Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Supports LD students: Agree

Based on reviews from other parents who utilized these services I'd say they provide good support in this area.

Amount of homework: Neutral

Homework in our grade level was not provided. It was felt that students should spend more time playing. While I tend to agree, I do feel that a little homework should be given to teach responsibility and good homework practices.

The teachers are nice and on average the curriculum is good. The PTO is wonderful and they provide tons of activities for the students. The front office is responsive and helpful. If your child is advanced, however, this is not the school for you. Their needs will not be met and your child will not feel challenged. The principal's and, by extension, the teacher's attitudes toward advancement is that no student can be beyond their current year curriculum. The principal told my husband and I in separate conversations that parents only think their children are advanced. When pushed, the children will fail to show complete knowledge of material and often are behind. A student receiving top marks on all school work including the enrichment work and scoring in the 97th percentile on MAP testing would be limited to “diving deeper” into the same material with no growth opportunities. Our student liked the social activities provided at this school, but stated that learning was boring and not fun. We found the principal’s attitude disturbing and disappointing when challenged on the district's curriculum (he helps develop curriculum for the district). We were told that they had a gifted program previously that did not work and there were no plans for the development of a more viable one. In the end, we took our student out of Prairie View. We moved to a school that provides better opportunities for academic growth and has a positive attitude on differentiated learning. Other nearby districts like U-46 (Access to Inquiry and Meaning) and the Saint Charles D303 (Gifted and Talented Education Studies) have elementary gifted programs that have been successful for a number of years. Administrators from both of these districts (at school and district level) were helpful and willing to provide guidance/resources to help us.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I feel the teachers are effective given the confines of the district polices.

This is a really nice school and I am impressed with the way the teachers and the principal care for the students. The constant communication with teachers and the nice facility (pretty new) makes for a good learning enviornment.

In response to the comment about the school cutting programs, it s not the school that cuts the programs, it s the state that cuts money and the district in turn cuts programs. It s not right to blame a school for something beyond its control. Not many schools would place a student in any type of challenge program just because the parent wanted them in it. Typically, a child has to qualify for that type of program. The principal seems friendly. Parent involvement is great. There seems to be quite a few parent volunteers in and out of classrooms and the PTO offers so many great events. Teacher quality is difficult to rate because all teachers are different; some more involved than others. My child s Kindergarten teacher was amazing. She saw things in my own child that I hadn't recognized. She was cut from the staff after that school year. That was disappointing. The next teacher didn t seem to connect well with my child. She would often inform me of my child s weaknesses but didn t offer help or solutions. The following year was better because the teacher saw my child s struggles from the get-go and began observations and interventions right away.

We are not the only parents taking our children out of this school due to lack of advanced placement classes and a lack of helping those with learning disabilities. The are several parents whom I have spoken with the have fought with the principal, teacher etc. regarding these issues for their child and still to no avail has my child or theirs been given help or been placed in an advanced classes, whichever one was needed. I do NOT recommend this school.

This new school has excellent facilities. This combined with an outstanding teaching staff and high test scores makes it one of the best middle schools in Kane County. The school is exceptionally strong in science and math as a result of a superior faculty.

This is a fantastic school with a first class teaching team, brilliant teachers and a supportive team of teachers. I am really proud my son (Chase) is a student of such a successful and outstanding school. His teacher s Mrs. Schambach was supportive in every way. When she saw my son struggling a little she put the extra effort to help get him back on track and now he loves to read. She retired this year and she will be missed, but I am glad to let her know she had another fantastic year of making a difference. Chase is in Prairie View s summer reading class and is now reading everything he can get his hands on. I would recommend this school over the best private institutions. PERFECT! Thank you, Eric Castro

For the $5000.00 in taxes I pay annually to this school district, I expect a better system. The school is not air conditioned (for some reason) and it was only built in 2000. It feels very disorganized from everything from the notes being sent home to the school board meeting mintues. Maybe public schools are like this ?! Some time should be spent getting it into a better organization as if I ran my work like this, I would be out of business.

Last modified Prairie View Grade School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.