Des Plaines, IL

Devonshire School 3

Posted June 11, 2015
As a parent who has two children in that school, this school is just avarage, nothing special about it. You can forget about music and arts. The music teacher doesn't even play the piano during a yearly Christmas show. She's using records. The principal of that school IS BIAS every single time you question a teacher or a procedure. He acts like he's teachers' friend, not a role model to them. It's good that he's a friend, but we don't pay him for being a friend but by doing his job. He wants to act to parents the same way. But I'm not looking for a friend but a role model. If he wants to play, he can play after work. Before he will look into your complain, he will speculate what happened, standing 100% behind his teachers even if they abuse their power. Also, some students will get to the clubs while other students won't get in even if you turn your paper on time. My son loves science, and he couldn't even get in after turning his permission slip. Clubs in that school are very limited. And of the few clubs they have most students aren't even interested in. Why not open more science clubs? It's not uncommon for this school to reward a bully who holds a patrol job while taking a patrol job away from a bullied kid. A gym teacher will only grade one skill each trimester even though they will go over multiple skills. So, for example: if you have a son in first grade and he's introduced to jump roping, he will get a grade 1 as a final grade if he won't master this task after it has been ONLY introduced for a few weeks. It won't matter he even excelled at different skills that trimester. The gym teacher doesn't take an average but grades only ONE skill a student has difficulty with. (I hope you have girls since they much more likely love jumping rope.) Parents won't be informed why a grade dropped from 4 one trimester to grade 1 next at the end of the year. I was never informed by my son's gym teacher that even my son had any difficulty with jump roping. If you ask, you won't get your answers and you will even get ignored. What's wrong with this school is that teachers as well as the principal don't involve parents unless they need help selling something. They are not there to resolve things.

Devonshire School 4

Posted August 04, 2014
We recently transferred to Devonshire from a private school in Chicago. We are very happy with the improvements our child has made. Her reading excelled withing the first 3 months of being there. Teachers are great. Alot of diversity within the students, which is great. We have a few years left here and know our daughter is getting a great education.

Devonshire School

Posted April 28, 2010
The staff at Devonshire is the best. They fill the needs of children at all levels. The atmosphere of the school is a very positive one.

Posted January 12, 2009
This school is the best because there are people that are very nice and the teachers there are great. But there are more than these things. When my cousin was in 5th grade she said she didn't want to go to another school, she wanted to stay at Devonshire school. And when she was at Friendship she said I want to go back to Devonshire. All her friends luaghed at her but she accepted it for Devonshire school.

Posted July 12, 2006
Emphasizing that my impressions and knowledge are based upon my children's attendance in Kindergarten and 1st grade only, I'd like to express my tremendous regard for the academic program, observance of safety, discipline and character building, accessibility and use of computers, overall diversity of subjects covered, and the facilitation of a pleasant school environment for the Devonshire students. My own children vary greatly in terms of learning style, level of incoming knowledge and personality, in much the way children of different homes will vary, but we had the opportunity to experience individually the same curriculum and teacher for their Kindergarten years and were immensely impressed to see how Mrs. Leone, veteran Kindergarten teacher, is able to create stability as well a varied approach for her students. Teachers are of the highest quality at Devonshire and the environment is one that stresses both hard work and the, very precious, joy of learning!

Posted September 28, 2004
I love devonshire! i think all the teachers are top-notch, and i have no problem with the curriculum. In fact, i think the administrators and the teachers put a lot of thought and work into the curriculum. I also know they spend a good amount of time determining which kids will be a good fit with which teacher. I don't think folks realize how good the school is until they try something else!

Devonshire School 3

Posted April 29, 2004
I am disappointed with the curriculum after 2nd grade. No spelling, no handwriting, very little science and very little social studies.

Devonshire School 2

Posted April 29, 2004
We have been very disappointed with Devonshire. The spelling curriculum has been horrible. Children in 5th grade are spelling common words wrong and the teachers find this acceptable. We don't feel that our child has been challenged at this school. They are really worried about the 6 pillars of character, but when it comes to academic basics they lack. We are opting to send our child to private school next year because we feel the Devonshire curriculum is lacking. It's so sad that we have to resort to that, but our child deserves the best education. Take a look at how much the test percentage rates fall from 3rd to 5th grade. I think that the 3rd grade teachers are doing their job, but when the child gets into 4th and 5th grade they aren't enforcing what the children have learned up until then. Test scores tell all.

Devonshire School
1401 Pennsylvania Avenue, Des Plaines, IL  60018
Last modified Devonshire School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Devonshire School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top