Evanston, IL

Lincoln Elementary School 2

Posted November 19, 2014
Sadly, I've been quite underwhelmed with this school over the years. I suppose education has changed over the last decade and I find it hardly recognizable today. I've asked myself many times over the years if it's Lincoln, District 65, or just education these days and I'm not sure of the appropriate answer. Nonetheless, Lincoln has been disappointing to me. We've had our three children here for the last four years and have only had two good teachers between the three of them. The principal is absent, seemingly uninspired and uninspiring, and principal before was aggressive and unwelcoming. I want to love this school, as it's so close and the community is great, but the school and it's staff and lack of staff (office) just don't get the job done. Things need to change from the testing, to the short lunch, to the short recess, and teaching to the test. I don't feel we can raise inspired, free-thinking, functioning, happy children until we make some changes in our schools. Lincoln has just not done it for us.

Posted March 04, 2014
We have been a part of the Lincoln community for several years. The teachers are caring and communicative. The parent community is highly involved. There are many after-school activities and wonderful community-building events. I would definitely recommend Lincoln to other families.

Lincoln Elementary School 2

Posted February 27, 2014
Lincoln is a school that has grown faster than it can handle. Consensus among parents I've polled is that the new Principal doesn't respond to emails or calls and is rarely seen. New renovation left the field where kids used to play a mess and unusable. Outdoor play space severely limited. Indoor recess is awful: no physical activity, kids must be quiet, etc. This school is a mess. We're looking to get the heck out.

Posted October 27, 2013
Lincoln has gone through significant changes in the last three years. There is a gorgeous renovated building (with multi-purpose room, new classrooms, and bright windows), two new young principals, and a growing population now over 500 kids. With that has come changes in leadership and enrichment offerings. This school is certainly on the up and a very popular place to be right now.

Posted May 15, 2012
I have one child now finishing kindergarten. It's been a phenomenal year for our child and for us. The school is in the midst of some much-needed renovations; it will be wonderful not to have to eat lunch in the gym, and to have an auditorium that holds the entire student body.....as well as to have playgrounds and playspaces back from the construction trucks! The physical space results in the one star off.....the teachers, staff, other students and other families have been AMAZING. Very diverse population, strong emphasis on respect, nice positive behavioral incentive program, strong PTA offerings after school....we're thrilled to be part of the Lincoln community.

Lincoln Elementary School 3

Posted April 17, 2011
I have 2 children at this school. One is in middle school now and she did fine, except for the kindergarten class needs lots of work. My other daughter has been recently diagnosed with ADD, I had issues previously but was told by teachers she would grow out of it. I have to say with the type of issues someone should have spoken to me earlier. I hate to feel that she was just overlooked academically. However, I am dealing with it now and working very hard with her, I just feel that with this common disorder teacher needs to read the signs since they do have our kids for the better part of the day and can see the issues in that setting where it is important. The parent community is awesome.

Posted February 23, 2011
I have 3 kids at Lincoln K,3,5. The school has had strong teachers with small class sizes. The facilities are the weakest link - and are on a plan to be improved by the school district. The math curriculum is strong and differentiation is happening in the classroom - although it took 1/2 year to kick in. I am most impressed by the other kids. Great diverse student body with extremely talented children in many dimensions. There are many activities before/after school from an outstanding Chess program to languages and Yoga. The parent base is re-energizing and activating with a VERY large K class this year and expected for next year. The Principal has been with the School for 10 years and brought stability to the school as it re-energizes for continued improvement. As you look at test scores I encourage you to look at all bands as there is a very diverse student body. There is strength throughout the spectrum and the trend is moving the right direction.

Posted October 04, 2008
This is our 8th and final year at Lincoln (2 kids from k-5) and it's been a great experience. I would certainly recommend this school to any parents considering it. The class sizes are generally below average and we've found the principal and teachers to be very engaged and easy to talk to. The teachers are in tune with each other so the programs are coordinated from one level to the next - the kids are prepared. The PTA is well run and I recommend getting involved. No matter where you end up, there's a good chance you'll find things thatyou think are not perfect - at Lincoln you will be heard and they will work with you to get your kids where they need to be.

Posted January 26, 2008

Posted January 15, 2008
The community of teachers, staff, parents, and students is fabulous and, in my experience, supportive and inclusive. My son is involved in two after-school activities, sponsored by the PTA, and loves them. My son has some minor special needs and has never been teased or ridiculed for them, which is worth its weight in gold to a parent. Both teachers we've had have worked with us, and with understanding, to meet my son's needs and to challenge him at the same tim.

Lincoln Elementary School
910 Forest Avenue, Evanston, IL  60202
Last modified Lincoln Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lincoln Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top