School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We are growing! Come learn more about our extraordinary neighborhood school. Email Principal Lavin at SLavin@cps.edu with any questions or to schedule a tour.
November 18, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

I am a Brentano parent who left the school when our child was accepted to a magnet school. We came back after a month and are grateful to be here. Brentano really is an amazing community. Even more than that, Brentano students are great kids. You can really see this when you or in the building or on the playground after school. I have visited other schools where I was nervous the older kids might trample my little one. I am confident about the kindness and character of Brentano kids, and I'm proud to be a Brentano parent. I don't have a lot to say about Brentano teachers other than that we adore Ms. Veronica and Ms. Gladys and look forward to working with the inspiring kindergarten teachers. From what I can see, though, I am confident about the education that my children will be receiving at this school in the future.

Several family members graduated from Brentano. Our three year old is attending the pre-school program this year 2015. It is heart warming and comforting to see the dedication and efforts from Ms. Veronica and Ms. Gladys room 105. Their passion and creativity transformed room 105 into an educating, comfortable and fun environment for our toddlers to be introduced to school. We are full time parents and it feels good to know that these two teachers take this introduction to our little ones seriously. Thank you Ms. Veronica and Ms. Gladys for all you do. God will reward your dedication to our children. You are both great example to all teachers and volunteers.

We are so proud to report that Brentano has scored in the top 1% of all schools in the United States for student growth in math and reading on the NWEA assessment. NWEA is a test taken by all CPS students in the fall and spring, and the award means Brentano students grew more this year, on average, than students in 99% of schools in the nation. Scores on standardized tests like ISAT often just reflect the abilities students bring into a school -- NWEA focuses on the gains each student makes, regardless of whether they enter a school especially ahead or behind. We don't think test scores are everything, but we know that tests like NWEA that measure each kid's growth say much more about a school's impact than tests like the ISAT. Brentano, as a neighborhood school, accepts students of all backgrounds. There is no test to get in and Brentano's students haven't had to win the lottery to be accepted. We couldn't be happier to have even more evidence of Brentano's success pushing all kids ahead. That's what makes Brentano such a remarkable place. As parents, that's exactly what we want in a school, and that's why we're so glad to be part of the Brentano family.

I like how teachers from Brentano teach my kids like my big son tath is in 5th grade he always get good grades and he gets everything awsome with his teacherand I realy like this school.

I am a first year teacher at Brentano Math and Science Academy this year and I could not be happier with starting my teaching career at Brentano. Everyone from the administration, to the teachers, to the educational support personnel, to the school engineer, and school custodians are absolutely some of the greatest people I have ever met with the kindest hearts. I feel tremendously supported as a first year teacher and am so happy because I have an opportunity to be a part of the INCREDIBLE things that are happening at Brentano. For instance, the school has a phenomenal soccer field and an Illinois youth soccer program is offered to our students. Just this past week, the owner from Manchester United (UK futbol club) came to our school and all of our students were able to meet and take pictures with him. There are a plethora of before and after school activities that students can participate in to ensure that their education continues beyond just the classroom. I offer math tutoring every morning before school. There is cheerleading, dance, girls and boys basketball, drama club, soccer, tutoring, science club, and many more activities for students. Truly an amazing school.

Parents, are you re looking for a great school? Then look no further, because at Brentano Math and Science Academy we will provide everything you need to meet your children s educational needs. Here at Brentano we offer students a challenging enriching curriculum with substantive value. Although, our academic emphasis veers toward math and science we also appreciate the value of the arts. This year in particular we have partnered with several programs including the Joffreyt Ballet, and Chicago Symphony Orchestra; to work with our school in educating and engaging our pupils in these innovative art forms. Please take some time and tour our enriching class rooms with purposeful centers. We look forward to seeing you! We hope that after your visit you will come to the like belief that our school is truly the best institution of learning for your child. Hopefully, it is with this revelation that you will allow us to welcome your children as new additions to our Brentano family.

I am the parent of a 1st grader and alumni of this school. I will, by all means, keep my daughter here! It is a great school with great teachers. The neighborhood is wonderful as well as all the students. More than a school, all the students and staff work more as a family/team. It is impressive how well students adapt to their classmates and teachers so quickly! I believe that this school can only get better!

Brentano is a gem in the neighborhood. In addition to a well maintained facility (both inside and outside), the school offers activities for all students. Activities range from the fine arts to sports and academic activities address students of all academic abilities. Teachers are creative and accessible. Many graduates are accepted to the Selective Enrollment schools and/or offered scholarships at private high schools. The teachers and principal are active with the community and work hard to provide a strong foundation for Brentano's students.

Brentano is by far handsdown one of the best public schools in the city. As a graduating student from this school and now currently bringing my own son it has been an amazing journey being able to see the positive transformation the school has made threw out the years. It is because of the great teachers and wonderful staff that kept me loyal to this school and community. Trust me I would never have bothered in enrolling my son in this school if it was not worth it. My son enjoys his 1st grade teacher and I am ever so thankful for the extra mile she goes to keep me involved and updated. I am very proud and excited for the years to come and more memories to build!

Last modified Brentano Elementary Math & Science Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-8