No rating

Brentano Elementary Math & Science Academy

Public | PK-12 | 546 students

Great programs, great teachers, after-school programs, project based learning

School Official Point of View

Posted April 15, 2012

Brentano is a great community school, our teachers and staff work hard to provide a quality education to every child. If you would like to visit and observe for yourself, please give us a call and we will take you on tour. Or come by during our Science Fair on May 18 at 5:00p.m.

Posted June 30, 2013

We are so proud to report that Brentano has scored in the top 1% of all schools in the United States for student growth in math and reading on the NWEA assessment. NWEA is a test taken by all CPS students in the fall and spring, and the award means Brentano students grew more this year, on average, than students in 99% of schools in the nation. Scores on standardized tests like ISAT often just reflect the abilities students bring into a school -- NWEA focuses on the gains each student makes, regardless of whether they enter a school especially ahead or behind. We don't think test scores are everything, but we know that tests like NWEA that measure each kid's growth say much more about a school's impact than tests like the ISAT. Brentano, as a neighborhood school, accepts students of all backgrounds. There is no test to get in and Brentano's students haven't had to win the lottery to be accepted. We couldn't be happier to have even more evidence of Brentano's success pushing all kids ahead. That's what makes Brentano such a remarkable place. As parents, that's exactly what we want in a school, and that's why we're so glad to be part of the Brentano family.

Posted October 13, 2012

I am a first year teacher at Brentano Math and Science Academy this year and I could not be happier with starting my teaching career at Brentano. Everyone from the administration, to the teachers, to the educational support personnel, to the school engineer, and school custodians are absolutely some of the greatest people I have ever met with the kindest hearts. I feel tremendously supported as a first year teacher and am so happy because I have an opportunity to be a part of the INCREDIBLE things that are happening at Brentano. For instance, the school has a phenomenal soccer field and an Illinois youth soccer program is offered to our students. Just this past week, the owner from Manchester United (UK futbol club) came to our school and all of our students were able to meet and take pictures with him. There are a plethora of before and after school activities that students can participate in to ensure that their education continues beyond just the classroom. I offer math tutoring every morning before school. There is cheerleading, dance, girls and boys basketball, drama club, soccer, tutoring, science club, and many more activities for students. Truly an amazing school.

Posted October 10, 2012

Parents, are you re looking for a great school? Then look no further, because at Brentano Math and Science Academy we will provide everything you need to meet your children s educational needs. Here at Brentano we offer students a challenging enriching curriculum with substantive value. Although, our academic emphasis veers toward math and science we also appreciate the value of the arts. This year in particular we have partnered with several programs including the Joffreyt Ballet, and Chicago Symphony Orchestra; to work with our school in educating and engaging our pupils in these innovative art forms. Please take some time and tour our enriching class rooms with purposeful centers. We look forward to seeing you! We hope that after your visit you will come to the like belief that our school is truly the best institution of learning for your child. Hopefully, it is with this revelation that you will allow us to welcome your children as new additions to our Brentano family.

Posted October 9, 2012

I am the parent of a 1st grader and alumni of this school. I will, by all means, keep my daughter here! It is a great school with great teachers. The neighborhood is wonderful as well as all the students. More than a school, all the students and staff work more as a family/team. It is impressive how well students adapt to their classmates and teachers so quickly! I believe that this school can only get better!

Posted October 8, 2012

Brentano is a gem in the neighborhood. In addition to a well maintained facility (both inside and outside), the school offers activities for all students. Activities range from the fine arts to sports and academic activities address students of all academic abilities. Teachers are creative and accessible. Many graduates are accepted to the Selective Enrollment schools and/or offered scholarships at private high schools. The teachers and principal are active with the community and work hard to provide a strong foundation for Brentano's students.

Posted October 8, 2012

Brentano is by far handsdown one of the best public schools in the city. As a graduating student from this school and now currently bringing my own son it has been an amazing journey being able to see the positive transformation the school has made threw out the years. It is because of the great teachers and wonderful staff that kept me loyal to this school and community. Trust me I would never have bothered in enrolling my son in this school if it was not worth it. My son enjoys his 1st grade teacher and I am ever so thankful for the extra mile she goes to keep me involved and updated. I am very proud and excited for the years to come and more memories to build!

Posted October 7, 2012

Brentano Math & Science Academy is fabulous school with wonderful students and staff. It is an exceptional learning environment for every child in the Chicago area. The community and support provided at the school renders positive students achievement. Critical thinking and project based learning are just two of many emphasized teaching strategies demonstrated to create their positive student-centered environment. The extracurricular activities (including numerous sports, after school clubs, and much more) help students succeed beyond the brick and mortar environment. The school does an excellent job preparing their students for college and career goals/expectations. Brentano is a great school for every child!

Posted October 7, 2012

As a parent of a child that attends Brentano, I could not be any more excited about her learning there. She comes home very enthusiastic about learning, and receives a wealth of information about recent as well as fundamental concepts. Her teacher is a wonderful teacher that provides students with great project based learning, focuses on infusing technology with Reading, Science and Math. My daughter enjoys her teacher and has learned so much in the short time that she has been in school. We love Brentano and think that its the best school she has attended. Please visit the school and see what great programs and projects are taking place daily in the classrooms and throughout the school.

Posted October 7, 2012

When I first arrived at Brentano to interview for a teaching position, the outside of the school impressed me. I noticed the great soccer field, the great and new looking playground and the basketball hoops. I also noticed a parking lot which was a plus since my last school didn t have a parking lot and the staff had to park on the street. I was impressed by the sheer size of the building. When I entered Brentano I was impressed by the cleanliness of the building. The school has lots of technology that other schools do not have. There are several LCD projectors, document cameras, and interactive white boards as well as computers in the classroom. They have a cart of laptops that teachers may use with their students. Teachers have access to educational videos, which include Digital Resources from NASA, Painting by the Masters, Bill Nye science videos. They also have two computer labs. We have recently received a box of iPads for student use. Parents, today, have many choices where to send their children and enrolling them at Brentano will be a wise decision to help their children get off to a great start in their educational career.

Posted October 7, 2012

As a parent of two children that attend Brentano I cannot express my gratitude to all the teachers and staff for their dedication and patience they give unconditionally. My children have learned so much and are eager to learn every day. They express excitement with their work/homework and I am sure this is due to the way hey are being taught. I appreciate that the lines of communication with teachers and staff are always open. Brentano is not only a school but it is also my children's second home. I could not have picked a better school.

Posted October 6, 2012

Brentano is an amazing elementary magnet school located in the heart of Logan Square. Having students from the local neighborhood and all over the city of Chicago, the school strives to serve the many different learners with a quite exceptional education. The school is the home of many dedicated teachers, staff, and administration who are seeking to provide a quality education and experience for each student. The teachers work very hard to provide quality instruction and build relationships not only with their students but also with the parents and surrounding community. Brentano is a project-based math and science academy that also provide many different extracurricular experiences for their students. With a variety of activities to chose from, students are able to explore their interests and talents in sports, art club, and even with the Chicago symphony orchestra. Please consider Brentano as a school to meet the needs of your child amd further their growth as an individual. We seek to prepare students of the furture who are college and career ready. We are looking to expand our tight-knit family to all across Chicago so please come check us out!

Posted October 6, 2012

If you have a child with learning disabilities, Brentano has wonderful program that focuses on both keeping your child in the general education classroom with supports as well as providing small group and resource services. Brentano also uses technology and software such as Lexia and Reading Plus, among others, to individualize and serve each student s needs. As a new special education teacher at Brentano, I am developing brief math lessons to be posted on line to support my curriculum both in and outside of class. Brentano is blessed with such dedicated, talented, patient, and experienced special education teachers. They are great.

Posted October 5, 2012

Brentano is a school that strives to reach and exceed the needs of all of the types of learners that attend. Brentano offers unique experiences, that many schools do not have. Brentano is currently in a partnership with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. This partnership allows the students of Brentano to have the chance to work with musicians and attend orchestra performances. Brentano is a special school that provides balanced literacy and a healthy environment for all whom attend.

Posted June 21, 2012

Brentano is an amazing school with very caring students. The school offers a variety of programs, from sports, dance, art, yearbook and much more! The students have an opportunity to particiapte in hip hop dance, salsa, cheerleading, ballet, soccer, basketball, rocket club, chess club, chemistry club, young scientist club, art club. The staff is composed of caring staff who are dedicated to the students. This year memeber of the staff have come together to write a variety of grants such as boundless readers, Chicago symphony, and more. I have been at this school for four years and through the excellent leadership of our principal we have enhanced our school through project based learning.

Posted April 22, 2012

This is my first year teaching at Brentano. I have been very impressed with the hard work, dedication, and quest for educational excellence that has been exhibited by the principal and staff members. I would definitely recommend this school and encourage you to schedule a time to visit the school in order to learn more about all of the wonderful educational opportunities that are offered.

Posted April 17, 2012

I have been working as a teacher in the blended preschool program for five years at Brentano. This is the only school I have worked at and would not imagine working elsewhere! The environment is friendly and very positive. Our principal believes in an outstanding form of education, which I completely agree and strive to implement in my own class. If you are new to Brentano or would like to know more, please do not hesitate to contact us for a tour!!

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Female52%

Low income49%
Students without disabilities55%
English language learners43%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Female53%

Low income42%
Students with disabilities (IEP)0%
Students without disabilities57%

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Korean
Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Illinois Spotlight Recognition (2009)

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 2:45 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • Martha E Rosa-Salgado
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (773) 534-4508

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated instruction based on ability
  • Core knowledge
  • Project-based

• Mathematics
  • Music
  • Science
  • Special education
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs
  • Spanish
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Assistant principal(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Remediation
College preparation / awareness resources offered
Transportation options
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

Performing arts
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Assist with special projects
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom