Chicago, IL

Posted June 19, 2015
Oh where do I begin?! I attended this school when Mr.Soloman was principal. The education at this school is horrible! My seventh grade teacher was a gym teacher who hardly ever taught us anything throughout the year and was more consumed with his students dating lives. My eight grade teacher would just show movies like "boys in the hood". When I got to high school I struggled since my basic foundation was horrible. I was not the only student who felt this way! I had to learn the basics on my own since this school is so neglectful of their students! I am now a working professional but I struggled in my early years because the foundation was not there thanks to Budlong School! Also, the principal Mr. Soloman had his favorites, students would get nominated to win contests such as young authors contest because he knew and liked them. Horrible school!! I have learned now looking back that a child's elementary education is very important, it is the foundation on which all other education is built. Budlong School does not do a good job helping students build this very important educational foundation!

Posted July 14, 2014
As a parent I wish to commend the exceptional principal, Mrs. Nakayama, along with her staff who have accomplished so much this school year in improving the learning environment for all the students. Due to Ms. Nakayama's leadership, Budlong will have air conditioning and a new playground installed this summer. She is very supportive of her teachers and an advocate for all children attending this school. I am choosing to keep my 1st and 4th graders in this neighborhood school and am excited to see more changes to come!

Budlong Elementary School 5

Posted May 15, 2014
I think that Budlong Elementary is an awesome School. My son has been going there since he was in Pre K , he is in the 5th grade now. The teachers are wonderful. I've had the opportunity to volunteer for a number of years, also to be a part of the PTA & LSC. The new Principal of 2 years Ms Nakayama is a wonderful person, she has done a lot of good things in the short time that she has been with us, I feel very privilege to be under her leadership. The office staff Vicki and Jenny are 2 of the nicest women I know, they are so helpful. The teachers always make the time to talk to you about your child/children, they have my child's best interest at heart. The parents are amazing, the kids are phenomenal. Our school is a multicultural school, I love the diversity of cultures, it's a beautiful thing to be a part of Budlong Elementary School, we always consider ourselves a big family!!!!!

Budlong Elementary School 5

Posted February 20, 2013
I honestly think this school is phenomenal. I am still attending it and We had had a new principal and her name is Naomi Nakayama . Shes cares and does whatever it takes for what the child is learning. The school is not in the best shape but , your child will succeed. The teachers CARE about their children. They explain multiple times just for the student can actually GET the specific problem they are recently learning.

Posted August 23, 2012
If I could rate this school with 0 stars, I would. Budlong Elementary has been a poorly run school for over a decade now. Previously attending this school, I know first hard how low the education system is in this school. I was transferred out of Jamieson in 4th grade & into Budlong. Most of the student body is of Latino descent & many don'y speak or understand English. The faculty doesn't put enough effort into helping these students do better in school. In 5th grade, I had a teacher who didn't teach anything essential or useful all year long. He made the lesson plans but never followed through. The rest of the time I spent here was unfortunate & ridiculous. The students here end up in low performing high schools & frankly, end up dropping out. There is no sense of community in this school & is in dire need of a new principal who will be a leader & eliminate the teachers who are non-essential. I advise parents to stay away from this poorly run school & place their children in Jamieson, Peterson, or any private schools around the area. This is by far one of the worst public schools in Chicago but hopefully, someday it will change. In the meantime, STAY AWAY.

Posted August 08, 2012
My granddaughters attend Budlong and I am very happy with their progress. My six year old is already reading and writing her name, thanks to Ms Bunker in her Kindergarten class. It may not be the best school but the teachers are wonderful and that makes a great school.

Posted June 13, 2012
This is quite possibly the worst school in Chicago. There is very little structure and very little nuturing going on here. As a kindergarten student our son colored every day and was sent homework for us to teach him on long weekends, because as the teacher put it, she didnt have the time to do it. Our son had a parent in the classroom everyday who knew every detail of every student from grades to personal things. She was not a teacher or even employed by the school, she was there to "help", and gossip to the other parents about the kids. This is common practice there. As for us and 7 other parents (out of 20), we could not wait for this year to end so we could get our children into a different school next year. I implore you to reconsider putting your kids in this school. My mother taught in a school for the handicap, my mother-in-law taught for over 30 years, my wife is a teacher, and I worked for years in a school and I have never witnessed a more unhealthy atmospere for young kids to grow in.

Posted April 13, 2012
it is very bad school i can't wait to take my son out of it ,the staff and teachers are too bad everything there is bad

Posted February 01, 2012
I agree with the post from Posted November 24, 2010. My son has been attending this school since the 4th grade. I can't wait for him to get out of this school! Teachers are not that great and I don't see where they are actually teaching. Principal is the worst.

Posted October 28, 2011
My daughter is a current pre-k student in Budlong. Her teacher Mrs.Azose is outstanding! She was born to be a teacher!Her assistant teacher Mrs. Mila is great too and always very helpful! My daughter is so happy there and learns a lot. She loves her 2 teachers.Thank you dear teachers for being there for our kids!

Budlong Elementary School
2701 West Foster Avenue, Chicago, IL  60625
Last modified Budlong Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Budlong Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top