PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Old St. Marys School 3

Posted May 19, 2016
My children spent two years at OSM before we were relocated to another part of the country. I found the parent politics were similar to most other private schools (tolerable but cliques certainly present). The teachers and staff were warm and caring. However, the academics were sub-standard to other private schools we have attended and my children's current public school. My children were happy with student and teachers there but left unchallenged and often bored.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted April 12, 2016
Not a day goes by that I don't speak with a teacher from OSM or my own child's teacher- they make themselves very available to parents. Also- my daughter loves her kindergarten teachers and raves about them. If teachers were not effective- I would assume I wouldn't be hearing about them.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted April 12, 2016
My daughter seems to be very determined to do well in school. I believe this is being taught and upheld in the classrooms at OSM.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted April 12, 2016
The children I have seen appear to respect their teachers as well as classmates. We must teach our children at home what respect is and how it is earned and given.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted April 12, 2016
Again- compassion and empathy are learned behavior and sometimes it is innate. I know people who are caring but have no empathy skills. Between the work at home- and what OSM has provided- I say yes- this school has planted those seeds for my child.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted April 12, 2016
Definitely fairness. I believe honesty and compassion must be taught at home- and instilled in your own children- a parent must lead by example.

Old St. Marys School 5

Posted April 12, 2016
My daughter has been here for almost three years now. Some previous comments I must laugh at. First of all- the turn over rate is not that great. Plus- many of these are young teachers are getting started- they may move or get married and unfortunately have to leave. As for bullying - that goes on everywhere. My child has not experienced this yet. Some regular occurrences of children disagreeing have happened- but as her parent- IT IS MY JOB to correct the behavior and guide her on how to react. So contacting the parents is the good thing to do- if they choose to do nothing about it-well then at least you know who you are dealing with. It's called life. Academics are fantastic. The teachers are two to a room in pre-school and kindergarten. My daughter is excelling at reading and writing. And as a parent who IS NOT part of the parent clique- I get along just fine. It's called growing up - and being kind and if people don't want to talk to me- I see it as their loss. I am a huge fan of the Parish and the wonderful opportunities they offer to serve the needy and God.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted April 04, 2016
Two years in a row, my child had a new teacher. I think there's a lot to be said for experienced teachers and this school has a very high teacher turnover rate.

Old St. Marys School 1

Posted April 04, 2016
Our child attended OSM. At the beginning (K-2nd) it was great. After Dr. Calihan left, it went downhill. I agree with the other rater(s) who said if you have money or connections, you'll do well. I also agree with the rater who mentioned the bullying. Funny thing is, it's the connected families that have the children who are bullies. My complaints (which fell on deaf ears because we weren't a part of the parent clique) were more specific such as uniform disparity, overcrowding and dirty politics. Uniform disparity: the school uniform policy isn't enforced and changes frequently...sometimes mid-year. We went from woven shirts to polos (in two different colors) mid-year. The gym uniform also changed (other "options" added) at a random time. Children also wear gym shoes with their school uniform on a regular basis even though it's a violation of policy. Overcrowding: students were eating lunch in their classrooms and cleaning their own desks. Not only is that unsanitary, but children need a break from sitting in the same room all day. Dirty politics: one or two families run the show. Don't cross them or they'll act like it's high school all over again. Basically, this is an expensive charter school because there's not too much that's like a traditional Catholic school. In fact, many of the families aren't even Catholic.

Old St. Marys School 5

Posted May 29, 2015
My son is about to complete his first year of Preschool at Old St. Mary's School and I have nothing but amazing things to say about it. Like many parents, my biggest concern was how my child would transition from being at home to school. Although my son was very resistant the first couple of days, he always came home in smiles. By the third day he was so excited to go to school, he didn't want to leave! He quickly became very comfortable with his teachers who encouraged him to expand his social skills and make friends with all of his classmates. The progress that the has made throughout this school year and knowledge he has gained is astonishing. The teachers really hone in on each child's interests. It's fun to hear your child come home speaking words in Spanish, have the opportunity to take home the class turtle for the weekend, or bring home their various art projects. Also, every month the preschoolers go on a field trip that parents are able to chaperone; the experience is more than rewarding for everyone. There are so many opportunities to volunteer and get involved. If you don't have the chance to attend the events, the teachers update their activities weekly on classroom blog. In comparison to many of the preschool programs in the South Loop, OSMS is very comparable in price. It is definitely similar to the price of Catholic school in the suburbs. In my opinion, it's worth it to know that your child is happy and thriving! We didn't expect to live in the neighborhood for much longer, but this school has made us reconsider. We can't imagine taking our son out of this school, it is a great program. We can't wait to see what the next few years have in store for us.

1474 S. Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL  60605