Amandla Elementary Charter School 2

Posted November 19, 2012
My children do not attend this school, but they attend the school that Amandla rents space from. This school has only been in existence for 4 years, is a charter and hires inexperienced staff at a lower wage. Older kids will take advantage if they can, especially around peers. These staff allow that. I don't think they have any ideal of classroom discipline or how to deal with older kids. My kids school is circulating a petition to not allow Amandla to renew their lease in our building. They throw stuff out windows and a parent was taken by ambulance because one child threw a backpack full of books out a 4th floor window. I don't necessarily blame the kids (though they are older kids and should know better), but there is no structure and discipline from these 'teachers'.

Amandla Elementary Charter School 1

Posted June 06, 2012
This school needs to be re-organized by the Charter School Board. My child was not given permission to attend a field trip, but the "Principle" allowed her to go. And, by the way the Principle attended the trip along with her "wife". I have no problem with your life choices but don't embark them on our children. Whereas the curriculum is great, children make mistakes, they are not perfect. by the way nor are the Principle/Teachers. This school do not have a "PTA" group; and I believe it s because they do not want the parents to get together on all of the issues at this school. The Board of Directors at this school, I do not believe exist, just try to get in touch with one of them you will see. There is no gym, music, or art classes, these classes might provide an outlet for the children. I simply "hate" this school, and will say that this school is an accident waiting to happen. One of my children is an A student and the other a B/C student, so this is not the problem. You have a school being run by individuals that has no clue on life issues. They left my son that was being bullied to have peer mediation with the student that was bullying him by themselves. Is that wisdom or what?

Amandla Elementary Charter School 1

Posted June 06, 2012
I am so glad this school year is over so I can take my children out of this poorly run school. The students should keep the rules but the Board of Directors, Principle, Assistant Principle; Dean(s) do not know how to run a school. Ask them how do they select children to go on field trips? How long do punishments last? Who is over the PTA? How often does their Board meet? And who exactly is running the school, the principle or the board of directors (no accident or lowercase they do not deserve upper case) and if these individuals are different. Do they have a gym room? Do they offer gym? These are just a few questions. I do not like this school, and do not think this school is in the best interest of students overall. They do not know how to handle real issues that is why a student tried to jump out of the window and kill herself this school year. My son has been totally depressed almost this entire school year; Thank

Amandla Elementary Charter School 5

Posted January 19, 2012
This school has an excellent curriculum. The advisory staff truely prepares your child for college. The accelerated reading, math, and science program is extraordinary. However, the disciplinary structure is very strict. Nevertheless, children need discipline to complete college therefore, I fully support their efforts. Keep up the great work Amandla Family !

Amandla Elementary Charter School 0

Posted March 02, 2010
I don't feel they are respecting the parents point of view. They judge the students according to temperment for the day. The rules they have for the students are to subjective instead of objective. The students are not being taught how to change their behavior, just punished.

Amandla Elementary Charter School
6800 South Stewart Avenue, Chicago, IL  60621
Last modified Amandla Elementary Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Amandla Elementary Charter School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 5 reviews. Top