Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Supports LD students: Agree

I've volunteered in the classroom a number of times and children are always receiving additional guidance. My daughter has been pulled out of class to do some advance work in the past two year. When we first arrived, we came from an expat stint in another country. The school was very helpful in focusing on anything that she might need in terms of extra help.

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

I don't know anything about their bullying policy. But if it goes on, I don't hear about it.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

So far, homework has been consistent, but never overwhelming. It gives me a chance to understand what she is learning and an opportunity to get involved in her education.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

So far, leadership seems to be effective. The children respect the principal and the staff. I would like to see more effective fundraisers at the school, I feel that they take the easy route by hiring companies to fund raise for the school, when it should be the parenting getting involved and putting together a plan.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The first time I volunteered in the classroom, an announcement went out over the loudspeaker that included a message about being kind. I was very impressed.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers have been fantastic. My daughter has loved and respected each one. They teach kindness, responsibility and the importance of learning in a way that is very effective - at least for my daughter.

My daughter has been attending South Elementary since January of 2015. She adores it. Her teachers have been fantastic and caring. She has made wonderful friends. I was very impressed that the philosophy communicated to the children was around kindness. The facilities are excellent and it is small enough that she never feels overwhelmed. I'm glad we made the decision to keep her here instead of moving to the city.

We couldnt have chosen a better school! The principle, teachers, extended programs and counselors are truly helpful and more than accomodating. Full time Kindergarten was an awesome choice and much less expensive than the park districts or private preschools. The quality of education is not found too often, and the teachers willingness to help our children during a few tough months, exceeded our expectations. Thanks South!

hola buenas tardes,,mi nombre es nora hernandez madre de edgar mateos me gustaria saber como puedo tener informacion acerca de el ultimo grado de escuela que mi hijo estudio ya que ahora se encuentra el en mexico y eso es lo que piden en la escuela un comprobante de el ultimo grado que estudio en north elmentary school..espero puedan responder pronto por su atencion muchas gracias....

The school has a great anti bullying policy. Its too bad the principal is the biggest bully I've ever met. She has a cookie cutter mold she believes all children should be and if they're not she makes their lives hard. Also, if you don't fork over the $$$ for full time kindergarten your child will be behind and the teachers don't believe its their job to catch them up. They will also blame this on the parents. Its also really hit or miss with teacher quality. And if you find that your teacher isn't a good match for your child the principal will have the teachers back and quickly blame your child instead or you. Over all I'm less happy with this elementary school and it's politics then I hopped I would have been.

Last modified South Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.