Posted April 29, 2014
All three of my Downers Grove grandchildren attend or have attended Whittier. It is a very welcoming school and the teachers are great.

Whittier Elementary School 3

Posted June 10, 2013
Whittier. I laughed at the review below re: elitist, cliquish parents. It's 100% true! I've been a parent here for 3 years, and the attitude with the other moms in particular is disgusting. YES, a very strong word to use,but accurate. If you are new to the school, they are FAR from welcoming, esp if you live in an apartment. I realized this after I told a few moms that we were looking for a house. Suddenly, a few mothers who were rather rude to me became almost FRIENDLY and actually talked to me. .. about househunting even though I never broached the subject to them. Because some of the other moms don't like ME, they actually go out of their way to exclude my daughter in parties/ playdates (One mom invited all the girls in the class to an "end of school" party, which I found out about that evening after hearing about the event from a few of the girls who are my daughter's friends. The mother hosting the event had been nice at first to me, then was absorbed into a clique; suddenly really witchy to me! !). I volunteer, am overly nice to these people and they are rude and dismissive. I've suggested to use PTA money to improve the school, but they just want technology.

Posted October 26, 2012
I am a parent of Whittier students and an active member of the community. The academics I feel are a strong point for this school. The school doesn t tolerate bullying. Our experience with bullying was that it simply wasn t allowed. There has been a big push nationally on this topic and it is being taught through anti-bullying assemblies and the Social Emotional Learning Program started last year by the district. The school s 2012 motto is 'Dream It, See It, Do It' and it drives the kids. We have always felt welcomed by the PTA and the parents, who are very involved and I feel it makes Whittier a great school.

Whittier Elementary School 2

Posted November 04, 2011
I am a parent here, the school is really lacking in some regards and the community fails to see that. The facility is truly rundown and old, the Jaguar Gym is a dreary place. There is no bus service here and the neighborhood likes to act like this a good thing. They keep the students outside waiting until the bell rings even when it is very cold outside. The school has a new principle and lets just say first day of school was a disaster. New parents to kindergartners missed the official tour because there was no communication. The teachers are great but there seriously some issues with staff. I have been constantly treated rudely by the front office. I was accused of being trying to sneak my child in after the bell rang, but I was there to sign paperwork. My child was already in class. They are lots of things that would make Whittier a better school. The community is elitist and cliquish and the school has the same attitude. They are not a welcoming group and treat outsiders poorly. By believing that there is nothing wrong and everything is "perfect" they are missing opportunities to improve.

Whittier Elementary School 0

Posted December 02, 2009
I believe that bullying is a serious issue that is not being addressed at Whittier School

Posted March 25, 2009
By far one of the most focused on the students schools we have encountered.

Whittier Elementary School 4

Posted January 03, 2009

Posted July 29, 2008
Smallest school in the district, which allows for everyone to be on a first-name basis with one another. Filled with caring and attentive teachers and staff. Kids are happy--parents are involved!

Whittier Elementary School 4

Posted July 11, 2008
Great parental support. This school has an extremely active PTA that is aggressively raising money for new technology in the school. They try to fill the needs of the school that the district won't. Lots of younger teachers with tons of enthusiasm and a clear love of their profession.

Whittier Elementary School
536 Hill Street, Downers Grove, IL  60515
Last modified Whittier Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whittier Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top