No rating

St Bernardine Elementary School

Private | PK-8

Living in Forest Park

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $140,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $950.

Posted April 12, 2012

We love this school so much! We have two children there, and we are thrilled with everything: strong academics, close-knit school community, robust extracurricular offering. The location is great too. And you should hear where our graduates go! St. Ignatius, Trinity, Fenwick, and many other great schools. Definitely worth checking out.

Posted August 11, 2011

My daughter attended the school for two years. I love the family values and friendliness of the staff and parents. We are non-Catholic but the religious orientation was inconsequential because they seemed to all be spiritual people & my daughter was influenced positively by that environment. However, there are very little resources at this school. No Smart boards & only two computers in the class. The math book was convoluted & confusing and there is no tutoring for students who need it - outside if Fenwick & Trinity HS kids coming late in the year. I do not think the teacher knew how to access the individual talents and potential of her students. My daughter was a 5th grader who did get one on one time w the teacher, but that was only once a week for 15-20 minutes! We are moving to Oak Park and hopefully there won't be a one-size fits all approach to education there. My daughter made life-long friends but that was just not enough in this competitive world.

Posted July 15, 2011

This is an outstanding school for our 2 daughters. We are not Catholic, but the teachers and curriculum are outstanding. At first, I was disappointed that there was weekly mass, but now I understand how important it is to the school. I was worried about my girls fitting in, but everyone has been wonderful and friendly. 2010 - 2011 was our first year and I am thrilled we made the switch from the public schools. Great school, great atmosphere

Posted June 21, 2011

s. Bernardine is a diverse, catholic elementary school from 3 years old through 8th grade, with before and after scholl care. St. Bernardine promotes acedemic excellence, integrity and social justice through creative initiatives that allow students opportunities for learning and critical thinking. Thank you St. Bernardine!

Posted May 16, 2011

Strengths: Diverse student body. School elected to enter program w/ Arch of Chgo. to better compete in:enrollment, curriculum dlvp, infra-structure improvements, tech., service proj., financial stability & scholar-ships.Core group: parents, staff, parish working together enthusias- tically to make St. B's a premiere school. Active PA offers many kid/ family events throughout the yr. Weaknesses: Low enrollment, low wages & high turnover in leadership over the past decade will make it difficult to recruit & retain highly skilled teachers. Award winning read- ing program in lower grades. Other grades curriculum& teaching methods avg. My child is in 5th grade & over the past 30+ wks has not received even 15 min of individualized instruction from the teacher. Size of class: 11. Enough said. Disconnect between parish& school.Too few parish kids attend St. B's.Too few non-cath school families and/or teachers support parish/school events. New pastor(2 yrs) improved quality & appearance of mass. Seems less interested in spirtual lives of non-cath students in class. Friendly school. Core group volunteers-parents/staff/parish AMAZING.Overall little parent support.Dedicated principal.

Posted February 2, 2010

We love Saint Bernardine in Forest Park. Our daugther is getting a great education and a Catholic upbrining in a diverse school environment. I would recomment all Catholic parents to send their child to St. Bernardine.

Posted November 13, 2009

This is our 3rd year at St.B's and we couldn't be happier with our choice. We originally came for the all day 3/4 yr old program with intention of leaving once our son entered kindergarten . . . I would never do that now after seeing the quality education and all the extras that my kids are receiving at St.B's. The faculty is focused and dedicated to each child, the curriculum is solid including the addition of a renowned reading program and the overall community is supportive at the school. I would encourage people to check it out!

Posted September 22, 2009

This will be our 2nd year at St. B's. We have one child in 1st grade and another in the Jr. Kindergarten program. Can't say enough good things about this school! The children are friendly, teachers and curriculum are excellent, students and faculty are ethnically diverse, class sizes are small, and tuition is quite reasonable for a Chicago area private school! We have always felt very welcome and parent participation/volunteering is most appreciated. The school and parish have both a new Principal as well as a new Priest. Both of these gentlemen are very genuinely interested and involved with the students on a daily basis and seem very kind and personable. This school is exactly what my husband and I were searching for when choosing a school for our four young children. Next year, our 3rd child will start at St. B's and we couldn't be happier!

Posted August 10, 2009

St B's is an outstanding school. It is small and the teachers know all the kids. The new principal is wonderful and my kids are receiving an outstanding education.

Posted May 17, 2007

Great School. My son transferred from public school for eigth grade year and was welcomed by both students and faculty like family. He has enjoyed making new friends, playing soccer, acting in the wonderful spring musical, participating in the celebration of the Holy Mass, etc. If you are considering an alternative to public education, you can't go wrong.

Posted August 27, 2006

The most thing that the teacher care about is religion. Religion is very important, but it seemed that was all we talked about it and that was all the teachers could really teacher. I was very very happy to be removed from that school but they did damage to my learn ablites. I was behind alot from the others students in my classes. I didn't really get anything. I would never tell anyone to go to this school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 31, 2006

St. Bernardine has provided my children with a very sound academic foundation. It has a strong Catholic identity, but shows respect for other faiths. Most of the teachers are excellent and make up for the couple of teachers that I feel are not as qualified as they should be. Music and art are excellent, but the gym program is seriously lacking. There are extacurricular sports and strong parent involvement. The current principal Larry White, genuinely cares about the children and discipline really isn't a problem. One of the best things is the diversity of the student population. My children have grown up with children who are Irish, Polish, African American, Italian, Philippine, Chinese, Indian, Peruvian, Creole, Guatemalan and Mexican. They share their cultures with each other and it is truly a beautiful thing.

Posted January 24, 2006

I like St. Bernadines School, the school is diverse with a Catholic background, and what parent wouldn't want that from their child. However, there isn't a gym and the kids only have gym once a week. I think kids these days should have gym at least 2x's a week.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 12, 2005

I've been going to St. Bernardine for 4 years now and i LOVE IT! i think that my school probvides good learning experences and we have GREAT extracurricular activitesthey make it FUN for us! the parent's are involved 100%! they are there no matter what
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 27, 2004

My son has been a student at St. B's for the past seven years. Our overall experience has been good. This year we have a few new teachers & a new principal. It's a little soon to rate. So I will update at a later date. So far so good.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Ms. Veronica A Skelton Cash
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

815 Elgin Avenue