Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Puffer Elementary is the best kept secret in Downers Grove. Other schools' parents have created a perception of superiority, comparing their "Harvard" school with Puffer, all in the name of moving school boundaries. Keep your overcrowded, entitled, ugly dialogue and leave us to enjoy our loving, nurturing environment. We'll enjoy our preschool, full-day kindergarten, hot lunch and air conditioning. We'll immerse our kids among children who have disabilities and speak multiple languages. Puffer kids come from families in 4,000 sq ft homes and one-bedroom apartments. And imagine the shock: they're all friends. Diversity is part of life and my kids will be kind and compassionate adults because of what they've taken away from Puffer. Trying to shield children in a white-bred cage won't do your kids any favors. So yes, Pierce Downer parents, be sure to keep reminding yourselves of your superiority, ensure that your children know that they are better than others simply by where they live, and see how that rolls out.

I cannot say enough about our experience at Henry Puffer School. It is an amazing little community that consists of caring administrators, teachers, support staff, and parents. My son wakes up excited to start his school day and that to me speaks volumes. I love the closeness of the Puffer family. It has a very welcoming atmosphere that is not easy to find.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers at Henry Puffer are absolutely WONDERFUL! Puffer has a very caring and committed teaching staff.

I could not ask for a better school to send my children to. Henry Puffer teachers and students are exceptional. The school administration is very involved with the students and parents. Puffer constantly strives to enhance the educational experience by implementing new methods for teaching in order to make learning fun for students. I would never consider moving out of the district and encourage my friends to move into the area.

We moved here 4 years ago from the city and did our research on schools. Given the options to live anywhere in the district, I would still choose Puffer over any other school. The teachers, staff and principal are all very dedicated and loving people committed to the kids. It's not a job to them, but like family. The families that make up Puffer are real, engaged and kind hearted parents that love their kids and want to do the best for their families. This environment creates a tight knit communal feel. We are a small school. Class sizes are small. I love it. We have an art room. We have a music room. We have hot lunch. We have a huge gym and stage for talent shows, dances and other extra currricular activities. Ask around. Other DG 58 schools don't have these amenities and small class sizes. Our PTA is EXTREMELY involved and has lots of families supporting the cause. The teachers are amazing and trying to teach the kids to be kind, compassionate human beings on top of the regular curriculum. We have this year's DG 58 Distinguished Service Award winner in OUR school. My kids receive personalized attention and support in their academics. Your kids aren't desk fillers here. Teachers go above and beyond, even after they leave the classroom. My daughter's old math teacher is still checking in on her progress and she's already moved up to the next grade. That is dedication and genuine caring. That is the essence of Puffer.

Teachers, staff and students build each other up here. Full day kindergarten is offered, preschool in building too, plus before and after care if offered. Beautiful grounds, plans for playground upgrades, environmentally forward thinking (we have solar panels and our working on other resources next). We have our own weather observation & science station on our school roof that parents can connect with. So many extracurricular offered here for extra learning; Earth Club, Chess club, Young Rembrandts, Reading Games, Science Fair, to name a few. Innovative teaching ideas and experience abounds on every level; from administration to teachers to classroom aids. Our PTA is also something to talk about with fun outings and events planned all year long, like Trivia nights, Art Fairs, and Family reading nights. This school is a warm community that treasures all of its students and realizes just how important this time in their lives is.

When a child comes home from school upset because a teacher has little or NO patience and is constantly yelling, I feel maybe it's time to find a new profession or retire. We were so happy with most of the teacher's but there is always one that just makes your child's life miserable.

Puffer students have the best test scores in the district. We often receive a bad reputation because Henry Puffer has not been part of District 58 forever. But Puffer is a wonderful school full of fabulous teachers and staff who are nothing but helpful teachers and staff. District 58 does not offer that many programs especially extra programs during the school day. Puffer students learn in small class sizes, have a great school community, and exceed on every level. Henry Puffer School has been a wonderful experience for our children and family.

My 4 year old attends the Puffer preschool program. I have nothing but positive things to say about the program and my son loves it.

This is a fantastic school based around a very involved community of parents. The principal of the school is an excellent educator and administrator and looks out for the needs of each individual child. The school is well supported by the PTA and there is a high degree of support from the parents of the students. Class sizes are small which I believe is a huge plus.

Last modified Henry Puffer School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.