No rating

Coal City Elementary School

Public | 2-3

Posted January 22, 2013

My children attended this school and we had a positive experience. The teachers in both grades were very good. Some of the teachers started incorporating the Daily 5 reading strategies into their reading block and I seen positive results in my children. The administration and front office can be a little more friendly and have better communication. The principal is very good with the children, not so good with the parents. Needs better communication and verbal skills. Overall decent school with excellent teachers.

Posted September 12, 2012

My son went to coal city schools for 3 years before we moved out of the area for monetary reasons. At first I was sad because I really thought I was leaving such a great school and the last year my son went to CC schools he had a wonderful teacher which made it difficult for us to say goodbye. Now that we have transitioned to another school I realize that there was a lot of pressure put on the children and parents and not enough on the teachers and principal for the best academic achievement each child can make. My son was VERY stressed out during his time in this school and now he is getting even better grades and doesnt fight me to do his homework like he did when he went to coal city. I think the principals in the early childhood as well as the elementary were not very friendly or supportive to the kids and parents. There has been a lot of money given to this school district and they are by no means in need of anything but I think their focus isn't on the children as much as the focus is on its reputation. I think the school district has a lot of potential but has lost its direction and needs to focus more on the needs of children.

Posted September 18, 2008

I moved away from CCES three years ago and it was a huge mistake. I miss the small town attitude the school has. Your child is not just a number in Coal City and they take the time when it is needed. I am currently trying to talk my husband into selling our house and moving back just for the schools. Hope to see them soon.

Posted May 8, 2006

So far I think CCES is a wonderful school. My daughter had a very rough time adjusting to a full day of 1st grade. Her own teacher, the gym teachers, and even the gals in the office, were all very supportive and helpful in trying to do things that would help her adjust and feel more comfortable. Two of them personally called me at home to offer advice and suggestiongs, and I was very touched that they had truly taken a personal interest in my child's welfare. It was so nice to know they cared and my child wasn't just 'another student.' They really have your child's best interests at heart and I just can't thank them enough! Karen Neumann

Posted April 3, 2005

I do not think this school is acceptable for my children. I recently enrolled them into homeschool after many unexceptable experiences. I couldnt be happier with my decision, the kids are doing great.

Posted February 24, 2005

I do not agree with the last posting. I have found the administration and staff to be very compassionate towards children. Coal City truly does put 'kids first'.

Posted January 19, 2005

This isnt going to be a good one. I dont think the principal or some of the workers there are doing their job very well. they seem to be out for themselves and not to caring for the children. They sure dont know anything about getting help if a child gets hurt there. you would think they should call a parent asap, but they did not. You can guess what else I might want to say but I will be polite.

Posted November 17, 2004

My daughter has gone to school at CCES for the last three years. I found that the teachers were very caring and involved with the children. They have an open door policy on communication between parrents and teachers. They also provide a possitive atmosphere for the childrn to learn in. I would encurage any parent to send thier children to this school. Their dedication to their students is remarkable. Mrs. Smith is a dedicated and responsibe princible. In this learning facility the students come first!

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

2013

2011

2010

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Students with disabilities (IEP)47%
Students without disabilities86%
English language learnersn/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

• Mr. Travis Johnson

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

300 North Broadway Street