Elgin, IL

Harvest Christian Academy 2

Posted December 07, 2014
It WAS a good school... but all Good things come to an end. In the beginning it was great, fun field trips great teachers good friends and horrible food :) but as time went on politics got involved and there were some questionable decisions "higher up" in the church. Soon there must have been money issues because our 5th grade out door ed got canceled and our field trips were not good. On one of our field trips we went to an actual mall but the worst thing of that trip was we couldn't buy anything! The kids were great I miss my friends and the teachers but I'm so glad I left. If you want nice friends with a little drama and good teachers go to this school, if you want a decent education don't...

Posted September 14, 2013
This is an excellent school where I have been able to grow in my faith and build a good community of other believers to influence me

Posted May 03, 2013
We have two children at HCA since 2008. They are elementary and junior high age now. A day doesn't go by that we thank the Lord for this school, for it's teachers,staff and administration. We wouldn't be in a place if our kids weren't genuinely loved by their teachers and staff. When teachers are allowed to pray with your child, what an impact that has on them! The quality of education is exceptional, challenging them, preparing them for high school and college. The classrooms and Barton reading program has been a constant place of encouragement. The growth in the Athletics program has been phenomenal, competing in new conferences this year. Our kids are getting a first rate education and competitive athletic exposure. When you add in the component that our kids are learning about how the Lord would have them live, being discipled by their teachers and the pastors at the church, our hearts are extremely grateful to be at this school.

Posted February 27, 2013
I have three children in the school and have been here since the beginning in 2004. We wouldn't stay if we didn't believe that the teachers and curriculum were not preparing our children to be all that the Lord has planned for them. We are thankful for the teachers who teach, love and disciple our children. We are thankful for the administrative leaders who take to heart their calling to lead and grow this school. Athletics is growing strong and quickly and under a leader who is passionate about using sports to make courageous, disciplined young leaders of Jesus Christ. Academics are rigorous and college preparatory. Arts program is growing too. LS added a strings program this year. Theater Department will be putting on a large scale production of Willy Wonka in the Worship Center.

Harvest Christian Academy 1

Posted June 04, 2012
I am a former student and I had a terrible experience. If your parents aren't involved in the church, you get treated as less. Everything revolves around politics - the theater, the extra-cirricular classes, etc. I went to Harvest to get away from bullying, but it happened here, too. I know that there's no perfect school, but they set up the appearance of being "christian" when there was so much closed-minded bigotry in the school. I couldn't speak my mind.

Posted April 16, 2011
Three of my children attend Harvest however I would like to address the Upper School. After moving around the country and experiencing several of the best private and public educational environments, I am thrilled that my children have the privilege of attending this school. There are not enough hours in the day for my child to take ALL the classes she would like to take. My other child cannot wait to being Junior High (who can say that?) I love the individual attention students receive and the intentionality to see each student reach their full potential. I love the college prep experience that is offered here! I also appreciate the push to work out problems that kids have with each other. Although it may be difficult and uncomfortable, it is a life skill that will benefit them as adults. HCA is not for everyone but if you are looking for an evangelical college prep experience for your family, this may be it.

Posted April 16, 2011
HCA is a fantastic school. I have 3 kids, one in lower school, one in middle school and one in HS. They all love it! This is their 2nd year here - they were previously in the public school system. I can honestly say there is no other school that I know of that the student/teacher relationship is more caring. The teachers do all they can to see success both academically and socially in their students. Mary Martin, the Upper School Principal, is top-notch. Nothing but deepest respect for her. She loves the kids and is their biggest cheerleader. They just hired a full time Athletic Director who is going to continue to grow their sports program. They certainly have the facility to make that happen. Spiritual mentorship in the kids is incredible

Harvest Christian Academy 4

Posted April 07, 2011
I actually agree with both good and bad comments posted here. I have 2 kids in HCA lower school, and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of some academic programs originally contemplated during preconstruction planning of the school. I'm also a little disappointed with jumps in tuition. However, I'm very pleased with the school's academics. Much, much more importantly though, the teachers and administration LOVE the Lord! Our priority as Christian parents are foremost to make sure our kids learn from a firm Bible based worldview, and also that they are protected from dangerous and even anti-God worldviews put forth in most public schools. HCA isn't a perfect school - I do have doubts about their upper school, which appears way too laid back. I would be happier if the kids in HS wore uniforms and were in an environment that seemed more serious about school - maybe they are, but I don't see it from my perspective. Ultimately I want them to be most serious about the Gospel anyway, but I thnk that happens best in a more serious atmosphere. However, HCA is a good Gospel centered school, whose teachers and administrators truly are sold out to Christ.

Harvest Christian Academy 3

Posted March 18, 2011
We have had all of our children attend Harvest since it opened. We have loved the Christ centered atmosphere created at Harvest. The academic program is less than I would have expected for an "academy", but the Christian atmosphere is far more important. We have experienced some wonderful teachers and administrators who genuinely care and pray for the children at the school. The academic program is on par or slightly above local public schools. Having said that. We have noticed unsettling changes in the school over the last two years. There is a large increase of familial relations working at the school. I know at least 31% of the staff members have a spouse, father, mother, daughter, or son working at either the church or in the school.In addition, the tuition has continued to climb, but classes for the lower school have been cut or reduced and the electives for the high school are limited. Harvest is a good school, but like anything else on this earth, it is not perfect. I would recommend that anyone wanting to enroll to prayerfully consider if this is the right place for your kids or does God have another plan for their education.

Harvest Christian Academy 3

Posted March 16, 2011
I have had a similar experience as one of the reviews below. I do have a student in the grade school, but have removed my child from the Junior High. My daughter was being bothered by other girls and I was asked by the administration to talk to her about her sensitivity level. My son will remain at Harvest until 6 th grade. My experience tells me, depending on who you are regulates how your child is treated at the Junior high level

Harvest Christian Academy
1000 North Randall Road, Elgin, IL  60123
Last modified Harvest Christian Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Harvest Christian Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top