No rating

British School of Chicago

Private | PK-12 | 835 students

BSC is best known for offering a high-performance international education.

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $335,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,080.

Posted January 6, 2010

My children have been in this school for the past 3 years and I cannot say enough about how highly I regard not only the teachers but the senior leadership team as well. Lots of parents are very quick to criticize the school but very slow to actually give it credit when credit it due. I have just come back from a meeting with the Headmaster. This meeting, which was open to all parents at the school, was informative, helpful and most importantly, proved that the school does listen to parents. School fees have been frozen for some years for the next academic year, sibling discounts are going to be offered to families with more than one child and for the grades that will have a fee hike, the hike is lower than expected. What is not going to change is the quality of the excellent education the children receive.

Posted January 6, 2010

Our 4-yr old daughter has had a total transformation since starting a year ago at BSC. She LOVES going to school, and I am continually amazed at how quickly she is learning reading, writing, math and French. The teachers truly are the best of the best. I have seen some negative comments about the school's leadership which, frankly, I don't understand. It is precisely the school's leadership that has developed the curriculum, and continually fosters a world-class environment for children to learn. Yes, it can be a headache to deal with staff on an administrative level, but the focus is on the kids - not the parents. It was a definite selling point for us that squeaky wheel parents are not permitted to influence what happens in the classroom. If you are a squeaky wheel, you won't like this school.

Posted December 22, 2009

My children attended BSC for five years. In the beginning, they loved it. BSC really shines in early childhood education, and then it's all downhill. The teachers are mixed, although the early childhood ones are fantastic. The new school is a huge disappointment, with its small classrooms, no theatre, no outdoor green space, and mediocre quality 'parking garage' feel to it. The curriculum is all academics and no variety. The headmaster and other administrative staff are indeed unpleasant. I've experienced the threat of a contract cancellation in retaliation for applying to other schools. The high school nver seems to get off the ground. In fact, last year's senior year was cancelled last minute when it was determined that there were not enough students to make it profitable. My children are now in North Shore public schools and love it, with no loss academically.

Posted November 11, 2009

I love this school. My son just started in reception and we could not be more pleased with our decision. The individual attention is great, the teacher methods are creative and fun, and in just 6 weeks my 4 yr old has started to read. And loves it (so much for the admissions directors at other schools who told me early reading will 'destroy the love of learning'). Other parents are nice and down to earth. I absolutely love the international community, last month my son's class talked about how families in america, china and africa are both different and the same (and the chinese and african families in his class provided some real life examples to augment the learning). Check it out - we are so glad this is the school we chose

Posted November 2, 2009

This is our daughters first year at the British School of Chicago in a Reception Class. (Pre-K). She loves going to class and we are amazed with how fast she is progressing with learning to read and write. We would recommend this school to everyone. The teachers are pleasant and make learning fun.

Posted October 27, 2009

Our son has grown tremendously at the school socially and academically in his couple years at British. The teachers, other kids, individual attention, and curriculum are absolutely terrific. My biggest problem now is I don't understand what my son's saying sometimes now because he starts speaking French. It's a good problem to have. We hope both our kids go all the way through high-school at British.

Posted September 29, 2009

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but one thing that everyone will agree is that this school has excellent teachers and they truly care about the children. I'm amazed by the things my children learn and bring home each and everyday, including my child in nursery. The kids take in so much academically and culturally. It's exciting for me to see them enjoy but also grow.

Posted September 26, 2009

I have two children at the British School and am surprised to see negative, angry reviews on this site. We are very impressed with the education that our children are receiving and have no doubts that we made the right choice to enroll them here. We have had our children at two other small, private schools in Chicago at the nursery level, and feel that the British School is significantly more organized, thorough, responsive and frankly intelligent in their curriculum and growth strategy. The culture of the school is focused on academics and child success rather than a culture driven by their parents' salaries and attire. We are quite pleased and would recommend BSC to all parents interested in an exceptional education for their children.

Posted September 2, 2009

I am shocked by the negative postings! My very active four year old boy adores this school. The teachers are all warm, enthusiastic and love teaching. They care about each individual child and tailor the learning to each child's level. This school is turning my child into a bright and articulate little guy. The other parents in my son's class are wonderful people that I would have chosen as friends regardless. It is not unlikely to see moms taking each other's kids to social events, birthday partys and after school activites. For profit means everyone pays the same. So if you save every month for tuition or if you send a check without a second thought, you are treated the same. The tuition is what it is and there is no 'mandatory donations'. I love love love this school.

Posted August 5, 2009

My child went to BSC for three years and she hated it. The teachers were horrible, and so was the environment. The kids were mean and the food in the cafeteria was horrible. I do not reccommend this school!

Posted June 12, 2009

some of these reviews are not reliable. The British School does not have a high school. They provide a very demanding curriculum, the classrooms are too small for the number of students, there is no outdoor play area for the elementary kids and up (the reception and nursery does). In general is a good school but is not worth the high tuition. It is a for-profit school and it clearly shows. Parent body is obnoxious and pretentious. I would say: stay away.

Posted May 11, 2009

In response to the March 30th posting, the British School compares to Latin and Parker because of its academic program. Whether it is for-profit has nothing to do with it. What I can tell you though is that we certainly do have a community, a strong one, but it is directed by our children not our bank accounts or last name!

Posted March 30, 2009

My children attend the British School and have learnt to enjoy learning, are at ease with the teachers, have made many great friends and are achieving good results even in their weaker subjects. Extra curricular activities are fantastic. Paris as a school trip? In my day and at my school we would be lucky to visit a dairy farm or the local abbotoir. I live overseas away from my children but feel as comfortable as a lonely parent can be knowing that they feel safe and happy.

Posted February 26, 2009

My three kids go to the british and they love it! my youngest is in the preschool program and he loves going.My eldest is in 11 grade and she is being exposed to many wonderful colleges.The teachers are wonderful and very helpful.If you are considering sending your child (or) children this is the place to go! excellent feedback on how well your child is doing and you will truly be getting the best of it.

Posted February 25, 2009

My daughter started last fall in the nursery program, and we couldn't be happier. She absolutely loves it. She is having so much fun at school, and we are so impressed with all she has learned thus far. We just love the community there - the other parents and students are just terrific. And her teachers are absolutely fabulous. The opportunities for individualized learning are amazing as well. The feedback has been extremely thorough and comprehensive, and the school has been incredibly responsive in terms of addressing parent concerns such as creating additional opportunities for involvement in the classrooms. We cannot imagine a better overall school environment.

Posted February 15, 2009

I have two children at the British. It is a wonderful school, and my children are thriving in this academically rigorous, and challenging environment. The teachers and the principal are receptive to your comments. Is it perfect? No, it has its own negatives. But having seen a lot of other schools, by far, this is the right one in the city for my kids. I am shocked at some of the negative reviews that were submitted earlier. I have been with the school for 4 years, and have been happy overall!!

Posted January 16, 2009

I am student at BSC and I am thrilled with th eresults that I am getting from the school. I recently moved from England and am receiving high grades in all mt subjects. I am in the High school and am enjoying every minute in it. My attitude towards learning has changed dramatically and bow find every subject fun and interesting. The transition from England to Chicago was easy and the school welcomed me with open arms, I made friends in a matter of days. The teaching staff are with every step of the way and can be thoroughly relied upon. I like my teachers and have found that they know me much better being in smaller classes meaning they can adapt around my personal skills. I would recomend the school to anybody.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 1, 2009

My daughter has never been happier.

Posted December 29, 2008

I have two children at BSC and couldn't be more thrilled. My five-year-olds are reading, speaking French, adding numbers in their heads and telling time....and they absolutely love school! The teachers are wonderfully caring and knowledgeable. Parents have lots of opportunities to get involved in classroom activities and school policies. I agree that Headmaster Horton doesn't suffer fools. And I truly appreciate that the buck stops somewhere. No parent has more sway with the administration because they make huge donations. You pay your tuition that's it. What a refreshing change for Chicago private schools.

Posted September 6, 2008

BSC is indeed a good shool with both strengths and weeknesses, I do not think however one would be that hard pressed to find other schools that are as good if not better. There were indeed classes that were greater than 20 last year, it is my personal experience, this is simple addition. I do, however, believe thay have now addressed this. My biggest concern now is the school's commitment to a high school, whether it is the actual building or the administration's ability to help usher students in to a good university. The school is already outgrowing its space and seems to look more and more like a nursery school as they add more classes for the little ones. I see no actual movement toward a new high school. It is nice to hear promisses but already rumors abound as to the proposed HS site going to a different company.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Michael Horton
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • (773) 506-4805

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

• Drama
Media arts
  • Computer animation

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Arts and crafts
  • Book/reading club
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Drama club
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
SAT/ACT prep classes
College presentations or information sessions
College prep programs/courses during the year
Students' post-graduation plans in 2013