No rating

St Athanasius Elementary School

Private | K-8 | 33 students

Living in Evanston

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $345,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,220.

Posted November 5, 2013

St. Athanasius, a Blue Ribbon School, is a wonderful place to learn. It has an excellent curriculum and loving teachers. My childrens' favorite memories are the book report dioramas, the Native American Indian Village project, the timelines with photographs of their life and the Flat Stanley travel assignment and bulletin board!

Posted January 23, 2012

Saint A's is well worth the financial commitment for our family. The enthusiastic teachers at St. A's give each child the time & attention he/she needs to help them excel. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment! You can feel the love and connectedness when you walk in the doors- between the students, parents, teachers... St. As is an amazing school community providing so much opportunity for the students!

Posted December 10, 2011

We are thrilled with the education our children are receiving at St. Athanasius. There are many truly amazing teachers who care about the children and challenge them to excel, the sense of community is wonderful and parents are very involved. The education is first rate, there are many opportunities for children to development leadership skills, and the atmosphere is nurturing.

Posted December 8, 2011

St. Athanasius provides and outstanding educational experience for grades k-8. The challenging, supportive and nurturing community and staff help each individual child make the most of their potential. Whether a child needs a helping hand, enrichment to satisfy advanced skills or something in between, St. A's is attentive to each student. They focus on the whole child. The parent community is involved, accomplished and welcoming. 5+ stars!

Posted January 26, 2010

I go to St.Athanasius, and I'm in 7th grade. Throughout my young years as a student here, I loved it. When I reached 5th grade, I didnt love it as much. In 6th grade, I dint really like it, either. This was because the teachers were not the best, the Math program was terrible, and the kids were a little mean, too. Now I'm in 7th grade. I think the Community of parents are very kind, but that may be the only amazing thing I can find about this school. Im Unit D, the Teachers dont really answer questions, nor help you understand it. I also had some people be mean to me, not the best school....
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 3, 2009

It is warm, friendly, spirited, nurturing, inspiring, challenging, old-school values with new methods of teaching.

Posted October 30, 2009

St. A's provides educational excellence as well as ethical values. It is worth every penny and then some.

Posted February 27, 2009

St. Athanasius is an outstanding community of involved parents and dedicated teachers with a well developed curriculum. Class sizes are kept small and the lower grades all have teacher's aides. I would strongly recommend St. A's to prospective families. Make sure you are aware of application deadlines. There has been a wait list in recent years.

Posted December 18, 2008

as a recent alum, St. A's was the best. They prepared me for highschool very well. However the best thing about St. A's was the sports. Football was a huge part of going to St. A's

Posted November 7, 2008

Our whole family is having an incredible life experience at St. A's. We are all involved in the many wonderul offerings of the school. The kids are recieving a terrific education, in a strong, loving, positive environment. The teachers are the best, we are so very lucky to have enthusiatsic, inspiring people, who give so much to enriching our children's lives. As parents , we are very involved in the parent organization, the fundraising and are greatly benefiting from the parent community we have been blessed to bring into our lives. I cannot say enough about how happy we are with our decision in choosing St. A's. Your life is what you give back and how you choose to participate. Check us out! Dawn Betz

Posted September 21, 2008

At St. A's you pay for a private school, but they overload the classes so that the class sizes are larger than the public schools.

Posted April 17, 2007

This is a real terrific school. All three of our boys have attended and we have always been favorably impressed by their 'teach the whole child' philosophy. The recent renovations and new principal are also great.

Posted November 14, 2006

We have been blessed this year with a new principal, Sue Castagna. I have 2 boys at St.A's and cannot say enough about the faculty and staff. Ifeel that both of my children are being challenged academically and I know that the best is yet to come as they get closer to high school preparation. There were some faculty changes a couple years ago and they have made the school stronger. Most importantly, our new principal is outstanding. I am confident that any areas of weakness will be over come in a very short period of time with her in charge. There is the strongest sense of community and pride.

Posted April 2, 2006

Parent envolvment is outstanding at this school and probably the best thing about it. Unfortunatly the education, which is what truly matters here wasnt the best for my child. Good environment but just not enough emphasis on acedemics and faith.

Posted December 19, 2005

Overall a nice environment. My child however wasnt challeged enough or had the oppertunity to learn more than one foreign language as other Catholic schools do in the area. A stronger math program would also be a nice addition.

Posted September 7, 2005

Its a good school, although there is very little diversity, so it makes it hard if you are a minority trying to fit in. That was just my perspective with my sons class, however, it may not be that way for all.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 11, 2005

Our family has four children enrolled in St. Athanasius School, and I have been very favorably impressed with the quality of the faculty and the principal. This is an outstanding school. The teachers on the whole are well prepared and professional. The academic programs are strong, especially in the primary and middle grades. French and Spanish are taught. There is a real feeling of commitment to the success of the students and to their spiritual development. The strength of the programs reflect the strong leadership of the principal. Extra curricular activities abound, and consistent parental involvement is a plus.

Posted May 31, 2004

After 2 years in Sauganash Public, we went to St. A's and are absolutely thrilled with the school. The ethos is caring - the curriculum very well thought out - the spiritual orientation refreshingly thoughtful. Being university professors, we have high expectations of what should happen in elementary education and St. A's has truly exceeded our hopes. It really strives to educate the whole person. Contrary to one reviewer, we have not found it to be cliquish at all.

Posted February 8, 2004

Very Clique-ish. Good academics, but inflexible style. Fine if the child fits their very rigid mold.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Susan Castagna
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2510 Ashland Avenue