Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted May 13, 2016
My son has been here since Kindergarten and is now in 8th grade. Our experience has been so wonderful. The administration, the teachers, the support staff...they give their all to these kids and families. Families are so involved that assemblies are standing room only, even though there are 3 separate sessions. It is a warm and loving place where my child has developed an appetite for learning and appreciating challenge. I am so grateful for our experience here.

Burley Elementary School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 05, 2016
My daughter absolutely loves to go to school and her teacher is a wonderful leader to these kindergarteners. The whole school supports all the teachers and they all work off the same page which is clearly reflected in the children and how well they are thriving in class. I am so proud to be part of this wonderful community and look forward to many happy years as a neighborhood parent of 2 children at this school.

Burley Elementary School 4

Posted December 11, 2015
My daughter is thriving in Kindergarten. After 2 years at a play based preschool I was pleasantly surprised how quickly she adapted to a more rigid school day and how excited she is to be learning to read. I am so thankful that that Burley is my neighborhood school and we are meeting such wonderful kids and families there.

Posted October 19, 2015
I've seen our child flourish. Yes the classrooms are very full (30 in our child's class)- I don't know how the teachers do it; but they do. Can't say enough positives about the principal as well. We were planning to move to the suburbs - but now we plan to stay in the city.

Burley Elementary School 1

Posted August 04, 2015
Burley is overrated with the rating scale. The school is overcrowded. The teachers have only 8-10 min to discuss everything about your child during the conferences which is not enough time due to craming of 30 kids to a classroom. The school pushes donations and fundraiser day and night but does not give the support you need when a child is in need. Just be careful not to step on anyone's toes, they have long memories. The main focus of the school is the funds they receive and high test scores due to ratings but loses the real value of teaching curriculum to the children.

Posted February 03, 2015
I cannot believe what an excellent school Burley is! My oldest (of 3) children started there this year in 8th grade, transferring from a private school that (my other two still attend) which had unresolvable issues in his grade. I was hoping for the best but not expecting much. What a dedicated staff of teachers and faculty! He is excited about learning and tells me how "cool his science experiments are" each week. His teachers have communicated with me directly and often about his progress, as I was concerned about him starting a new school in 8th grade. They show an exceptional interest in their students' education and are proficient in finding each student's unique motivation. One of his teachers even offered to stay after class as necessary to keep him on track. I can't say enough about the difference it has made for my son. And that's just half of it. The students, at an age where they tend to be socially challenging, have welcomed him openly and warmly. The families are vibrant and involved. I am so impressed with this school!

Posted September 23, 2014
We feel so lucky to have Burley as our neighborhood school. The administration and teachers have created a warm, progressive atmosphere where all students thrive--academically and social/emotionally. Parents are very involved, and the communications amongst various school organizations (fundraising, after school clubs, room parents, etc.) is very organized.

Posted May 07, 2014
My son has just started this school this year and they have been nothing but wonderful. He had gotten in trouble and I had received a phone call and the following day I had received another phone call just letting me know how he had changed his actions #POSITIVEreinforcement# Very pleased with all the emails that keep me updated on everything that is going on in the school as well as parent volunteer opportunities. I would certainly recommend this school.

Burley Elementary School 2

Posted June 08, 2013
Burley is crowded. How can a teacher meet the needs of the individual child when 30 children are packed into a classroom? I have 3 children there and I've seen the quality of the education decline as the school's numbers grow. My children are almost done, but I would not encourage any one to choose this school. The teachers are fabulous and they care but they are being put into demanding situations that do not breed success.

Posted November 18, 2012
I can't possibly say enough good things about this school. The teachers are amazing, world-class educators. The administration is open, engaged, and just plain phenomenal. However, most importantly, the COMMUNITY that is Burley is second to none. After eight years in the school, with another several to go, we feel nothing but gratitude. We are glad that we are, and will continue to be, part of the Burley Family for a very long time.

Burley Elementary School
1630 West Barry Ave, Chicago, IL  60657
Last modified Burley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.