Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted November 18, 2015
the health service/ nurses' office. they are sympathetic to our young women's needs letting them pit-stop there

Develops grit: Agree

Posted November 18, 2015
running up and down 4 floors to various classes within 3 minutes!! no backpacks allowed in class! Grit indeed!!

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted November 18, 2015
the strict bathroom policy discriminates against the girls who at this time are starting monthly cycles. This is already a sensitive subject so imagine having to explain/demonstrate why you have to go to the bathroom

Haven Middle School 4

Posted November 18, 2015
Cirruculum prepares for high school. extracirruculum sports and activities available 6th grade all A's 7th grade all A's so far.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 08, 2015
My child attended this school and experience a large amount of bullying and cover ups by the staff. There is unforntuanately favoritism for certain students who belong to certain long time and prevail aged Evanston families. I would not recommend this school for any child who wants to develop properly into a well rounded high schooler.

Haven Middle School 2

Posted June 08, 2015
This is my sons first year. I have two major complaints, about this school. Since the begining of the school year, I have had a very hard time, in the "Parent to Staff" relations department. Often, teachers/staff do not inform parents, that their child is having problems, until too late. I have also found it difficult, with communicating successfully, with the principle. Plus, the chain of command is choppy. There's a huge gap in communication between staff and parents. I find that, if you do not persistantly ask about your childs progress, then you will never know. Pop up visits to the school are highly recommend. Secondly, I believe the school should spend more time, with helping students to properly intergrate and adjust socially. There are various problems with bullying, and many students stay segregated into groups, from their home schools. Problems like these have become a major issue for my child. He feels the environment is not a possitive or encouraging. Out of concern, that his grades may start to suffer; I am now looking at another school, for my son.

Haven Middle School 5

Posted May 13, 2013
It seems like a lot of the ratings for this school are out-of-date. Haven seems to have been through some rough times a few years ago, but it has definitely turned a corner. My son, who is in 7th grade, has had wonderful teachers. The principal seems extremely competent and on top of things. The only problem is the fact that the school is currently over-subscribed and that this problem will get worse in the next few years because of lack of funds by district 65.

Haven Middle School 3

Posted October 27, 2010
This is my child's first year at Haven, she's a 7th grader and came from a tiny school. During our move I have reached out the principal several times and never heard back. I am not happy with the leadership at the school at all. My daughter comments that she never sees the principals. The music program is excellent and she is loving Spanish and math is challenging. I believe she has excellent teachers. Her English teacher told us, at conferences, that she scored so high on the MAP test that she worries that they'll be nothing left to teach her. I took it as a compliment, but her father got worried - what are they going to do about that, was his question. With this lackluster leadership, I'm really worried myself. Thank God Evanston has been improving it's partnership with Northwestern, so she'll still be challenged.

Haven Middle School 2

Posted October 01, 2008
This is my daughter's first year at Haven and she loves it. I, on the other hand, am not impressed. I feel the teachers are afraid to step in and control the students. The students who are well-behaved and do the work are looked over. I have already had to contact a teacher about questions. I think the it is fortunate for us our daughter is interested in utting in the effort to learn. We have to put in a lot of time to encourage her. The school does nothing. Even she has said that she doesn't feel like she is challenged. I am sorry we enrolled her here.

Haven Middle School 4

Posted December 10, 2007
There is a great music program at Haven, sports, and arts. Most importantly, we need to teach our kids what it means to be responsible students, that it is ok to go to study hall after school or find time with their teacher to ask for the help they need, because there are some very good ones at Haven willing give an extra hand.

2417 Prairie Ave, Evanston, IL  60201
Last modified Haven Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.