No rating

St Laurence Elementary School

Private | PK-8

Living in Elgin

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $107,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Posted April 24, 2014

My son is finishing up his last year at St. Laurence and I am so sad. They are the best group of teachers and know how to provide the one on one help that each child needs. They enrich the kids' lives with practical situations and have high expectations for each student. Academically, the school is exactly where it should be, but more than that, they offer spiritual guidance that can only be taught through example. Every single staff member from the principal on down leads our students to be the best.

Posted April 15, 2014

We toured a few schools prior to our oldest starting Kindergarten. We did not want to use the U46 public school system. We immediately felt at home at St. Laurence. This is truly a family, not just a school.

Posted April 15, 2014

My husband and I view Catholic schools as the complete package. St. Laurence provides an excellent academic experience, but more importantly, the foundation on which is based on a living faith in Jesus Christ. Our child's entire being, her mind, emotion, and soul, is nourished by St. Laurence. Paying for a Catholic education is not cheap, but if you believe that your child is your most important asset, and we certainly do, the money you spend on a Catholic education at St. Laurence is the best investment you ll ever make.

Posted April 10, 2014

The new administration is EXTREMELY difficult to deal with, and is making changes that don't take into consideration the best interests of the children or families. The teachers are wonderful and so are the families, but parents aren't able to be fully involved as they were for the many generations prior to the new principal. It's quite disheartening and very, very sad...

Posted April 4, 2014

St Laurence catholic school is exactly what I was looking for 10 years ago when trying to find a private school for my kids. It has remained a wonderful experience for all this time. Our oldest has gone on to have high honors in high school, and continues to soar academically. His education from St Laurence school was nothing short of wonderful, teachers are amazing, and the overall feel if "family" is what really sets them apart.

Posted April 3, 2014

We came to St. Laurence due to the family atmosphere mainly in the church first..and now the school. It is a close knit community. .but welcoming to outsiders. The teachers are terrific and the school is constantly upgrading itself with new technology. My daughter is becoming a happy, well rounded individual and that's all we can as for as parents.

Posted April 3, 2014

I love the all day Kindergarten and the small class sizes. Even though my son has some learning disabilities the teachers do everything they can to help him. It is a great learning environment for any child, catholic or not.

Posted April 2, 2014

When my family moved to Elgin we toured several of the area Catholic Schools and choose St. Laurence as the best school for our children. The teachers are amazing, I have never seen a better group of teachers in a school anywhere. If I need to speak to them they are always more than helpful and my children love their teachers even if they don't like the subject being taught. The times I have needed to see the principal she has always made the time to see me. During any of our interactions she is always respectful and considerate and has helped me with anything I have asked. My children have also had chances to speak with and even if the principal could not do what they asked my children felt they had been listened too and given a fair chance to express themselves and their ideas. I have had a chance to interact with every member of the St. Laurence staff and they have all been positive and helpful. If I had to make a decision for a school for my children I would definitely pick St. Laurence!

Posted April 2, 2014

The faculty at St. Laurence is wonderful! The teachers care about every facet of the children's educational experience. There are families here that have been here for generations. We chose this school because of the feeling of community, the quality of education, and the respectful behavior of the students.

Posted January 20, 2014

The teaching staff here is outstanding! I have no doubt that my child will have all the tools needed to be successful in high school and the years that follow. Change is inevitable with a new principal (2012). Those changes include many technology updates being made to our school. I very highly recommend this school and suggest that you contact and visit the school to see for yourself. I believe there is an open house next week. Come and meet the staff, and hear first hand how a majority of us families feel about St. Laurence.

Posted October 20, 2010

The class sizes are good. The children are held accountable for their actions in and out of the classroom. The faculty care about the kids and it shows in their handling of them.

Posted October 13, 2010

My kids are fourth generation at St. Laurence. They have received a great education and have made great friends while learning Christian values and discipline.

Posted October 13, 2010

My children attended St. Laurence School and now my grandchildren are students there. The teachers are dedicated, caring and great. Some of them were teachers for my children. Our children are enriched academically and morally at St. Laurence.

Posted May 10, 2010

I attended St. Laurence Catholic School from 1st. grade through 8th. grade, and it has left a lasting impression on my life. The teachers are amazing. They are each so special, and they are attentive to the needs of their students. St. Laurence truly provides its students with a strong academic, spiritual and social atmosphere. The education I received not only helped me to prepare for high school, but it also helped to nurture my faith in Christ. I will never forget all that I learned at St. Laurence, and I will forever be grateful for the experiences I had there.

Posted July 14, 2009

I have been at St. Laurence for the past 3 years and I am extremely happy with the administration and the school curriculum. The school's philosophy matches mine when it comes to the education of my children. I look forward to sending any additional kids I have to this school as well as talking it up to friends and neighbors.

Posted July 17, 2007

My 3 children have been attending St. Laurence School since Kindergarten and I could not be more pleased. All of my children struggle with reading and the staff at St. Laurence go above and beyond to help them. The parents are very involved and there are many special activities offered throughout the year. The leadership at the school is compassionate and strict. One of the things I love is that the school works hard to foster relationship between the older kids and the younger ones. For example 5th graders mentor 1st graders and there is also peer led tutoring where qualified 7th and 8th graders help younger kids with their school work. There is more, but I really do not have enough words to describe how great this school is. Check it out!

Posted July 16, 2007

My children are thriving so well at St. Laurence school. What a great decision it was to switch them from the public school. St. Laurence is so advanced compared to where we came from!

Posted September 19, 2006

I have two children who attend St. Laurence, and we have been very happy with the teachers, the principal and the level of education that they have received there.

Posted March 3, 2006

St. Laurence is great because it is small, one class per grade, and the atmosphere is both caring and academic. The kids are able to grow up in an environment that is somewhat sheltered compared to the more chaotic and unpredictable public schools. The parent involvement is a key component of the school's success and the children's progress. Parents all feel responsible for being part of their child's educational experience. The smaller environment and familiar faces are what make this possible. Parents are encouraged to be a part of school improvements and attend board meetings with concerns or suggestions. Parents, who are able, come to the school weekly to read with the children to support the teachers. Numerous family events over the course of the school year make new parents feel welcome and allow for gradually increasing comfort levels. And the kids love it at St. Laurence.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mrs. Tracy Wahl
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Rockford

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

572 Standish Street