Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Each year, I never know who my child can expect to have as a teacher at Budlong because the staff changes constantly and teachers move from one grade level to the next inexplicably. As a teacher myself, I know that teachers have little say over where they are moved to, so I find it hard to believe that the staff members here are requesting to jump from grade level to grade level each year. Because of these yearly changes, and again as a teacher, I know the difficulties that come with changing grade levels and positions constantly - it is very difficult to master grade level content and be the best educator you can be when you spend one year learning and planning for a particular grade, only to be shuffled around and placed elsewhere the next year, and then elsewhere the next. Teachers are flexible and professional, but the ability to teach profoundly once you have already taught the content the year before goes up exponentially if you are left in the same position on a yearly basis. The level of education our children could receive if they had teachers who consistently taught the same grade for more than a year or two is astounding. I understand that these changes happen here and there, but when it is every year and with multiple teachers, and when they are jumping multiple grade levels, I find the situation to be questionable. Research has shown that teachers who repeatedly teach a grade level will have a more positive impact on their students than teachers who change grade levels multiple times, and will also improve their own teaching practices. In fact, research shows that teachers who repeat grade-assignments improve nearly 40% more than a teacher who does not - in their own practice and in raising test scores, something that is a huge focus at this school. If Budlong can't understand this, how can we expect them to educate our children appropriately?

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I see the difference with my children. They are reading and writing better and have so much more confidence in themselves

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

At my children's other school I felt they didn't give enough homework and saw their academics decline. Here, it took some getting used to, but they get more homework and it's useful at that. The kind of homework they get reminds me of the stuff I just to have to do when I was a kid and I had a great education.

Budlong Elementary School has had me in awe since my children have started coming here. Upon transferring here I thought my children would have a difficult time adjusting and but it has been an easy transition. They were struggling in their other school and only 4 weeks into the school year, I see a huge improvement in their academics and self esteem. The staff is amazing and the administration is phenomenal. When you walk in you are always greeted with a friendly face from security and the office staff. I love how everyone works together and cares. You can feel it in how the staff communicates with you.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of trust among admin and staff. Some teachers display prejudice towards some of the student population.

Oh where do I begin?! I attended this school when Mr.Soloman was principal. The education at this school is horrible! My seventh grade teacher was a gym teacher who hardly ever taught us anything throughout the year and was more consumed with his students dating lives. My eight grade teacher would just show movies like "boys in the hood". When I got to high school I struggled since my basic foundation was horrible. I was not the only student who felt this way! I had to learn the basics on my own since this school is so neglectful of their students! I am now a working professional but I struggled in my early years because the foundation was not there thanks to Budlong School! Also, the principal Mr. Soloman had his favorites, students would get nominated to win contests such as young authors contest because he knew and liked them. Horrible school!! I have learned now looking back that a child's elementary education is very important, it is the foundation on which all other education is built. Budlong School does not do a good job helping students build this very important educational foundation!

As a parent I wish to commend the exceptional principal, Mrs. Nakayama, along with her staff who have accomplished so much this school year in improving the learning environment for all the students. Due to Ms. Nakayama's leadership, Budlong will have air conditioning and a new playground installed this summer. She is very supportive of her teachers and an advocate for all children attending this school. I am choosing to keep my 1st and 4th graders in this neighborhood school and am excited to see more changes to come!

I think that Budlong Elementary is an awesome School. My son has been going there since he was in Pre K , he is in the 5th grade now. The teachers are wonderful. I've had the opportunity to volunteer for a number of years, also to be a part of the PTA & LSC. The new Principal of 2 years Ms Nakayama is a wonderful person, she has done a lot of good things in the short time that she has been with us, I feel very privilege to be under her leadership. The office staff Vicki and Jenny are 2 of the nicest women I know, they are so helpful. The teachers always make the time to talk to you about your child/children, they have my child's best interest at heart. The parents are amazing, the kids are phenomenal. Our school is a multicultural school, I love the diversity of cultures, it's a beautiful thing to be a part of Budlong Elementary School, we always consider ourselves a big family!!!!!

I honestly think this school is phenomenal. I am still attending it and We had had a new principal and her name is Naomi Nakayama . Shes cares and does whatever it takes for what the child is learning. The school is not in the best shape but , your child will succeed. The teachers CARE about their children. They explain multiple times just for the student can actually GET the specific problem they are recently learning.

If I could rate this school with 0 stars, I would. Budlong Elementary has been a poorly run school for over a decade now. Previously attending this school, I know first hard how low the education system is in this school. I was transferred out of Jamieson in 4th grade & into Budlong. Most of the student body is of Latino descent & many don'y speak or understand English. The faculty doesn't put enough effort into helping these students do better in school. In 5th grade, I had a teacher who didn't teach anything essential or useful all year long. He made the lesson plans but never followed through. The rest of the time I spent here was unfortunate & ridiculous. The students here end up in low performing high schools & frankly, end up dropping out. There is no sense of community in this school & is in dire need of a new principal who will be a leader & eliminate the teachers who are non-essential. I advise parents to stay away from this poorly run school & place their children in Jamieson, Peterson, or any private schools around the area. This is by far one of the worst public schools in Chicago but hopefully, someday it will change. In the meantime, STAY AWAY.

Last modified Budlong Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.