Public charter
Chicago, IL

Posted April 26, 2015
This school model is model for the future!!! I am not joking. I received my education in Europe and in the US. I am familiar with both models. CVCS curriculum way was beyond my expectation (and I had quite a few)! I had to pull my daughter from a public school for health reasons. She has suppressed immune system and gets sick quite often. CPS was on my back for absence. But I could not do much about it since it's a condition. The idea of being at the learning center once a week appealed to me and I changed my employment to part time to accommodate this new commitment. Let me tell you - I have no regrets whatsoever! My child is a fast learner (when she is not sick). She finished kindergarten and 4 months and was advanced to the first grade program! I don't care if somebody looks at me cross eye. My daughter is much healthier and happier. And I am a proud mom. (Recently her teacher talked to me about Gifted and Talented Program. I know for sure that at the regular public school we would be struggling with staying on track due to absences. Well worth it!!!

Posted April 28, 2014
Great Staff, very nice and always helpful' Love the freedom of being able to teach my children at home along with the support of great teachers...

Posted April 28, 2014
The counselors and teachers were so patient with my son and really brought him out of his shell!!!

Posted November 06, 2013
This is "out-of-the-box" learning when compared to the traditional school building. This is a great option for families. This is a model of learning that allows parents to have a more hands on approach with one-on-one time. It is a partnership of parents, teachers, weekly traditional classroom learning, daily one-on-one learning at home and weekly web based classroom all combined for the benefit of the child. The curriculum is also very rich, it includes: Math, Grammar, Composition, Literature, Spelling, Vocabulary (Phonics for younger children), History, Health, Science and Art.

Chicago Virtual Charter School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
CVCS is a school of opportunity, and not just for it's student's but for the families and surrounding communities. We are a part virtual, part brick and mortar educational institution. We offer all students regardless of ability or disability grade K-12 a non traditional way of learning. We hold parents accountable for there role and responsibility in their child/children's education. We work together (staff/families/student's) building creativity as well as individuality in each student. When our student leave CVCS after 1 year or 12 years, they leave with a better learning foundation, and our parents with a sense of pride and self accomplishment. I don't know of another public school(brick and mortar) that's does that. Educating in the traditional way was good for earlier generations, but the world we now live in is inundated with every form of technology imaginable, so why not incorporate old school methods such as knowing how to "WRITE" a letter or do hand writing in cursive with new forms of technology such as power-point presentations along with research tools for use with any subject. Chicago Virtual Charter School offers the education of the future right here today!

Posted September 26, 2013
It is the mission of Chicago Virtual Charter School to empower every student, grades k-12, to flourish as an individual and citizen in a diverse, global society. CVCS is K12 s first blended model of both online and face-to-face instruction. Using K12 s award-winning curriculum, CVCS is able to provide a foundation of education for all students' future endeavors. It is delivered through the Online School and Learning Management System, which was created and developed by K12. For more information on the company or the curriculum offerings, visit the K12 website at www.k12.com. CVCS is composed of skilled, dedicated, and motivated administrators, teachers, and staff members. All CVCS teachers are highly qualified Illinois state-certified teachers. As a team, CVCS staff members work to empower students to flourish by providing effective and data-driven instruction to support students and Learning Coaches. CVCS also works closely with Chicago Public Schools (CPS), K12, The Illinois Network of Charter Schools, and other organizations.

Posted May 20, 2013
Pulled my child out of Blaine for numerous reasons (really didn't like being hit up for $$$ all the time "can you DONATE $2500 and an additional $2500 on behalf of a family that can't afford it, no typos, yes, $2500) and tried the RGC at Pritzker which we grit our teeth through 4 years and finally could not tolerate the bullying and time and attention it took just to make it clear to CPS that my child was not to be hit, kicked, bit, scratched, punched, hurt, etc...had to deal with retaliation to our family, both parent and student, and have finally found CVCS to enroll in. The people at the school are friendly and do not turn you away. There is a parent area. The history was broken down into 3 categories and was impressive in design and more than I expected my child to receive in the next 4 years at Pritzker. You are able to supplement your child's lessons and go deeper into material if you desire. At first I was apprehensive that my child would be on the computer all the time and the lessons are really not like that. The hybrid material requires some computer time but lessons are from books and written work is nicely guided. So far so good!

Posted October 15, 2012
Truth be told, I was skeptical at first of the idea of a hybrid model school for my child. We are all conditioned to think that attending the public school is the best way, until now. The school in our neighborhood was not very supportive, lacked in many areas, and had 32 children in kindergarten with only 1 teacher and no assistants. It was a difficult last year. I researched this school for about 10 months before we decided to enroll. The time commitment is definitely something the parents need to consider before making this decision. Once you are in, it's work but I can tell you that its worth the time and effort. Our son has been doing so well with this curriculum and is excited about learning more, attending the learning center, and looks forward to special projects. We got a routine now, and he looks forward to the one-on-one sessions, doing science together, math, phonics, language arts, social studies, even history and Art. The k12 material is phenomenal! I can't stress that enough. My child has more material, resources, tools and attention than he ever received at the local public school. The teachers at CVCS are excellent. You don't need a fancy building to LEARN.

Posted January 09, 2011
I have 2 children enrolled in this school and they both love it. The curriculum is excellent and the teachers are great.

Posted October 12, 2010
We are thrilled with CVCS. Our son was enrolled at one of the top ranking magnet schools in Chicago's north side for 2 years. The administration was not interested nor equipped to address his academic needs. Our initial decision to place our son at CVCS was due to the curriculum the school uses (from k12.com). The curriculum is out-standing. Now that we have been there for over one month, I am impressed by how well organized the school & staff are, how quickly (w/in 24 hrs) the staff respond to my queries & concerns, & how warm and professional my son's teacher has been. My son is an advanced learner. At CVCS, one can advance in math and language arts after s/he has been assessed by Scantron and the teacher. I emailed his teacher about advancing him in math & he was assessed & promoted to the next grade level w/in24hrs.

Chicago Virtual Charter School
38 South Peoria Street, Chicago, IL  60607
Last modified Chicago Virtual Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chicago Virtual Charter School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top