Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The principal is organized and precise every time I see her.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

My daughter teacher is awesome ! I have seen the interaction of the other teachers from sports events, school activities and programs. They are great with the children and excellent at their jobs as educators.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

My daughter has homework every day from mostly all her subjects and I can see her progress every week.

It hard to find an elementary school in Chicago, IL that matches the educational system of Suburban schools. Providence comes very close to what I've experienced. They are attentive, hands-on, and dedicated. My daughter loves this school more than her suburban school she attended for two years, and this is her first year. I'm very impressed

As an Alumni I feel as though sending your child to this institution is I win/loose situation. Yes I can say that the curriculum is superb, But the amount of homework we received was dreadful and very time consuming. Not to mention all of extra curricular activities and all of this homework?? That doesn't mix. The most pressure I felt was in my 8th grade year. I felt noooooo support from my principal at all. The only graduate function she attended was graduation. My 8th grade class really didnt feel much support from anyone.The school also pressured all of their 8th graders to have this one school in consideration automatically, Providence St. Mel. As I followed through with the considered school, we fond out some sketchy things about the financial system ran in the school. If you feel you child is ready to take on this challenge feel free to send them. If not I would be looking for other schools. If I send my child in the near future there would have to be a new principal.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Usually when I used to get homework I got like 8 to 10 pages a day and then on Sunday they expected you to read a coupe chapters in a chapter book

Develops character: Neutral

Some teachers show favoritism towards other students so many students don't get some of the same opportunities as many of the other students

This is a great school, very disciplined and I absolutely love it!!! I have 2 children that attend the school and they love it too!!!! The staff is ALL about the children. Parental involvement is mandatory, so if your not into attending parent teacher conferences, attending school assemblies, and attending parent enrichment classes, then this school is not for your child.

This school is unlike your regular schools. They are Intense with their expectations of the students. They induce the readiness and appropriate cognitive level of the students to a degree almost illegal. Most parents feel that this is exactly what their child needs to be successful. I do agree, you should not underestimate your child on what she/he could do. However, there is a thin line between teaching, and pressuring. This school is more concern about their numbers than their students. My daughter, who attends PECS, is currently in First grade, and barley made it out of kindergarten. She is so stressed out by the work load of home work they give her, and the frequent testing that is almost everyday. I feel as though I am homeschooling my child, because It takes us 4 hours a day to do her homework, which is about 6-7 pages a day. Not your average homework for a first grader.

PECS is a place where every parent should be proud that their child attends. This is am institution of learning at it's best, in the Engelwood area. They are very strict and rigid, but isn't that what our children need to survive this world & compete academically? Parents whom are disgruntled about the school and it's policies are the ones who believe that it's only teachers & school systems who are responsible for their childs education. With that said, if you'd like to send your child to a place whet they are preparing to compete in a global world, then, send them to PECS & watch them soar.

Last modified Providence-Englewood Elementary Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.