore than others. Even at the elementary level, the school encourages and values academic aptitude, and is not shy about rewarding good work. The students in the more advanced groups are among the best prepared in the private school world.

Chicago City Day School - the absolute best of the best! Every child in Chicago should have an opportunity equal to that provided by CCDS.

(continued) If you have a daughter or a very motivated and book smart boy, CCDS is the place for you. Unfortunately I, along with many other boys (and some girls), had issues adjusting to this. We were not treated as if we had done something incredibly wrong if we approached the goal of an academic assignment in an alternate manner. The school is a wonderful place, but if you know a child or family that has attended through 8th grade, listen carefully to what they have to say and observe what type of student the child is. I am not trying to ruin the reputation of the school, I am simply offering the opinion of someone of an alternate learning style that the school's website says they also cater to. CCDS can be Chicago's elite, if the administration allows teachers to teach, but also discipline their veteran teachers. The facilities are wonderful and the food is very good, but there just needs to be changes to the schools fundamental flaws. (2/2)

Uneven quality of teaching, particularly in the seventh and eighth grades. High student-teacher ratio strains communication between students and teachers. Very expensive tuition for mediocre teaching and zero technology in the classrooms.

As a former student of CCDS I can honestly tell you that you are making the right investment by sending your child to this magnificent place. I went to city day from jk-8th. It was the best years of my life. From the nurturing teachers to the endless opportunities you will be extremely satisfied. It is a sense of community and family. It is a small school but I think this is best. You get one on one time with your teachers and that is wonderful. Another reason why I like CCDS so much was that bullying and misbehaving were zero tolerance. We were taught to always be on our best behavior and that every child was to be treated the way you wanted to be treated. If you are considering sending your child to Chicago City Day School I highly recommend it. There is truly no other place like it. Do not hesitate they will have the time of their lives. I know I did.

"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest"- Benjamin Franklin. Chicago City Day School is a perfect example of this statement. As an eighth grader at CCDS, i can honestly say that i feel that i have gotten the best education possible here. this is an exceptional school as anyone visiting us can tell. with supportive teachers and motivated students, CCDS has a community atmosphere where no kid feels left out. i have the best friends in my class and i have great relationships with my teachers. with yearly class trips starting in fifth grade and the optional trip to Bimini, the opportunities are endless at CCDS. at this school, there is no "I think I'll sit out of this one" because everyone wants to participate and learn with their friends, and no one is afraid or embarassed to learn and ask questions. with the premier high school counseling in Chicago, everyone gets their pick of high schools in eighth grade. i will be so sad to leave this school at the end of this year, but i know that change is good and that i am really ready for my higher education.

Last modified Chicago City Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8