Posted September 04, 2014
Montessori education was meant to public. Suder is a perfect example of what a diverse Montessori education should look like. We are grateful for the high quality teachers and welcoming community at Suder. Our voice is valued and we thoroughly enjoy a school community that cares. Our children are flourishing due to a strong literacy program and teacher's ability/curriculum focus on the individual child, not a series of test scores. Education is about guiding the child's natural enjoyment of discovery not forcing children to learn. Level ratings mean nothing - visit the school, talk with parents, students, staff, attend LSC meetings - help create something positive that will last a lifetime.

Posted July 11, 2014
We have had many years of great teachers at Suder, even though administration has changed. Like all schools, there will be a teacher that will move on in their career or will need to be let go. That has been less than 2 percent at Suder over the years. I find it sad that there are complaints that the school changed tiers or that the PTA isn't welcoming, when in fact it is parent involvement that makes a school great. Other great schools have parents there every day volunteering--this is why they are great. Get involved and make a commitment to your child'd education and things will change. One day a year is not enough. I day a week is what other parents at Tier 1 schools are giving. Remember only your hard work can make positive changes--it takes a village.

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 4

Posted April 17, 2014
My child has been at this school sine she was three and now she is in 4th grade. Even through the changing of three principals, my child changing teachers every year (which is VERY unusual for Montessori schools) I STILL say that this school has been EXCELLENT for my daughter and I cannot imagine taking her anywhere else. Like every school, I as the parent have had to be very involved in the day to day and will continue to be until I feel that it is time to move on. This year marks our first 8th grade graduation since we became a magnet school. Everyone who are "worried" about our school slipping from tier 1 to tier 2 seem to forget that CPS warned that our scores would decline this year due to the shift to Common Core. Our scores will rise again and we will be back to stronger than ever if we keep working. That is why I stay in the PTA and stay informed through the LSC. Suder will be stronger than never.

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 1

Posted March 25, 2014
How are you gonna say (A parent) that they don't give out "A's" for good behavior, when that's exactly what I've been experiencing for the last 2 years. Not only have I had this experience, but two other parents have had the same experience. One parent has already removed their children and now another parent and I are removing our children. Don't say that it's a lie....just say that that has not been your experience. It is not a lie , IT IS A FACT. All anybody has to do is look at how the test scores have dropped and see how the school has went from a level 1 school to a level 2 school to see the truth. Pay attention potential parents, do thorough research before you make your decision, this is your child's education you're dealing with.....The school is DEFINITELY NOT what it used to be

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 3

Posted March 25, 2014
My child has attended Suder for a couple of years and I am pleased with her progress. My only complaint with the school is that you need to be part of the clique if you want to actually contribute to the PTA. You can join, but the oversight of the parents in charge is stifling. It is a shame, I get the feeling those parents believe there is enough family participation. What there is a lot of, is attrition at the Kindergarten level. Families that feel welcome would stay longer.

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 2

Posted March 07, 2014
I was once a champion of Suder, however the last two years have been disappointing. Many involved parents and teachers saw the writing on the wall and moved onto other schools. Along with another a parent, i believe the good grades my daughter receives are not indicative of where she should be at her grade level and at this point I cannot wait any longer for things to improve. I think the EC program is still stellar but past 3rd grade is sad. Parental involvement is down and that reflects on the children's behavior. Unfortunately too many teachers are having to play babysitter to unruly children instead of having the opurtunity to teach. I pray things change because when we first came to Suder it felt family and the curriculum was challenging. I believe the Principal does not have or earn the respect of the staff, the kids or the parents.

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 2

Posted December 07, 2013
My children came to Suder 4 years ago and I was so happy. Things have changed dramatically since the new principal was hired last year. The quality of education as declined at an alarming rate. The principal is incompetent and fails to respond to emails and concerns. Peace circle used to be a beautiful thing, but now it is chaos and it's clear the principal has no authority over the students. The school is a sinking ship under this principal and I am moving both of my children out at the end of this year. It saddens me to see this great school fail when there was so much potential. The only chance this school has for success is to get a new, dynamic, competent principal. If you are looking for a new school.

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 1

Posted November 16, 2013
My daughter attended this starting last year and things were just ok. But this year is horrible, there's no organization, all of the good teachers quit last year. The school was a level 1 and now has dropped down to a level 2 and the other marks were really bad. I am looking to get my daughter out of here immediately. The bullying is out of control also which another reason why I have also chosen to leave. Things are progressively getting worse here parents beware!

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 4

Posted October 11, 2013
My children have been at this school since 2010. The teachers, staff, and parents are all dedicated to creating a positive learning environment. Anytime I have had an issue, the teacher or administrator I have spoken with has been very responsive and worked with me to find a solution that allowed my children to thrive. I also really like that the school is so diverse and that the classroom sizes are not overwhelming. This school is little gem that will only get better.

Posted September 27, 2013
This Grammar School is outstanding and very caring. In the four years my daughter has attended, the school has moved forward and each change has added to the quality of the facility and educational experience. The curriculum is the best offered by any private or public school in Chicago. The Principle and Asst. Principle are both amazing and care for their students as well as communicating with parents. My daughter is very happy, she loves Ms. Essling, and loves every subject she teaches. Communication from and to the teacher and administrators is constant. Although, my daughter was accepted to high rated school, overall this was the school that interest me the most.

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School
2022 West Washington Boulevard, Chicago, IL  60612
Last modified Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top