Evanston, IL
Students enrolled: 2,976

Evanston Twp High School 4

Posted March 18, 2015
Being a minority student and coming from a small private middle school, the transition to here was hard. Many students already had friends from their own public school. After a while, everyone started to come together and break away cliques and start new ones with different schools. The teachers are not state of the art, but if you are attentive and engaged they will give challenging extra work. Freshmens get on many sport teams, after that coaches will let you off the team if you're not good enough. If you end up going to this school STAY FOCUSED!!! Do not try and get into the "in crowd" or hang out with the emptyheads here. There will be fights, I've seen only two. Unless you hang out with the wrong crowd, I guarentee you won't get into a fight, unless you provoke someone. I would say that I learned a lot from this school that has prepared me for college. This school may have flaws but every school does. Just stay focused with your academics and do what YOU want to do, not your friends, and you'll be fine.

Posted February 09, 2015
Best school ever! My kid loves it! Highly reccomend you to have your kids go here!!!!!

Evanston Twp High School 2

Posted January 21, 2015
For all of it's bragging about what a great school this is, we have had an experience on par with a Three Stooges episode. My son is a freshman with a 504. In the beginning of the year it was clear that we needed to talk to someone about resources available to him. I called his counselor/case manager three to four times, leaving messages with no response. Finally, we had to call an emergency meeting and have her replaced. The vice principal was nice enough in person, said she'd follow up with us about the situation, and proceeded to never call us back. To top it off, she signed him up for an elective that he found out today, on the first day of class, that freshman were not allowed to take. I can only imagine the disservice this woman is doing to other students, not to mention the buck-passing administration. Really disappointed in this place. We are looking at private schools in the area.

Posted March 25, 2012
Not really understanding the purpose of the comment below about white kids in AP classes and blacks in special ed. I am a black alumni and I took plenty of honors/AP classes while attending this school and that thought did not once cross my mind. I personally believe that there are a lot of black students that can strive more and take more challenging classes, but that doesn't mean that they are all in special ed!!! With that being said, there are also a lot of black students that I have known that have taken all AP classes. If I were you, I would completely revoke that comment! This school is actually very racially intergrated and I enjoyed getting to know more about other races and cultures. ETHS has been a great school in building character and intelligence. Most of the teachers and tutors are always ready to help. As long as your child has proper training at home, he/she won't be involved in too many altercations, if any..

Posted May 22, 2011
I didn't see many recent reviews of ETHS, so I thought I would give my two cents. I had a son graduate in 2010 and I have a daughter that will be a freshman in the 2011-12 school year. My son took Honors and AP classes and didn't like them (he did however appreciate the credits when he go to college). My daughter is going to be in the new mixed level Honors classes. I don't have a problem with that. The school is very racially segregated right now. You see mostly white kids in AP classes and mostly black kids in Special Ed classes. Aside from that, I think the school does a very good job. There are something like 40 different sports teams and over 100 clubs. There are a variety of support programs to help the students (SOS/Wildkit Academy) as well. Recently, we have been in the news a lot for negative things. We do have some challenging students from the rough parts of town that have issues. Our administration and school board need to be more firm with problem students. I think the reason we are featured on the news so much has more to do with the fact that quite a few of the news people live in Evanston and some even have students at the school. Overall, it is an excellent school!

Posted January 25, 2011
I attend this school now and absolutely love it. I love the diversity. ETHS gives a taste of the real world without putting anyone's safety in danger. For the most part, the teachers and faculty are great. The school also offers exceptional courses. One that stands out in particular is Senior Studies. The class entails a first semester filled with experiential, relevant learning with topics from education to crime and punishment. Then the class offers a second semester independent project, which each students creates based off of his/her interests. Senior Studies prepares students for college by teaching time management and presentation/communication skills and having a rigorous, truly interesting curriculum. The class is a mixed class, but you would never know it. Also, ETHS offers a ton of extra-curricular activities that appeal to every student's interest. There is a ton of support offered to help students succeed. I love Evanston and am glad that I will graduate Evanston Township High School.

Posted December 13, 2010
Excellent teachers, Strong principal/school leadership, Challenging academic programs, Teacher's, talk to parents regularly about their children's progress. Challenge students to learn. Give students the attention they need to thrive in class.

Evanston Twp High School

Posted September 16, 2009
The school has something for everyone. A real learning atmoshphere exists at the school.

Posted September 03, 2009
Wonderful experience for both of my kids. Great diversity, great teachers, great administration.

Posted August 08, 2009
I just recently graduated from this institution and I absolutely loved it. There is a unique diversity because we house the richest of the rich with others who aren't as well off under one roof. Now, granted that this diversity does not necessarily foster complete integration, being exposed to people of different economic lifestyles was beneficial. Academically, like previously said, the school is really great for students going in the right direction. Most Honors classes are taught at a high level and are helpful to those enrolled in them. However, there is a huge disparity between Honors and AP classes and Regular ones. I have heard countless tales of people dropping from Honors to Regular and having an ending grade with very high A's. There is no middle ground. Extra-curricular activities are great and offer a multitude opportunities.

Evanston Twp High School
1600 Dodge Avenue, Evanston, IL  60201
Last modified Evanston Twp High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Evanston Twp High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top