Bad
Good

Great school definitely one of the best high schools in the area of Downers Grove!

dgs This place is terrible. My little sister would come home everyday feeling dejected and complain on how horrible and mean the teachers were. She would be singled out and punished numerous times for minor issues that would typically be overlooked. She's a good kid; she's extremely polite to a fault. She has never had a problem with any teacher throughout her academic career. For her to never want to come back here speaks volumes of the teaching practices and attitudes of these teachers. The added stress was obviously not a conducive environment to learn. She's since changed schools and has never been happier. It's not school that's minority friendly. Changes definitely need to made here for the sake of future students or it risks negative press.

My husband and I love this school. We came from CPS system and would not ever have received as much communication and involvement regarding my child. He has had a rough start, but we are confident he'll catch up and become acclimated to his new surroundings. We appreciate all the attention that's given to our son's education. We are proud to let others know our child attends DGS!

My 2nd child is in his 3rd year at DGS. Both kids were honor students and actively involved but I have been underwhelmed by the quality of teaching at this school since the beginning. The math and science teachers are particularly weak. Each child never had more than 1 teacher year that they actually enjoyed. A school of this size with this budget should be bursting with quality teachers but such is not the case. I've discussed this with my kids' friends and they agree with me: the teachers are nothing but mediocre.

This school is as big or as small as you make it! I graduated in 2008 with a lot of confidence entering my 4-year universities engineering program. My confidence was gained from experiences both in class and in the sports teams I played for (Football: 4 years, Basketball: 3 years) As everyone else here has said, the extracurriculars are what make DGS great. That brings me back my point of the school being as big as you make it. GET INVOLVED!! I came to South from a catholic grade school in the area and knew less than 20 people my first day, but by the end of my 4 years I felt like I knew the names, faces or both of about 3/4 of the school. Some of my closest friends are from the sports teams I was on or who were in the same classes as me. NERD ALERT!! The other thing I LOVED about this school was how many college level classes were offered to be taken for credit!! I was able to take Calculus 2 (Calc BC in DGS terms) for college credit and an Anatomy/Physiology college level class (not for college credit... sore subject). To sum up, if I had the chance to do it all over again, the only thing I would change would be the size of the lockers, they are way too small for a coat.

My kids went here. It was the best for them. They did well, and did not have some of the problems others we have met had from other surrounding schools. And, the education and the learning experiences have benefitted my children very much. Thank you.

Our second daughter recently graduated from South. Both daughters had a wonderful experience. A key to their enjoying South was getting involved. There is a wide variety of clubs and sports everyone should be able to find something. Our first daughter had the former principal who is currently the superintenant - our experience with him and his secretary was disappointing. The secetary was never in the office when I called or she had a room full of students that were very disrepectful to phone calls. Our 2nd daughter has had a wonderful experience with the new principal - he is wonderful. His only downfall is he has the same secretary. Both daughters were in the top 25% of class, with several scholarship offers. We found that many colleges knew of DGS, making early admission very easy. The PTA is very active, but is different than the grade school involvement.

i came to this schol from bolingbrook and i have to honestly say i hate it.. people are stuck up and teachers are rude.. i love the track team though

I graduated from South in 2008, and after attending a top university for a year, all I can say is that I am amazed at how well-prepared I was for college-level work. Oftentimes, I was better able to deal with stress and insane workloads than many of my peers who attended prestigious private schools. South offers many opportunities for kids who want to succeed - from challenging AP classes to meaningful extracurriculars. Of course, there will always be certain teachers and certain classes that you may not like, but that is incomparable to the overall positive experience of being a student at South.

I'm a junior at south and it has been great. The marching band actually competes (unlike North), the speech team is great, and there is a variety of classes.

Last modified Community H S Dist 99 - South High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.