Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted March 06, 2016
The teachers care. It shows! One of my kid's "hated" a teacher because she pushed him and pushed him and he needed that. He needed those pushes.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted March 06, 2016
Homework is determined by each teacher and can be based on child's needs. Each kid learns differently.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted March 06, 2016
My child now understands he has to finish what he begins... School work, projects, reports. A skill that will follow him for the test of his life.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted March 06, 2016
The diversity of the children at Suder makes it easy for children to show empathy, and compassion. These children Have diverse family structures, cultures, demographics, from all over the city.

Posted March 06, 2016
My children have greatly benefited from attending this school, both academically and emotionally. The teachers, the parents, the administration LSC and PTA members all work together to make this school a community that can work for each child. CPS isn't doing well and there are cuts everywhere, bit then current principal, has somehow made Suder's budget work and all of the arts are still at Suder :) And, when people work together, as we do here at Suder, the children achieve and succeed!

Posted September 04, 2014
Montessori education was meant to public. Suder is a perfect example of what a diverse Montessori education should look like. We are grateful for the high quality teachers and welcoming community at Suder. Our voice is valued and we thoroughly enjoy a school community that cares. Our children are flourishing due to a strong literacy program and teacher's ability/curriculum focus on the individual child, not a series of test scores. Education is about guiding the child's natural enjoyment of discovery not forcing children to learn. Level ratings mean nothing - visit the school, talk with parents, students, staff, attend LSC meetings - help create something positive that will last a lifetime.

Posted July 11, 2014
We have had many years of great teachers at Suder, even though administration has changed. Like all schools, there will be a teacher that will move on in their career or will need to be let go. That has been less than 2 percent at Suder over the years. I find it sad that there are complaints that the school changed tiers or that the PTA isn't welcoming, when in fact it is parent involvement that makes a school great. Other great schools have parents there every day volunteering--this is why they are great. Get involved and make a commitment to your child'd education and things will change. One day a year is not enough. I day a week is what other parents at Tier 1 schools are giving. Remember only your hard work can make positive changes--it takes a village.

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 4

Posted April 17, 2014
My child has been at this school sine she was three and now she is in 4th grade. Even through the changing of three principals, my child changing teachers every year (which is VERY unusual for Montessori schools) I STILL say that this school has been EXCELLENT for my daughter and I cannot imagine taking her anywhere else. Like every school, I as the parent have had to be very involved in the day to day and will continue to be until I feel that it is time to move on. This year marks our first 8th grade graduation since we became a magnet school. Everyone who are "worried" about our school slipping from tier 1 to tier 2 seem to forget that CPS warned that our scores would decline this year due to the shift to Common Core. Our scores will rise again and we will be back to stronger than ever if we keep working. That is why I stay in the PTA and stay informed through the LSC. Suder will be stronger than never.

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 1

Posted March 25, 2014
How are you gonna say (A parent) that they don't give out "A's" for good behavior, when that's exactly what I've been experiencing for the last 2 years. Not only have I had this experience, but two other parents have had the same experience. One parent has already removed their children and now another parent and I are removing our children. Don't say that it's a lie....just say that that has not been your experience. It is not a lie , IT IS A FACT. All anybody has to do is look at how the test scores have dropped and see how the school has went from a level 1 school to a level 2 school to see the truth. Pay attention potential parents, do thorough research before you make your decision, this is your child's education you're dealing with.....The school is DEFINITELY NOT what it used to be

Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School 3

Posted March 25, 2014
My child has attended Suder for a couple of years and I am pleased with her progress. My only complaint with the school is that you need to be part of the clique if you want to actually contribute to the PTA. You can join, but the oversight of the parents in charge is stifling. It is a shame, I get the feeling those parents believe there is enough family participation. What there is a lot of, is attrition at the Kindergarten level. Families that feel welcome would stay longer.

2022 West Washington Boulevard, Chicago, IL  60612
Last modified Suder Montessori Elementary Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.