Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Tarkington School lacks in so many areas . The Leadership J.Reisner, Brown ,Hatcher and Govan are not at all qualified to be in a leadership position .They care more about the look of the school instead of the students, parents and staff . This school has so many issues with Bulling and discipline the Dean of Students has no clue of how to deal with issues but instead tries to be buddies with kids that are breaking all the rules . The Principal avoids issues and prefers to pretend all is well while staff are having issues with students behavior that other kids can't even learn . Kids are expected to be at a level 0 at all times . There are more subs needed at this school then in most schools . Kids are constantly having specials that are given by unqualified teachers or Subs. This New Administration got rid of all their Profasionals that knew the students and have been there for many years due to budget cuts and hired under qualified staff that do not supervise the kids . I would not recommend this school and if your child goes there you need to ask them what really going on there behind closed doors . Ask them about the subs the fights the chaos in their classroom on a daily basis . They need new leadership at that school.

I am a former student who attended Tarkington from 5th grade on and while there were a few staff members who were genuinely engaged in putting effort towards us (the students) and what we needed to do our best, most of the teachers and staff did not really care to offer help or even teach us the materials right. I attended Hurley before this school and would recommend it so much more than Tarkington, there we had teachers who were involved and such a better learning environment overall.

Tarkington is racist and they are not for all students. They make different policies that doesn't meet the needs of all students. Tarkington is not excellence they need to define what excellence mean....

My child currently attends Tarkington School of Excellence. I do agree that the school is a terrible school. My son has been in the school since Pre K. The teachers lack all the essential skills that are needed to be a teacher. Also at no point was I informed that thiswas a Spanish based school. I recall a field trip that I attended in his PreK class. The teacher read the instructions for the trip in spanish and didn't read it in engilsh. So I asked if she planned to read it in english she proceeded to say I figure since you speak engilsh you can read it on your own. I was rather bothered by this because if you are reading something in one language it should be read in all languages that are spoken in the classs since she chose to single out spanish. When my son returned for Kindergarden his teacher Ms. Boseman was very rude and didn't treat the kids farely. My son had to write a story about what super hero he would be. He was so excited but when he turned in his paper the teacher told him tell your mom not to do your work. I asked her about it and she said oh I didn't mean it like that. From the beginining when communicating with the teaching staff I have been dissapointed.

I love Tarkington because it is an excellent school with very good instructors who care about the students.

My son started Kinder at Tarkington. He went to a private pre-school before. I was hesitant to enroll him at any CPS school, but my son, now in 1st grade, is reading, writing and eager about math and school. In fact, he is being taught more than some of my friends who have their children in private schools in the same grade.

My child attended Tarkington School of 'Excellance' as they claim for three years, K-2 grade. And I have to say I am very disatisfied with the involment of the teachers and staff when it comes to working with parents and students. Since K, my child had problems academically in class and after many attempts of speaking with teachers and staff the only help or advice I received was to turn off the TV and no toys. The school lacks experice teachers and I feel its nothing more than a playground for new teachers and staff fresh out of college, because it seems they don't know what the hell they r doing. I think every person knows that theory learned in school doesn't apply 100% in the real world, and the tearchers and staff need to think outside the box.

Last modified Tarkington Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.