Elgin, IL
Students enrolled: 1,994

Posted August 20, 2013
As a 2012 Graduate, I can honestly say that Larkin High is not as bad as people make it out to be. Dr. Tuin is a GREAT principle. He is involved unlike the former principle, be glad they cleaned out the former administration, because they were horrible! Dr. Tuin and Mrs Livengood can be seen around the school alot! As far as the deans, they get gutted out frequently! As a college student, I do feel prepared for everything that I am doing, but at Larkin if you want a quality education, you have to put in the work.

Posted January 14, 2012
Larkin keeps getting better every year. The new administration really has a handle on things. Fights have been reduced by close to 70% since the change in leadership. The teachers are very dedicated and caring. My daughter feels very safe at this school. I'm just sad that It's gotten a bad rap as has the city of Elgin. We are proud to be Royals living in Elgin.

Posted January 03, 2012
This is my daughter's second year at Larkin. I've met her teachers and her Principal on several occasions. Teachers are enthusiastic, knowledgeable, patient. They are always available for students that need extra help.

Posted June 03, 2011
the school is one of the best we should be proud to have this school in our area

Larkin High School 3

Posted February 03, 2009
I have nothing but good things to say about Larkin High School. Going to this school taught me more that just math, english, history, etc. I experienced many things that a lot of students don't ever get to experience. And there are many teachers at that school that have changed my life and helped me better prepare myself for college and the real world. The school has great history department and all the teachers deserve a 10. And Mrs. Wiess taught me things to this day I still remember when writing a paper. * It is not impossible to get to classes on time. * I feel lucky to have gone to larkin and met so many different kinds of people. Most people go to college and are shocked by the diversity. I got to college and was wished my college was more diversed like Larkin.

Larkin High School 1

Posted May 18, 2008
Well where do I start? Larking High School offers a student from every background you can think of which is great! and seems you meet a new kind of student everyday. The teachers, well some teach and some just talk about there life. but the teachers that do teach are just great I mean a lot these teachers i'll remember for the rest of my life and teach you what they love and also what's inside the book, But then there teachers where the only thing you learn is about there own lives. The deans only about 1/2 of them are fair to there students also they worry more about where your cell phone is then taking control of the gang members.

Larkin High School 3

Posted April 23, 2007
I am a currently a junior at Larkin High School. There are problems here like every other school but I must say that I believe discipline to be the biggest issue. Many deans treat students unfairly. Besides discipline, many teachers seem unexperienced and off track in their lessons. On another note however, the academy has a great art program with many talented teachers in this area.

Posted March 31, 2007
After reading many of the reviews, I found most negative views of the school come from parents. Yes, Larkin has its problems, every school does. The whole U46 School District has problems funding things. However, I am a graduate of Larkin and feel that I am a more rounded student having come from a school of many backgrounds and even having to raise more money for things you want to get done instead of having everything handed to me. Larkin has great teachers whose lessons I remember still today. As far as it not having many extra-circular activates I disagree. You just have to look to be able to figure out what you like. Larkin now has clubs such as: NHS, math team,language clubs, student government, class officers, and all your usual sports including blowing and badminton.I am proud to be an Alumni of LHS!

Posted March 14, 2007
I am a current student of Larkin, and I agree that it isn't as bad as it could be. My only complaints are regarding the lunch menu(as there are sometimes no vegetarian choices) and a few administrators. I think the principal should have more involvement. The assistant principal, while not always liked by students, at least gets involved. I also think that certain deans need to better discipline. So aside from lunch menu and the need to stick to the disciplinary measures listed in the handbook, it's a decent school. I've had some great teachers and met kids more open-minded than at other schools. Other schools were forced to close down their Gay-Straight Alliances, and Larkin allows it.

Posted October 24, 2006
As a graduate of the 2006 class from Larkin High, I have to say that the school is not as bad as everyone puts it to be. They may be overcrowded, short-staffed, and not have the most logical ways of teaching, but they get it done. The teachers have taught kids the importance of going to college and what it takes to be successful. It is the students fault for not attending class and not listening to what the teachers have to say. On a negative note about the school, the disciplinary actions that are taken are completely out of sync. They hold no barrier in kicking a student out for a week just because he says a swear word to loud. The principal has no student relations. This is a good school, it is just greatly misgoverned and misconceived. Don't take all negative comments seriously. -Matt Idstein, Class of 2006.

Larkin High School
1475 Larkin Avenue, Elgin, IL  60123
Last modified Larkin High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Larkin High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top