No rating

Chiaravalle Montessori School

Private | PK-8 | 362 students

Living in Evanston

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $345,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,220.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted March 4, 2014

The new Head of School is amazing and has really made a difference at Chiaravalle. She is a well-rounded and has experience in many roles including teacher, program director, parent and now Head. The school has a wonderful positive feeling and this combined with the excitement of the new North Wing, Chiaravalle is a fantastic choice for any family.

Posted August 11, 2013

This schools sucks. The teachers give like a five minute lesson. And you have listen really well because I this school they give you alot of freedom and they will Turk during the lesson to tell the other students that they are giving a lesson and that they need to be quiet even Though they can't help our selves. and because they are children. But I can tell you this. At first when you go there you be like "mom, dad I love this school" and then when the year after that you will be like "mom I hate this school". But the PE teacher is really nice!!

Posted May 16, 2013

My son is wrapping up his second year at Chiaravalle and the amount of growth that I have seen in him is tremendous. He first started off last school year in the Toddler program and I felt that he was able to really begin to express himself and grow independently. This year in the the 3-6 program, I was afraid of him getting lost in the crowd but he has really taken to the kindergarten mentors in his classroom and not only has he begun reading and writing but his math capabilities have really strengthened where the Montessori math introduction has really benefited him. The teachers have been really great with him and he comes back with all of these stories and the community is really wonderful for his growth.

Posted May 24, 2012

My daughter is currently in fifth grade and she loves it at Chiaravalle. It has helped her become strong in all subjects and learn at her own pace. She is going to seventh grade next year to accommodate her needs, and the principal was supportive and also realistic. The environment is great and she met two of her best friends at Chiaravalle. She is extremely exited to have more homework, and I think this is because of the way they teach there. She started here at Pre-K and fit in right away. The teachers treat everybody equal and keep the drama under control. I would definitely recommend this school to any parent.

Posted November 8, 2011

The strengths of this school are individual attention to each child's learning style, needs and interests. learning happens in a natural way that children find interesting and meaningful. Children are respected and by this example learn to be much more respectful of others than many children in their age group. The school is beautiful, clean and well-lit. The school welcomes all kinds of children and families, has a higher level of racial diversity than most private schools and makes significant efforts to welcome an economically diverse population. As a lesbian family, an interracial family and an adoptive family, we have felt not just welcome, but understood.

Posted October 31, 2011

Chiaravalle is a wonderful school. My son was in the toddler program last year and is now in 3-6. Above all I was looking for was a Montessori program. We live in Andersonville and looked into Rogers Park Montessori and Near North Montessori also. Frankly, both of those schools did not have a space for us because of siblings and limited space, so we enrolled in Chiaravalle. I may have chosen Chiaravalle anyway because it felt more welcoming than the others even though one of the other schools was literally 3 blocks away from where we live. First, it is accredited by AMS, meaning it sticks pretty closely to the Montessori philosophy with some flexibility, which is important to me. Second, they have wonderful teachers and staff. Everyone who works there seems to take ownership of the school environment and are consistent in how they respect the children. Third, the learning environment is beautiful. The school has recently gone through major renovation. The early education rooms are very clean and orderly, and the elementary spaces are amazing. The parent community is great. And finally, most importantly, my son loves going to school every day.

Posted October 21, 2011

My daughter is currently in first grade at Chiaravalle, and both she and I couldn't be happier with the curriculum, teachers, and community. All of my daughter's teachers (and the whole staff) clearly care very much about her (and every child) as a whole child: they are nurturing, encouraging, spend lots of time and energy determining and providing just the right level of challenge for her as an individual learner, and are passionate about learning themselves and help to instill a life-long love of learning in all their students. My child is not just thriving academically at Chiaravalle but learning skills that will serve her well throughout her life.

Posted July 14, 2011

We were at Chiaravalle for 2 years. We had a wonderful first year. However, the second year we discovered that the school is ill-equipped and unwilling to handle differently abled students. The teachers were wonderful, but the resource/special services staff and principal were dismal. Once our child began to experience difficulties at school, we were treated so poorly. The lack of communication and respect was appalling. For example, the principal called us to meetings to discuss our child's functioning and educational placement -- without the teacher's presence or involvement (even though we continually and vehemently insisted that the teacher's presence was essential)! I could go on and on, but I will spare you the details of our horrendous experience. I loved the community and teachers at this school, but this experience broke our hearts. Please beware of Chiaravalle if your child is different in any way.

Posted May 19, 2011

My son has eaten up the education offered at Chiaravalle. He started as a 3 year old and is now in 5th grade. Along the way, he learned to add & subtract positive AND negative numbers (as a 4 year old), write a research paper on Nuclear Physics (3rd grade), and perform in MacBeth (5th grade). The teachers are wonderful at nurturing each student's interests and also at guiding them to areas that don't come as naturally to them. The school listens to feedback from parents and has easily accessible administrators. Twice yearly parent-teachers conferences, sports teams for the older kids, and a great facility complete this exceptional school.

Posted May 16, 2011

My son has been going here for 2 years now. I will say that this was not originally my first choice (because of distance) but he is doing well, he is happy and I can't help but notice how well the children behave and interact with one another (older grades with younger). The daily commute is well worth it.

Posted May 16, 2011

We are wrapping up our second year at Chiaravalle (our daughter is currenty a 1st grader "first year") and we couldn't be happier with the teachers, curriculum, class size, community support and friends we have made Chiaravalle. Our daughter started at Chiaravalle as a Kindergartener for what we thought was going to be our first and only year at Chiaravalle. However, the richness of the curriculum, materials available in the classroom, committed staff and dedicatation to providing a true Montessori education has been exemplary. We investigated many options, but nothing has come close to what Chiaravalle offers. Our daughter and family will be at Chiaravalle for many years to come.

Posted May 16, 2011

My daughter has been at Chiaravalle for four years and it's been a wonderful experience for our entire family. The school is remarkable and its faculty and parent community are passionate, strong and supportive. The mixed age classroom is nurturing and teaches empathy and citizenship at an early age. (My daughter was so excited and proud the first time she helped a younger student button his jacket.) She has truly blossomed at Chiaravalle. It's a very special place that has provided her the perfect balance of independence and guidance to learn with vigor and confidence. I highly recommend this amazing school that will teach your child a love of learning that will last their lifetime.

Posted May 16, 2011

We have two boys at CMS, ages 5 and 9. While we have tried another, there is no finer school for the education of our young boys.

Posted December 23, 2010

I just saw the movie Race to Nowhere and felt better than ever that my kids are at Chiaravalle Montessori. While other schools promote memorization (think multiplication tables and spelling bees), fact building (text books full of bullet points) and hours of homework each night (enough said) as a means to force knowledge onto children, Chiaravalle is teaching my children to be problem solvers and critical thinkers and develop a love of learning. In addition, Chiaravalle is showing my children how to work in teams and develop leadership skills. These are the tools that will guide my kindergardener and 3rd grader to success in adolescence and adulthood far more effectively than their ability to ramble off the all 50 state capitals or US presidents... Chiaravalle teaching and the warm and nurturing community have been a gift to our family.

Posted May 19, 2010

I have two children at Chiaravalle, one in upper elementary, another in the middle school. I also have a child who graduated a few years ago. The academics and attention to the development of the whole child have been excellent. Looking at my high school age son and his peers who graduated with him, Chiaravalle clearly gave them social and academic confidence, leadership skills (many of his friends from Chiaravalle have taken on leadership roles in their local public high school) and an extraordinary ability to work with and motivate others.

Posted April 27, 2010

My child has been at CMS for three years. We have loved the hands on materials and interesting curriculum. The level of independence and ownership children have at an early age is remarkable. These skills are clearly evident in their elementary middle school students as well. There is a nice level of attention given to promoting diversity and supporting students with learning challenges. I have found the social emotional approach to be a tremendous strength of the school. Admin and teachers have been very responsive to our needs. Thank you CMS! This is a very special place to educate a child!

Posted March 25, 2010

We are in our 3rd year at Chiaravalle, with both of our boys (2yrs & 4 yrs) attending. We have experienced the Parent/Infant, 3-Day Toddler, and 3-6 programs. After looking at different schools throughout Evanston, it was clear to us that we wanted our children at Chiaravalle. What is most valuable about Chiaravalle is difficult to put into words (as I feel are most things in life of true value). There is a feeling when one walks into a Chiaravalle classroom that is filled with peace (yes, peace, in a room of 3-6 yr olds), respect and a sense of community. My husband and I have no worries about the level of learning (academically) our children will continue to receive there. Most importantly to us, the respectful and aware young people they are learning to be is evident at their young ages. We can't wait to experience the magical Kinder year!

Posted November 19, 2009

My daughter, Sabine, entered Chiaravalle as part of the Toddler Full Day program and her success at this school, and the care and enthusiasm of every teacher I've had the pleasure to encounter, makes my eyes well with tears sometimes. She came from a KinderCare where when I picker her up she'd sometimes be pushing a plastic chair around the room to Chiaravalle's robust Montessori program---and what a difference this program made in her life. Just after starting the TFD program, she became more independent---dressing herself (still needed help, obviously), helping me with basic tasks, a whole host of activities. Now, as part of the school's 3 to 6 program, she lights up when she goes to school and is gaining self-confidence and independence every day, it seems. The teachers who guide her day pay attention to her needs while also giving her the space and opportunity to discover herself

Posted October 11, 2009

My child recently started his 4th year at CMS. We have done parent/infant, parent/child, 5 partial day toddler and now he is in the 3-6 program. I can not say enough about not only his development, but my development as a parent. I believe CMS provides a tremendous sense of community for the whole family. As the saying goes 'it takes a village' and Chiaravalle certainly feels like a village to me.

Posted September 16, 2009

The classrooms are great. The school is quiet and focused, with child driven learning. It is an environment that is really special. The community is also very involved, with good caring, diverse families.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• AMS
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (847) 864-2206

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori