Chicago, IL

Posted January 29, 2015
In response to the January 27th post, it should be noted that of the 6 parent reps on the LSC, 4 live within the Blaine attendance area. The LSC works hard with no compensation. To suggest that they are not acting in the best interest of the school is irresponsible.

Posted January 28, 2015
Best choice I made was not sending my child to Blaine, but taking him out. When problems arise, do not bother the network chief. That office will not mediate any problems and I don't know why we pay our tax dollars for all these echelons of administrators that don't have a function because as long as the test scores are high, they could care less about anything else. Thank you for letting me pull my child out in the middle of the year! My kid not only knows what a semi colon is, but he understands gerunds, infinitives, appositive phrases, and even participial phrases!!!
4 people found this helpful

Posted January 27, 2015
Heard the principal's contract is up for renewal. So many dissatisfied parents. But probably a shoo-in since the LSC is almost exclusively made up of out-of-district parents.
8 people found this helpful

Posted November 13, 2014
Why so much negativity written in these reviews? Parents should focus on the good things. Yes, the principal holds a book club once a month, it is a way to find out the way Blaine works, teaching methods and discussion on education in general. It is a good thing that the school has these social meetings, you get to know the school better. Parents criticize having a second assistant principal...again, I think it is a good thing..more involvement in the classrooms. I had my kids in this school for the past 10 years, the changes in good are tremendous, parents should appreciate an active principal, who speaks up for all children, who makes an effort to bring better ideas to the table. Teachers are helpful, I respect and I am proud of this school.

Posted September 23, 2014
I think the principal should send out an email telling the parents he can't run the school because he needs to advance his political career. He was complaining there is no money and now he has 2 vice principals. How does the school board allow this? CPS should look at all the children leaving this school for other local CPS schools.
7 people found this helpful

Blaine Elementary School 2

Posted August 17, 2014
This school has been a struggle from the start. I am wanting to switch my child out so bad. Any child with an IEP is not supported at all. This school, specifically the principle, is very focused on status and political agenda vs growing strong successful children that are set up for success. They may talk that their focus is the children, I wish it really was.
5 people found this helpful

Posted March 23, 2014
As a parent with children attending middle school at Blaine, I find the quality of education to be fantastic for a Chicago public school. There are definately areas that need to be improved, such as the large class sizes, and lack of communication skills of some of the teaching staff. The parental support, committment, and volunteer service at this school is outstanding! Not elitist. I admire these parent volunteers very much, as I work full time and can not commit as much time as they do. Bravo to the Blaine parent volunteers! I must admit, I am a bit perplexed by the two March 19 reviews (who are obviously by the same person, using the strange phrase "raving reviews" multiple times).Sentences such as "having a seventh grader is bad enough," should raise a red flag. Is it possible that it was not the school that failed this parent's seventh grader, but the parent? I strongly agree with this March 19th reviewer on finding actual Blaine parents to speak too. You would get a much better idea of the quality of the school.

Posted March 19, 2014
Most of the reviews below should start with " Hello beautiful people," that is Blaine's principal. Many think the "raving" reviews on Great Schools are being written by Blaine's Principal.I agree the higher the test score the bigger his BONUS, except he forgot the kids are people, not test scores. The Principal made his rounds during ISAT testing from 5th grade on; telling the kids how important the test scores are to his teachers and the school (10% of the teachers review comes from test scores.) I wish my child was not a test score but a student. As a parent my greatest concern is; 20 students out of 78 got into selective enrollment high schools. The middle school teachers failed these kids and so did the principal. Please, show up on the field and ask the parents, they can tell you Blaine is not the school it used to be. Our kids are test scores now. The principal receives a bonus with better scores! (Ask any parent if their child can spell or knows what a semi colon is.......they do not.) I have now paid for a tutor to teach my child because Blaine does not. Having a 7th grader is bad enough; having an administraion that does not care is worse!
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 19, 2014
If I could give this school less than one star I would. This is a horribly, elitist school led by an elitist group of parents & principal. Teachers are disorganized & apathetic to their student. They outwardly chastise the student for their disorganization. Who is the adult here? They are criminally ineffective & passive/aggressive with both parent & student. Teachers are on the defensive when contacted (IF they email back). Administration offers plenty of lip service without follow through. They only care about test scores to maintain their elitist rating amongst the other exclusive & high-end clientele schools of Chicago. It is a disgrace and appalling to witness how this school operates. Don't go by the 'raving' reviews in Great schools; talk to a few random parents after school and judge for yourself; then seek schooling for your child elsewhere.
5 people found this helpful

Blaine Elementary School 4

Posted February 21, 2014
In comparison to other CPS schools, Blaine is still a "top shelf" academic institution. I've done the research. I have always maintained an excellent rapport with my children's instructors because I make it my business to do so. Can the need for parental reinforcement within the educational process seem paramount at times? Absolutely. Are there times when the work load of the teachers fails to meet parent expectation in the middle? Absolutely. Does this make Blaine a less-than-stellar academic institution? Absolutely NOT. As a very hands on parent I can honestly say that I see learning taking place. Yes, I also see some "empty" memorization happening at times too but that's all in the name of the academic numbers game across the board, in ALL schools. But in our school the former definitely outweighs the latter. It's easy to stand on one side of the fence and bark, but until the day comes where human teachers are replaced by robots with a magic microchip, there will continue to be much work on the part of both parents and teachers to find that happy medium that leaves NO CHILD left behind. No teacher is perfect & I believe that teachers should be met with a little more compassion.

Blaine Elementary School
1420 West Grace Street, Chicago, IL  60613
Last modified Blaine Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blaine Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 103 reviews. Top