Elgin, IL

Lowrie Elementary School 1

Posted October 27, 2014
Both of my children lived with their father in Elgin IL. I started court proceedings early in the year of 2014. During court proceedings Lowrie was extremely unprofessional but the problems began far before that. My son was testing at a pre-K to kindergarten level going in to the 3rd grade. Upon my questioning why that was happening I was offered no explanation as well as no solutions. I forced my ex husband to call for a meeting in hopes to possibly get the IEP started. Lowrie proceeded to tell us that they couldn't just get him on IEP however, they would start the process. I was supposed to get a call from the school social worker one week later, she didn't call till 2 mo later. While in this meeting a Mrs Martin looked at my ex while he was rolling his eyes at me and stated "I know, its okay" meaning that me asking about my son and showing concern was somehow inappropriate. I told the principal, she showed no concern at all and showed unprofessionalism worse than her staff. This school is filthy, understaffed, staff is not equipped to handle the economic downslide, honestly there is nothing good about this school. This is all I had room for but keep your kids out of this school!

Lowrie Elementary School 3

Posted November 10, 2010
Lowrie has its ups & downs. My kids are in an emotionally safe place - the kids are generally ALL nice to each other. The teachers are also great teachers. The downside is that with being in an economically disadvantaged neighborhood, there are a disproportionate number of students who lag behind. As a result, all time has to been spent on basics with little or no time left for extras, like science and social studies. 80% of the population is hispanic & very uninvolved with the school.

Lowrie Elementary School 5

Posted April 25, 2010
As a substitute teacher, I've never had a negative experience at Lowrie. Staff is prepared and helpful, parents are attentive and aware of all students, and the building is older but maintenance keeps it in the best shape they can.

Lowrie Elementary School 0

Posted April 19, 2010
Awesome staff, continued dedication even with dwindling resources and greater expectations

Lowrie Elementary School 5

Posted May 11, 2009

Lowrie Elementary School 2

Posted October 01, 2008
This school is too focused on children that cannot speak English. It needs to serve all students equally. I think my children should be taught Spanish.

Lowrie Elementary School
264 Oak Street, Elgin, IL  60123
Last modified Lowrie Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lowrie Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top