Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)

I have nothing but great things to say about El Sierra. I have three children who went through El Sierra, Downers Grove South and onto college and have done very well in their lives and careers. Before they started El Sierra, I was concerned about the open classroom set up. After them being there and even now, I can see how that has helped them in their studies and their work. They are not easily distracted when working. They can stay focused with numerous things happening around them. Overall I would say I'm very happy with the education they received from El Sierra.

El Sierra is a wonderfully warm and welcoming neighborhood school. The small class sizes allow teachers to work one on one with where each individual student is at in their academics. I can't say enough great things about kinder teacher Mrs Brouwer. She has made our first year here smooth, seamless and more importantly so much fun for my son. He is advancing in math and reading and she knows how to connect in a kind, energetic way. Mr Lynde has the highest standards for the school, students and teachers - and really cares about the well being of El Sierra and taking the academics there to the next level of success. I love El Sierra!

This is only my kids second year at this school but we couldn't be happier with the school and the faculty members. The small classes give much more opportunity for individual instruction. We didn't have an opinion of open concept schools prior to coming here but I don't think my kids could go back to a school in which walls separate every classroom.

This neighborhood school is incredibly welcoming. Our children have been taught in the open concept school with small class sizes and by caring teachers. The principal, Mr. Lynde, is top notch! He encourages his staff and student body to always "Be Nice & Do Your Best" The children are receiving a well rounded education- field trips 1:1 IPad program, art appreciation, wonderful library and many other resources- that make me love where we choose to send our kids!

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Both of my girls have not encountered any situations in their time at El Sierra for me to comment on this topic. I will say that says a lot on its own!

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Can not say enough good things about the current principal- Jason Lynde!

Principal is excellent and attached to the kids, parents, and communities.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Our current principal is a rock star. He relates to the kids well, is very responsive with the parents, and seems to sincerely care about the students and teachers. I believe he has created a positive environment that permeates the entire school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Each year I ask my kids to rank their teachers in order of how much they enjoyed being in their class and each year they give up trying to put them in any order. They have truly enjoyed each of their teachers - often for different reasons - but enjoyed going to school and getting to know each one.

Amount of homework: Agree

My kids have homework but it doesn't take over their lives. It seems to be a nice balance of teaching good study habits and recognizing that kids need to be kids. There's plenty of time for homework in the junior high and high school curriculums.

Last modified El Sierra Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.