Bad
Good

I have to say that my son has been in this school, by no means by choice since Kindergarten and he is now a 4th grader and my daughter since kindergarten and she is now 1st grader and it has been nothing but hell. The staff in the front office is rude, and does not know how to properly communicate with parents. The school has been below state test scores since before my kids went here and yes they have changed teachers but I think the real problem is that they worry more about what the students are wearing then actually worrying about getting their grades up. I cannot wait to move to Florida at the end of the year because honestly it is getting to be too much. The teachers do not get help from the school and the school puts students in ESL when they do not even need to be put in those programs and I believe the state needs to get involved because obviously complaining to the school district has done nothing.

I recently took custody of my nephews who were attending this school for grades 1-2. When I got the kids, they could neither read or count past 13 at the end of 2nd grade. When the school we transferred to asked for ALL the records, the school refused to send any until I contacted the superintendent. Even then, we received only report cards and attendance records as well as a release from Special Ed with no assessments being done and no record of meeting with their parent. IEP process was not followed up on. Very sloppy record keeping. Lack of attention to students and families. I have heard horrible stories from the children about the lack of structure, insults from teachers toward them and their family. Note the school has been on AYP probation for 10 years.

I took my kids out of the Catholic school by Burnham to put them in here and I am happy I did, they were not being challenged at all at the private school and I was paying too much for an inferior education. I have become a homeroom mom and have helped in many events at the school so it has been a wonderful experience, it is a shame more parents don't take the time to volunteer and really see what it takes to educate our children. I have seen how Ms. Anderson handles herself with the teachers and I have never seen her act inappropriately. Now I am in the Burnham Parent patrol and I am glad to help!

I worked at this school two years ago and it was horrible. It is poorly run and there is a lack of organization and discipline. The teachers get no respect and no help with anything. Ms. Anderson is rude, unorganized and out of touch with current trends in schools. She has no idea how to run a special education program or how to deal with these students. She continually does whatever parents want and has no respect for what's best for the students or teachers. She is just riding out her years until retirement and does not encourage the students in anything except for when it comes time to take the ISAT test. Don't send your kids here, I also worked at Drexel and it is a much better school, the principal actually knows what she is doing and is consistent.

I am getting my kids out of this school for next year. They are not challenged and are not encouraged when they do things correctly. In addition, one of my kids tells me his teacher yells at him. I grew up in bad schools and gave this one a chance; but when I see what's at stake, I seriously have to rethink the lack of concern for development here.

Last modified Daniel Burnham Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.