Posted September 03, 2014
I am a 7th grader in the options department at Bell School and I am honestly very happy where I am. Although I do think that the new principal is not as included and well rounded as the old one, I still find Bell to be such an including and wonderful school. I've been here since I was in kindergarten and I have made great connections with the student and the teachers. I would like to make a shoutout to the seventh grade options teacher (Mr. Klein) I think that he has prepared many students to be able to reach their full potential and get ready for high school which is an extremely helpful pro to Bell. The academics are really good for what I am aware of and some of the reviews saying that they aren't, are not really looking at all of the different view points and really looking at the work that their kid is given.

Posted May 13, 2014
I think this school has been a wonderful experience for my children! We moved in district just to go here and have not regretted it one second. It is a great community. The teachers are, on the most part, wonderful and caring and my children are thriving in their academic journey here. We have never experienced any bullying or elitist teaching staff as some have reported. I volunteer often in the school and feel I have a great rapport with the staff. They school encourages parent participation and volunteerism, a part that makes is so great.

Bell Elementary School 1

Posted May 09, 2014
If you scratch the surface of the hype surrounding this school, you will discover that all that glitters is not gold. I have had 2 kids at this school for the last 6 years and the truth is that this is the most over-rated school in Chicago. The environment is elitist and entitled. Bullying is rampant and not addressed. The "wonderful" education is mediocre at best. Unless you plan on donating a lot of money or spending hours volunteering, forget about your child being treated as anything more than a statistic. While there may be a few teachers who are wonderful, they are the minority and most teachers are extremely passive-aggressive in their attitudes towards the students especially in the upper grades. I moved to the neighborhood specifically for this school and wish I had stayed where we were. . There are a lot of other parents who feel the same way but are afraid to say anything for fear of repercussions.
2 people found this helpful

Bell Elementary School 1

Posted April 17, 2014
I do not recommend this school for anyone who has a deaf child. The principal is very inexperienced and is just worried about the how everything looks to impress outsiders. They confuse children and families.

Bell Elementary School 4

Posted September 26, 2013
I am happy that my daughter, who is now in 8th grade, is able to attend and graduate from Bell. It has been mostly a great experience - good teachers, parental involvement, and culturally diverse.

Posted August 29, 2013
With three different "schools" within the same building, Bell has an extremely diverse student population. Neighborhood, gifted and deaf/hard of hearing children have separate curricula but the faculty and administration are extremely creative in finding ways for the children to interact. On top of that, top notch staff, creative and dedicated teachers and an extremely strong parent organization have made Bell a consistently top ranked school not only within the Chicago Public school system but also the state. Academics, sports, fine arts, after school programming and more make this a welcoming school and deliver a great education.

Posted August 19, 2013
Bell school is wonderful. My son has been there for two years and loves it. He has an IEP and we were very concerned about a school appropriately providing for his learning needs (after being at other good school, just to be disappointed). Not the case at this school. The community is wonderful and very supportive to all students.

Bell Elementary School 2

Posted June 05, 2013
I am currently an 5th grade student at Bell School and I am frustrated with all "spirit" and festivals. In my opinion, they don't really have a real effect on the students' positive thinking and are a complete waste of time. I get that the staff is trying to promote kindness and acceptance, but, really, if they want us to treat each other better, they should work on THEIR leadership skills. I do realize that only we as students can stop bullying and other issues, but, it's really their job to educate us and guide us. With all the "fun" events right now, I think they are taking this issue too forcefully. You can't really "party away" bullying and I think they should take a softer approach towards this issue. Instead of going about into lalaland and planning not-so-creative events, they should listen to the people who are actually being bullied. I just don't think they truly understand what's happening backstage in OUR reality.

Bell Elementary School 4

Posted April 08, 2013
I am currently an 8th grade student in the Bell school options department, and my experience with bell school has been, on a whole, very positive. I have had some issues with the new principle and slew of new hires - we had two 1st year teachers in three years, both of which had to completely rewrite a curriculum for themselves, leading to a good deal of organizational issues and frustration. (especially considering how wonderful the teachers we would have had were). However, the community involvement, many of the teachers, and the academic and after school opportunities are exceptional and I, as well as my classmates, are prepared for high school next year.

Posted January 29, 2013
We have been at Bell (1st grade) for 4 months now and find it to be an exceptional school. We would love to get our daughter into the Options program but if given the choice between an option program in another school and staying in Bell's neighborhood program, i believe we would make the choice to stay at Bell. The teachers, faculty and community are wonderful and our daughter is thriving.

Bell Elementary School
3730 North Oakley Avenue, Chicago, IL  60618
Last modified Bell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bell Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 71 reviews. Top