Chicago, IL
Before care: Yes

Posted September 23, 2014
We feel so lucky to have Burley as our neighborhood school. The administration and teachers have created a warm, progressive atmosphere where all students thrive--academically and social/emotionally. Parents are very involved, and the communications amongst various school organizations (fundraising, after school clubs, room parents, etc.) is very organized.

Posted May 07, 2014
My son has just started this school this year and they have been nothing but wonderful. He had gotten in trouble and I had received a phone call and the following day I had received another phone call just letting me know how he had changed his actions #POSITIVEreinforcement# Very pleased with all the emails that keep me updated on everything that is going on in the school as well as parent volunteer opportunities. I would certainly recommend this school.

Burley Elementary School 2

Posted June 08, 2013
Burley is crowded. How can a teacher meet the needs of the individual child when 30 children are packed into a classroom? I have 3 children there and I've seen the quality of the education decline as the school's numbers grow. My children are almost done, but I would not encourage any one to choose this school. The teachers are fabulous and they care but they are being put into demanding situations that do not breed success.

Posted November 18, 2012
I can't possibly say enough good things about this school. The teachers are amazing, world-class educators. The administration is open, engaged, and just plain phenomenal. However, most importantly, the COMMUNITY that is Burley is second to none. After eight years in the school, with another several to go, we feel nothing but gratitude. We are glad that we are, and will continue to be, part of the Burley Family for a very long time.

Burley Elementary School 1

Posted September 01, 2012
After six years at Burley, we finally said enough is enough and withdrew our oldest child. Of course, Burley has many great things going for it. Like their stellar ISAT scores. Unfortunately, for about four weeks prior to the test, the students are studying so much test material that there isn't enough time to study cirriculum, consequently grades fall during this period. I would like to say more, but then I might violate the rating policy and not get this message posted. I'm not saying that you shouldn't send your child to Burley. Just be careful not to step on anyone's toes. They have long memories.

Posted March 26, 2012
This school is fantastic, I have had lots of experience there. Its a joy for everybody there and everybody is so kind.

Posted May 09, 2011
Our kids love Burley, and we do too. Top notch teachers, great administrators, and lots of smart, caring parents that really participate and help the school not only meet but exceed goals. The camaraderie of the kids, across of all ages is unusual and special.

Burley Elementary School 0

Posted April 23, 2010
The curriculum and staff are top notch. Burley teaches kids to think for themselves, to formulate questions rather than memorize answers. They believe in inquiry, inclusion and community.

Burley Elementary School 0

Posted April 20, 2010
This is a school where children LOVE to go and are proud to be at! The teachers, administration, and parents are involved and encouraging to the students. Most important, there is a family atmosphere where children feel secure and cared about. Burley is a warm, innovative school that inspires a child to achieve their personal best.

Posted January 21, 2010

Burley Elementary School
1630 West Barry Avenue, Chicago, IL  60657
Last modified Burley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Burley Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top