Bad
Good

2 kids in this school, teachers are hit or miss. My oldest child this year is finishing the 4th grade and I feel as if the year was wasted. I just went to his school because they had an "open house" and I inspected his desk and his books. It is almost the end of the school year and he has barely gone through less than half of his 4th grade math book. Clearly that math book was not worn. All this year I have been asking "what did you learn today" and he would not tell me. I have no idea what he has been doing in school all day. I have resorted to teaching him math myself and I bought an online math course as well. But hey, they have edmodo and ipads. I am this close to withdrawing him from school and start home schooling. My other child at this school does not have any issues, not yet anyhow.

I have had children attend North Elementary continually since 2009. There have been exceptional teachers and a couple that did not cut it. I believe Mrs. Hornberg, the Principal, has a good grasp of what is going on in the classrooms, which leads me to believe she has good communication with the teachers. I have been involved in various aspects of parent volunteering (and there are many opportunities to get involved), and have never seen anything I didn't like. My children do not have behavioral issues or learning difficulties, so I can't say how those situations are handled other than some experiences we had with "bullying". Although, I tend to disagree with some of the discipline practices, my concerns were addressed and eventually rectified. I believe, as a whole, North is an excellent school for learning and nurturing. They offer many extra curricular events and programs. The staff really gets to know all of the children and at least recognize the parents. Mrs. Hornberg has always promptly addressed any questions or concerns I have brought to her attention.

This school is well below average and should not rate a 6, it would be a 4 at best. They have one of the worst music programs that my children have been involved with. The teachers terach to the lowest level to achieve their test standards. This school has a large problem with bulling not just at school but also cyber and their response has been and continues to be "it's a neighborhood issue". If you are planning on moving to the Crystal Lake area stay clear you will be heavily disappointed.

North is a fabulous school with an engaged and energetic staff. We are part of the dual language program and we are so blessed to live where we can attend North. LOVE this school.

North is the best school in the area! The principal and staff are awesome! After having very negative experiences with Coventry, North was a welcome change for us. The teachers are all really caring and helpful and energetic. They provided my son with extra help in writing, math and reading. Although my son did really well in a small group setting, I liked that they seemed to also integrate him in the main classroom as much as possible, so he felt like he was a part of his class and wasn't missing out on things, which was one of my worries about him participating in a LD program. He is now in middle school where he is really outgoing and excels in a small group setting and as he is gaining confidence, is doing better in the large classroom too. Crystal Lake seems to be a nice place to live. I generally don't see kids (or parents) with the annoying 'over privileged' attitudes. My three kids have never had problems with bullying or harassment from anyone in any of the Crystal Lake schools or busses they've been in. The Crystal Lake school system and community seems to take these issues seriously and really provides a positive learning environment for the kids!

This school is amazing. The teachers are very caring and always easy to get a hold of. My child has improved a lot over the last 2 years being here and would hate to leave if we had to.

The reading teachers here are wonderful. I love the fact that it is a small enough school so that teachers and administrators make the kids feel welcome and secure.

We have had a wonderful experience at North. The Teachers have been amazing and very caring and supportive of our daughter's particular needs. They seem to be in-tune with what is going on in the individual kids lives and become very avaialble for them both academically and emotionally. Thank you to a great school and great teachers!

If you have a child with learning differences, I would do some serious searching and consider other options. Their are resourceful programs out their, and North Elementary doesn't seem to tap into those. Children that have learning differences need the support and access to different ways of learning. How long would you let your child go without reading? Will they be just another one that slips through the cracks? Do you think that perhaps it may have something to do with the teacher or the program that they are using? Just something to consider. They do not have the sophistication that they like to think that they have.

Last modified North Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.