Elmhurst, IL

Posted June 04, 2013
In response to the most recent post about Hawthorne...I find that Hawthorne has been the best school for my children, they feel safe, secure and are challenged each day by talented staff and the office staff if wonderful. The only reason that are businesslike sometimes is they are BUSY! They are very attentive and always address each child who enters the office with respect and caring, as well as the parents coming and going. It's a large school but I've always felt my children and learning and are happy and the teachers keep the classrooms a safe and productive environment. When your child comes home from school sharing all the wonderful parts of their day, from math to art to spanish...you know they are in a nurturing environment. My child is blossoming at Hawthorne as my older ones did...I will greatly miss Hawthorne as this coming year is our last. Volunteer and you will see how well the school runs...great teachers, great kids and fabulous office staff!

Hawthorne Elementary School 3

Posted June 04, 2013
We moved into this school district starting in 2nd grade. Have yet to really be impressed with the education standards, my child felt his first year was a repeat of many things he had learned in 1st grade. The front office staff if very abrupt and could learn some bedside manner, especially since they work with young children. The new principal is definitely a welcome change. The PTA feels exclusive and many look down their nose at you, not welcoming at all to newcomers.

Posted April 26, 2013
I agree with some parents here. The staff who answered my phone was very rude indeed. He was in a rush to end the call and the matter was handled in a demeaning way! Such a surprise and being very disappointed to see those things in a school with strong academic standing.

Posted April 26, 2010
I LOVE Hawthorne. Both of my daughters have attended and because of their age difference we have been there for 10 years. There is a WIDE variety of socio-econmic representation, from the apartments near school to the mansions. Diverse. Just like life. The parents are involved at every level and make great things happen for the students to the benefit of all. And the front staff? They are awesome. They have 600 students to keep track of and if they were too nice parents would be in there all day long so they have to put up a bit of a front. They run the front office like a well run company and your children are in great care should they end up there. Seriously, I was so shocked to find the negative comments about our wonderful school!

Posted April 26, 2010
Hawthorne has been a wonderful place for my children. Hawthorne has a very naturing staff that addresses the needs of each child. My 3 children absolutely loved their teachers. Fourth grade at Hawthorne was in my kids words 'the best Hawthorne has to offer'. The curriculum is suitable and challenging for each child and the extracurricular activities keep the kids coming back for more.

Posted April 21, 2010
I have to say I was suprised at any negative comments about our wonderful school! I have had 2 children go through Hawthorne K-5, and they always felt comfortable and secure. The office staff is very business like when they have to be, it's the largest school in Elmhurst. But, I have a child that has had separation anxiety this year in first grade and her teacher was communicating with me several times a week via hand written note, and I knew she was aware. Also, the office staff is helpful and kind, they will listen to the situation. I always felt like my children were academically motivated with the curriculum and trying new activities. All I can say is positive things about Hawthorne. Parent involvement is highly encouraged, take the time to get to know the staff and volunteer parents, it makes a huge difference.

Hawthorne Elementary School 3

Posted January 06, 2010
I sent my son here for three years. The staff is extremely rude. I don't understand the attitude. I have a BS and a MS degree, but in this school if you don't come to meeting in designer clothes, you'll be treated like dirt. I pulled my son out and I homeschool him now. I want my son to learn respect and this school will never prepare children to be warm and loving towards others. What a unhealthy way to socialize your children.

Posted February 02, 2009
I was also impressed with the strong curriculumn district wide, but was not at impressed with the abrasiveness of the front office staff, were not at all helpful, very short and abrupt answers to my questions I had asked. The community attitude is absolutley appalling! Not friendly or warm or even inviting. These are not the values I want my daughter growing up with. You also need an all day kindergarden class. It really teaches children structure and gets them more ready for 1st grade. What do these children learn in 2 hrs? For a school district thats suppose to be of such high standards..Why is it so far behind with the times. I recently moved here... I've never felt so unwelcomed somewhere in my whole life!

Posted December 04, 2008
Beautifully rebuilt school, strong curriculumn district wide. However, I am concerned with this particular schools community attitude - not very down to earth, seems to be an air of entitlement and materialism. My wife and I are looking to change schools as these are not values we want our children raised with. There are many academically equivalent schools in Elmhurst, so we are looking at our options.

Hawthorne Elementary School 4

Posted September 14, 2005
school excels with math, music programs. children expected to work diligently, homework in all grades. several extra curricular programs, including science program given at local college.

Hawthorne Elementary School
145 Arthur Street, Elmhurst, IL  60126
Last modified Hawthorne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hawthorne Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top