Des Plaines, IL

Devonshire School 4

Posted August 04, 2014
We recently transferred to Devonshire from a private school in Chicago. We are very happy with the improvements our child has made. Her reading excelled withing the first 3 months of being there. Teachers are great. Alot of diversity within the students, which is great. We have a few years left here and know our daughter is getting a great education.

Devonshire School 0

Posted April 28, 2010
The staff at Devonshire is the best. They fill the needs of children at all levels. The atmosphere of the school is a very positive one.

Posted January 12, 2009
This school is the best because there are people that are very nice and the teachers there are great. But there are more than these things. When my cousin was in 5th grade she said she didn't want to go to another school, she wanted to stay at Devonshire school. And when she was at Friendship she said I want to go back to Devonshire. All her friends luaghed at her but she accepted it for Devonshire school.

Posted November 16, 2007

Posted April 04, 2007

Posted July 12, 2006
Emphasizing that my impressions and knowledge are based upon my children's attendance in Kindergarten and 1st grade only, I'd like to express my tremendous regard for the academic program, observance of safety, discipline and character building, accessibility and use of computers, overall diversity of subjects covered, and the facilitation of a pleasant school environment for the Devonshire students. My own children vary greatly in terms of learning style, level of incoming knowledge and personality, in much the way children of different homes will vary, but we had the opportunity to experience individually the same curriculum and teacher for their Kindergarten years and were immensely impressed to see how Mrs. Leone, veteran Kindergarten teacher, is able to create stability as well a varied approach for her students. Teachers are of the highest quality at Devonshire and the environment is one that stresses both hard work and the, very precious, joy of learning!

Posted April 02, 2006

Posted September 28, 2004
I love devonshire! i think all the teachers are top-notch, and i have no problem with the curriculum. In fact, i think the administrators and the teachers put a lot of thought and work into the curriculum. I also know they spend a good amount of time determining which kids will be a good fit with which teacher. I don't think folks realize how good the school is until they try something else!

Devonshire School 3

Posted April 29, 2004
I am disappointed with the curriculum after 2nd grade. No spelling, no handwriting, very little science and very little social studies.

Devonshire School 2

Posted April 29, 2004
We have been very disappointed with Devonshire. The spelling curriculum has been horrible. Children in 5th grade are spelling common words wrong and the teachers find this acceptable. We don't feel that our child has been challenged at this school. They are really worried about the 6 pillars of character, but when it comes to academic basics they lack. We are opting to send our child to private school next year because we feel the Devonshire curriculum is lacking. It's so sad that we have to resort to that, but our child deserves the best education. Take a look at how much the test percentage rates fall from 3rd to 5th grade. I think that the 3rd grade teachers are doing their job, but when the child gets into 4th and 5th grade they aren't enforcing what the children have learned up until then. Test scores tell all.

Devonshire School
1401 Pennsylvania Avenue, Des Plaines, IL  60018
Last modified Devonshire School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Devonshire School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top