Chicago, IL

Old St. Marys School 1

Posted November 20, 2014
If you have a lot of money or connections, you will do good at OSM. If not, they probably won't accept you. I guess if you are paying $8,000+ per student, you have to be well off to go there not to mention the building fund donation and all the other "donations" you have to make. This school is perfect for those families who are well to do and have extra money to give to the school. If you are middle class you don't fit in. It is far from diverse unless of course you are a rich black or hispanic. Go for the "interview" and see for yourself.

Posted January 07, 2013
Our daughter is now in kindergarten and previously attended OSM for two years of preschool. My wife and I can't say enough good things about this school, from the wonderful modern new building, to the excellent teachers, to the dedicated principal and staff, to the Catholic values taught there. But the best thing about OSM is the sense of community felt throughout ever aspect of the school. We are lucky to have such a wonderful school right in our neighborhood.

Posted August 09, 2012
I am so thrilled that my daughter and our family are part of this wonderful diverse community. The new school building opened in September 2011 and watching how the student enrollment keeps growing is amazing. The teachers and administrators are highly skilled, devoted and caring and there is a wonderful network of involved parents. My daughter is looking forward to beginning her fifth year at OSM!

Posted October 30, 2010
OSM is a wonderful nurturing Catholic school which gets stronger each year as it adds grades and expands its extracurricular activities. I have two children that attend the school with my oldest in his fifth year there. While he is learning the fundamentals of reading, writing and math, he also is being taught critical thinking skills and Christian values that help him to think about the world he lives in. There are some physical constraints in the school but these should go away once the new building under construction is completed next year. The teachers are talented and committed. The parents are involved in every aspect of the school, from the Board to volunteering for recess. The school leadership has enhanced the curriculum and the after school programs. Most families live in the South Loop and that makes it a close knit but inviting neighborhood school.

Posted April 28, 2010
I can't say enough good things about OSM. We have three children at OSM; our oldest has been at the school for five years. It is a caring, Catholic school and teaches children Catholic values. But is also offers a top-tier educational experience, with an innovative math and science curriculum. The teachers are fantastic: dedicated and committed, they model academic excellence. I quite simply can't imagine a better school for my kids.

Posted March 22, 2010
I was very disappointed in our welcome to this school as new transplants from another state. We enrolled our children -- all of whom are high academic achievers -- with very high hopes, but it was made very clear to us by school leadership within 2 days that our kids were not a good 'fit'. We were saddened, disappointed and upset by what should have been a more appropriate level of professionalism, and a more welcoming atmosphere for children adjusting to their very first relocation. We did have positive interactions with others on the school staff, including Ms. Julie, one of the pre-K teachers, so our experience should not reflect on the entire school. We transferred our children within 8 days. They are very happy at their new school and learning above grade level. Sorry to be negative here - I'm a very positive and optimistic person whose experience wasn't.

Posted October 20, 2009
I love Old St. Mary's because it is a family. They welcome your child as if they were a member of their family. It offers a exceptional curriculum for it's diverse students. The teachers are top-notch.

Posted September 25, 2009
Old St. Mary's is a great school! School is growing and teathers are very nice. We are very happy to choose this school.

Old St. Marys School 4

Posted September 01, 2008

Posted July 29, 2008
Old St. Mary's is excellent! The teachers are nurturing and constantly thinking of new themes for homework, etc. The students are happy and considerate. As a non-catholic parent, I was a little concerned, but felt that coming from a bad situation in the public school system, I had no choice. This turned out to be the best choice.

Old St. Marys School