No rating

St Mary Of Gostyn Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 52 students

Living in Downers Grove

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $260,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

Posted September 13, 2008

After reading a comment about a rule that children's work cannot be displayed, I felt I needed to reply. I have never heard of such a rule and work is displayed often throughout the building. As a teacher, I love to see what the students are doing in their other classes.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 11, 2008

My child has attended St Mary's for the last two years and my family is extremely happy! The new preschool teacher is a breath of fresh air with a fantastic curriculum! My children feel welcome and are learning so much. My daughter was reading by the time she left preschool. The kindergarten teacher adopted a new reading program this year to challenge the incoming children. The teachers are all available by email, phone and preschool has an open door policy. Communication between teachers and parents has been great. Yes, we pay tuition, but it is our choice. And yes, some of the class sizes are larger than the public school. But again, this is our choice to have our children attend this school. The school is family oriented and everyone ssupports everyone especially in times of need. I wouldn't have my children anywhere else.

Posted April 3, 2008

Large classrooms. They are very crowded especially during lunch where they have to eat at their desks through middle school. Recently there have been many families leaving the preschool and school. I am sticking it out hoping that this will lead to smaller class sizes. If it wasn't so crowded, I don't think the other things would bother me as much.

Posted March 21, 2008

We have 3 children in the school, each started at Kindergarten, and have been extremely happy with the administration and overall organization of the school. The transition of not having attended the preschool was no problem. The average class size of my kid's grades, 4th grade and lower, is about 27 per class. There are 2 classes per grade. I feel the principal does a great job of communicating with the school parents and recently the H.S.A. has added a forum to their meetings to address school wide parent concerns to the administration. We toured both Catholic schools and our public school and from the first impression have been happy with our choice

Posted February 24, 2008

Sometime this school is not about the kids, but about rules that do not make sense! No work from the children is allowed to be hung up. It has been quite a dissapointment.

Posted February 21, 2008

The St. Mary s of Gostyn Experience Our son attended 8 years. When he came to St. Mary s in 1st grade he was a fun loving but somewhat shy little boy who sometimes struggled with his schoolwork. With each passing grade he was shown love, made to feel special, was recognized for his strengths and skillfully guided in the areas needed with attention that made it seem at times as if he were the only kid in the school. By eight grade as he prepared for high school he was ready for a few honors classes, had all the self confidence a boy his age needed and moved on with a rock solid foundation spiritually, academically and socially all in the proper order. And it s not just our son, it was all the children. The St. Mary s experience teaches love, self respect, respect for authority, respect for each other and a love of God. The St. Mary s experience is one where the peer pressure is to achieve and succeed . . . a truly amazing accomplishment in today s society! I suppose they all learn some of this at home, but make no mistake, they learn an awful lot of it here. The St. Mary s experience is not an accident and it is not luck. It is the result of a tremendous amount of hard work by some of the most dedicated people we have had the pleasure to know. If you live in this area there is no other choice. If you do not live in the area you should think about moving!

Posted September 25, 2007

My daughter did not attend the preschool either but she had a great kindergarten experience. I noticed that there were some kids that were always together but these relationships are largely fostered by parents and I would rather my child not take issue with this and find her own way, which she did just fine. Lunches are in the classroom but everyday the children go out for recess right after lunch. Opportunities are there to communicate with the teachers via email or special meetings. Curriculums are available for each grade level to help your child prepare and/or advance. Bottom line, keep and open mind and realize the grass will always be greener on the other side. The education received from St. Mary's will be a wonderful mix of religious education (which is invaluable in today's society) and an excellent academic education.

Posted September 17, 2007

My daughter had a very hard time fitting in. This school has a preschool and if you don't attend their preschool we felt it was difficult to become part of the group. The acedemics are average and the children have to eat lunch in their rooms. Not alot of opportunity to move around.

Posted September 17, 2007

I was not happy with the large classrooms, but did think the teachers were doing the best they could. The Spanish was not it was talked up to be, but at least it was something.

Posted May 18, 2007

My children are excelling in their academic and religious instruction and have made wonderful friends. Parents have numerous opportunities to share their talents. The teaching staff continues to improve with the recent addition of several excellent experienced teachers. Many extra-curricular activities including athletics, academic clubs, environmental and students for life groups, and alter servers reinforce Christian morals and give children of all interests fun opportunities outside the classroom. A large scouting program, band and choir round out the offerings. Another unique feature offered is the Children's Education Garden, a place to play and learn for the entire parish, especially children. Throughout the school year, the children provide donations and service to those in need in their local, national and international community, preparing them for their role as Catholic Christians when the leave for high school and beyond. We are very pleased to partner with St. Mary's in educating our children.

Posted February 21, 2007

I am very impressed with the teachers at St. Mary's. The class sizes are large, but I feel that they are well under the teacher's control. I would recommend this school.

Posted September 21, 2004

The inconsistency in curriculum from one grade to the next is very disturbing. I expected there to be communication as to what needs to be accomplished by year end so that it would be picked up the following year. This doesn't happen. The discipline policy and enforcement of the dress code is poor. However, what lacks the most is on the part of administration to address the concerns of the parents. Teacher contracts are renewed year after year when they have not proved to be effective teachers and there have been numerous complaints concerning their teaching approaches. Administration's solution seems to be to move them into another grade. If your child struggles with school work, this is not the school for them. Class sizes are far too large for any individual attention and the student will fall further behind in their work.

Posted May 19, 2004

I have two children with learning disabilities. They have received excellent help. The kindergarten teacher caught it both times at the same point I did. Help is there for the asking. But you need to ask, help and work with the teachers and your child. The special reading teacher is very good. I had the opportunity to meet with the public school system regarding my son and St. Mary's teachers were doing more and were more knowledgable than the help he would receive from the public school system. The class sizes are big but if your child is able to focus on the tasks at hand, they will do fine. Some teachers are better than others and they each have their own teaching styles as in all schools. St. Mary's have school masses with excellent participation from the students. It is a big school with many good qualities.

Posted August 26, 2003

If your child is struggling to keep up or is above average, this is not the school for them. The classrooms average 35 students and are overcrowded. Very little extra help is available to students who are struggling. Grading is inconsistant. I have received progress reports that indicated that my child was doing poorly in almost every subject, yet 4 weeks later the report card shows B's, C's and even an A or two! Talking with teachers is difficult and the teachers don't communicate with teachers in the other grades. In the 6 years my child atended this school she had only two teachers who I considered good. I feel like I paid $3,000.00+ a year for a substandard education.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Dr. Kathleen Benton
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Joliet

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

440 Prairie Avenue