Bogan High School

Public | 9-12

Posted June 5, 2013

Bogan is going wall to wall IB at the beginning of the next school year.

Posted April 10, 2013

Bogan is trying to get better.....my daughter is a senior at Bogan now and she has been on the honor roll for 3 1/2 yrs. Her freshmen year, she was jumped on, on her way home, got her book bag, ipod 3g, and cellphone taken. I did retrieve the items. But when I went to the school the Security seemed to be in place, but I don't think they worked very hard in helping me solve that issue. Junior year someone stole my daughter iPhone. There have been quite a few fights that I know about and I'm terrified for my son to go there in the fall. Bogan needs more sports teams and activities to keep many students occupied and motivated and out of trouble..academically I have seen changes since my daughter has been there as far as honors classes, college prep, and student parent meetings. So my recommendations: Tighten up security (Mr. Vaughn), increase activities, and continue to improve on academics. Oh and the new principal.....naahhh...

Posted June 13, 2012

I don't know much about other schools in Chicago, but for me Bogan should be at the top for the worse school in Chicago. The students bully other students and the admistration turns a blind eye to what is going on. I know this for a fact since my son was bullied at Bogan. Principal, Vice Principal etc.. just ignored the problem. Thank God for a few teachers that contacted us to tell us what was happening. But the teachers would write up the bullies and nothing was done. And your child can actually sit in class and do nothing and get a passing grade. It is not the teachers it is once again admistrative that puts so much pressure on the teachers to pass a student. When I said no to passing my son in one class the Principal and Vice Principal get angry with me. He didn't deserve a free pass and needed to attend summer school. They shouldn't be surprised when students have no respect for other students, because I have sat in the hall waiting for a meeting and seen how security, Principal, and Vice Principal treat the students. If you don't show respect how can a student respect a peer?

Posted December 8, 2011

This is the worst school in chicago next to gage park high. All I ever learned in this school was how to defend myself and how to just know when a fight is about to break out. "Oh its tuesday and they'll probably be just one or two fights today" A lot of the teachers in this school just don't care and to an extent I don't blame them. Students come in and do nothing but disrespect other students and teachers, and sure would report it but the administration would do nothing. I hate this school waste of my time, Im embarrassed to even tell other people that I even went here.

Posted December 7, 2011

Parents of current students should file suit against CPS for allowing an incompetent individual to run a school. The children are being deprived of an education because the administrators do not report violent episodes. Students who disrupt the educational process are allowed to roam the halls causing fights, running into classrooms and disrupting teaching and breaking into offices and rooms and stealing. They blame the teachers and demand that we pass students who do not go to class
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 28, 2011

I Think this is a horrible school i have friends and a cousin who attend this school. My friend got her phone stolen on the first day.! And my cousin had to transfer out because she was constantly teased and was always bullied

Posted June 14, 2011

What I am concerning about this school is that it is a neighborhood school that recieves low test scores and overall grade. I live next to Bogan and I have to say that the students are degrading the school which they don't care about their future and they don't learn. All they do is fight and pull the fire alarm which I heard from the news and competign against other schools to make their school better even though its not. I attend a magnet school in southwest high school which it is a very good school and safe place to go. This school needs to be improved better.

Posted December 21, 2010

graduate 04 and I hate this school. Made no friends. All the student do is pull the fire alarm and fight outside so security won't able to catch them. WORST school. I'd never send my kids to this shcool.

Posted July 12, 2010

I am a graduate of Bogan High School. The teachers and staff were wonderful. They provided the tools and guidance necessary to prepare for college and a career.

Posted April 30, 2010

Horrible school prinipal is terrible teachers are pretty good parent involvement is terrible and the safety is terrible I wouldnt recommend sending your kid to this school this school needs to be shut down

Posted November 30, 2009

I was a student at this high school I graduates in June of 09. Bogan is a great school. The principle, securities, and teachers are great. If it wasn't from them I wouldn't be where I am today. Parents and students migh think this school is bad and not a good school, but it's a great school. Go bengals!!! Bogan rocks!!!

Posted May 11, 2009

I'm a senior at Bogan High School, and I've seen the ups and downs of this school. Personally, I think the public education system is focused more on treating students like prisoners than the actual teaching part. There are discipline issues in this school, but they've improved from my freshman year. The new principal and the security has improved the school up to the point where at least it's bearable. A few of the teachers may be underqualified, mainly because I sometimes feel like I'm not getting anything out of my expierences here at BHS. However, what really gets me is that the teachers always have to have some sort of issue with one another and they also, directly or indirectly, make the students suffer. I don't know what it is, but the teachers should learn to focus on what's important rather than to deal with their own petty issues.

Posted April 2, 2009

I am a freshman at bogan, i have heard o f the bad rep that the students make and i actually wanted to give this school a chance. I feel that this school needs serious improvment in educational and discipline needs. Some of the teacher are very direspectful and say unnecessary things. The securities are also direspectful and can tend to insult some students. Some teachers do not work hard to teach us. I am in at least one honors class and an advanced placement class and i feel as though i am in pre-k and i feel my IQ dropping! My parents are not satisfied about my grades in this school and they get offended listening to the students in the hallways. The first week i liked the school, now i just wished i don't have to go to school anymore, i feel like i am wasting my time here.

Posted December 9, 2008

I am a resident of the Bogan attendance area and my daughter is a student just this year. I believe the only way the school will improve is by removing students who are wasting the teachers time and effort to teach. You have students who are really interested in becoming successful. It's time for a change in our public school system. Our children deserve a chance to prove that they are worth it.

Posted December 8, 2007

I am a resident of the Bogan attendance area and I believe the school is on the rise. There is very little trouble in terms of disipline compared to 3 years ago. The new administration with(MR McNEAL Principal has changed that schools envirionment. At this point I would give him a B

Posted November 5, 2007

Having moved from Florida, I (and my daughter) were very concerned about the extra security and police, but now she feels ok and I must say that the Principal and both VP's are very helpful and prompts with concerns. The teacher's will contact you to discuss your child's progress. I think Bogan gets a bad rap because of the students who attend and their poor behavior, not because of the staff, but there is always room for improvement.

Posted October 25, 2007

Bravo! It feels, and looks like school. Congrats to the New Principle and his Staff. I believe in the new set of rules. My son say that he can see the difference this year. My son is in his Jr. year at Bogan, and is my 3rd and last child that will have graduated from Bogan. Believe me when I say Bravo to change.

Posted May 7, 2007

I was a student at Bogan and when I attended I hated it. I didn't want to be there. We were treated as though we were criminals.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 15, 2007

Not a bad school. Teachers are cool, security are nice, principal is friendly, wonderful etc programs, wonderful extracurricular activities. This school has programs that can help us get into college. Also they have teachers that helps motivate you and encourage you when you need it, and they're teaching us so much. I'm only a freshmen and I can honestly say Bogan isn't a bad school. Discipline policy could do a little better, but the school is getting there, plus all schools aren't perfect, every schools have problems. This school isn't a bad choice for kids wanting to go to college and do well and successful.

Posted February 12, 2007

I was a student at Bogan High School. It was the worse experience I've ever had. I learned almost nothing and the students had no discipline what so ever. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone who wants to do well in college.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Students with disabilities (IEP)2%
Students without disabilities9%
English language learners5%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

74.6%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Security personnel
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3939 West 79th Street