School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Excellent dedicated teaching staff. My child loves attending school. Lots of options regarding extr curricular activities. Great college readiness program.
September 16, 2016

Bad
Good

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted September 16, 2016

I'm so happy my kids are going here. Yes, the neighborhood is depressed, but the staff is very cognizant of the dangers, and they do everything they can to keep the kids safe. This includes offering shuttle bus service, and walking kids to bus stops to wait with them. (The security guards walk to the corner with the kids, then pretend not to know them, just as any teenager would like from their parent:) The teachers and administrators are very responsive to parent suggestions and concerns, and really seem to be thinking about the best way to design and run a school/classroom. The school is not very ethnically diverse, and is mainly African-American, but as one of the few white folks, I can only say we have always felt welcome, and our kids haven't ever felt negatively singled out. Besides good staff, the students seem smart and respectful. The test scores have been dramatically improving over the few years it has been a selective enrollment school, and every year they add interesting new classes according to student interest. In addition to strong math and science curriculum, we have been pleasantly surprised by excellent arts and languages.

Lindblom is great school to attend because of its diversity, teachers, and overall environment. It's so easy to blend and and not worrying about pier criticism. Beacuse of its diversity, you learn about differnt cultures and how to work with people. Finally, the teachers at Lindblom are incredible because they actually sit down with you one on one if you need help. Which is rarely needed due to their excellent teaching skills. One of Lindblom's 2014 8th grade graduate.

Lindblom is an excellent school. As an alum, I must say my experience at Lindblom has been one of the most captivating experience I have ever had. I attended Lindblom from 7th- 12th grade. I was that average student. But I received so much help, from teachers and fellow students. This is one of the greatest schools in the city. Hopefully when it comes time for my daughter to pick a High School, this will be one of her top choices.

This beautiful historic landmark building, has a wonderful faculty. The teachers seem enthusiastic to teach and are great with the kids. They are supportive and make themselves available for tutoring. With less than 1,000 students, the classrooms are not overcrowded and teachers get to know students. As a parent who is not from that neighborhood, safety was a concern. It is in a rough neighborhood, BUT, security is always present, a CPD officer is always around, and there have been no safety issues inside the school with the students. Classes are challenging and takes some getting used to with 100 minute classes ( 4 periods a day). No regular classes on Wednesdays but instead have colloquium classes in which students receive extra support/ help with their work. This school should not be overlooked.

Lindblom is a good school. The teachers tend to cater to the smart students. The school is not very good for the average student. The teachers could care less about the average student. There is no support at Lindblom if you are an average student.

i attended this school in 1979,and was to graduate in 1983,but i moved away in my senior year...i must say that it was a great school then...very challenging,but it brought out the best in me,although my personal life was in chambles,i looked forward to going to school each day,,,my homeroom teacher was mr. golden,and my two favorite teachers were mr. aitichen(argitechial drafting),and ms. greeney(commercial art).....thank you lindbloom for a great education

My daughter just graduated from this excellent school in June. During her 4 years, not only was I extremely impressed with the challenging curriculum Lindblom has, but also with the very caring teachers, staff and principal. At graduation, there were several hundred students there and Mr. Mather knew each child's name; when I jokingly asked him about that, we replied that these are his kids; and that was so heartwarming for me to hear because there are a lot of schools in which the kids are just numbers. Wonderful school!

I have recently graduated from Lindblom Math and Science Academy and the reality is that the school is excellent and the workload is very challenging . The school has some of the best teachers in the area, who not only teach the students, but learn from the students as well. The teachers are very considerate and continue to push the students to do the absolute best. The teachers want you to succeed in your classes. Lindblom has provided me with opportunities that I would have never been able to obtain at other high schools. From attending Lindblom, I was able to take rigorous, all honors and AP level courses that have definitely help me in college. Secondly, I was able to take Mandarin Chinese and was given the opportunity to study in Shanghai, China with a scholarship.(Not many students are given this opportunity, especially on a high school level). The only thing that I did not like about the school was its limited diversity. I strongly believe the reason why this school never gets any credit or any attention is because it is located in the SouthSide of Chicago and in a fairly bad neighborhood. Honestly, It is just as great as any other selective enrollment school in Chicago.

Our daughter is happily entering her 2nd year (8th Grade) in Lindblom's Academic Center program, after attending both private and public elementary schools. As others have noted the coursework certainly is challenging, but my daughter has been fortunate to find a school that forces students to strive for academic achievement while also providing a welcoming (and even nurturing) environment for students who are intellectually gifted yet still have learning and/or organizational challenges. For our daughter, I doubt there is a better public or private school.

Last modified Lindblom Math & Science Academy High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.