Grant Community High School

Public | 9-12 | 1820 students

Posted September 12, 2014

It is a great school and I love many of the teachers attended Grant. They loved it so much and chose to teach there. I like that they offer so many ap and honors classes.

Posted September 9, 2013

The honor classes at this school are geared towards prepping students for college. The teachers are implementing many new tools for students to excel such as full day access to math/science tutoring labs and encouraging technology use in all classes. This school is what you make of it. You can goof around or you can take full advantage of the helping hands preparing you for higher education opportunities. Extending the school day starting in '13-'14 is a bonus.

Posted August 6, 2013

My son has excelled at Grant. I have been more than pleased with all of his teachers. They offer many honors classes that have appropriately challenged my son.

Posted October 19, 2009

This school is great. My child didn't tell us about his experiences until he came to this school. I credit his new found maturity and the teachers here for getting him out of his shell.

Posted October 7, 2009

This school is not challeneging at all and does not push the students enough.

Posted July 6, 2009

The curriculum at this school is unacceptable. There are not many extra-curricular activities. The academic level is way below average and it just isn't a great school.

Posted November 13, 2008

This is not a good school. The teachers and staff do not seem in touch with parents and studants

Posted October 13, 2008

Grant was an awesome experience and basically it was the most rewarding experience. The majority of the staff members are incredible and caring. I was more than well prepared for my college experience at a leading Big 12 school.

Posted July 14, 2008

I went to this school and I was a really good experience. The staff is more than willing to help with any problems, and the Superintendent is very involved with the High School. Most of the teachers I had have left a lasting postivie impression on me.

Posted July 14, 2008

Coming from a parent's point of view, I feel that Grant High School is a great school to send your children. I have noticed that the Staff is very supportive and shows up to a lot of extra curricular activities. Also, I think that the parents who are writing saying that their children are not getting a good education need to look at how they are interacting with their children. It is time that the parents take responsibily for their students' actions and stop putting the blame on faculty and staff. I find it ironic that we have such bright students in our school, yet the parents are the opposite. Thankfully, children our are future.

Posted February 10, 2008

Grant High School is the best high school. And so does the community! If no one in the area did not like our school why would they pass a 38.5 million doller project. And there is a lot of students who are moving to our school district and like it. I'm a sophomore at grant and all of the teachers and falculty are nice. But if you did something wrong the deans will help the student.

Posted August 8, 2007

I've had 4 nieces and nephews graduate from Grant. 3 went on to college, 2 with scholarships. 4th went on to a trade school. All have become successful young adults. My son is in the freshmen class this year and has already completed a summer course. He did well and liked it very much. He's also excited about access to the math lab. He's also signed up and active already in athletics and is thinking about the drama club. Teachers and staff so far have been nothing but supportive. Nothing but blue skies from what I can see.

Posted June 14, 2007

Overall, many students of this school are quite apathetic and do not appear to show much enthusiasm in their work. As well as that, the Performing Arts Society is too underdeveloped and relatively small for my taste.

Posted August 26, 2006

I go to Grant and I like it a lot. Class rooms are not over crowded at all. Every teache I have had in the past 4 years are awesome.If I had a problem with a teacher its because of my actions. Every teacher took you in as their own kid. They would se you in the hall and say hello or stop to talk. If you ever need help us students can go in to their class early for help. Oh n we just got a new library and its awesome! We even have a math lab that we can go to . Plus I'm a really big jock. OUr sports are phenomenal and our coaches are amazing.

Posted February 18, 2006

This school is fantastic. The teachers are very involved with helping us but they aren't push overs and know how to make us want to learn.

Posted January 5, 2006

This school seems more interested in controlling the students then encouraging and helping them. Deans that yell in the faces of students and exhibit behavior that escalates situations rather than defusing them. The teachers for the most part seem ok and the counslers and social workers are the best part of the staff. My child was never a great student but is now refusing to return to the school.

Posted February 25, 2005

The administration and faculty at Grant are very adamant about the fact that the only valid opinion to any situation is their own. They fail to recognize that what works well for some adolescents does not work for others. If your child has a learning disability or other problems there are actually staff members that will seek them out in order to antagonize and cause confrontations. This I have seen with my own eyes.It's very difficult to have conversations with certain members of the administration and faculty that offer alternatives to thier way of thinking. After all, they are gods in thier own eyes. Now, there are some very good and very caring teachers, but unfortunately the good is undone by the lack of concern put forth by the egos of those in control. I always thought that the parents and teachers were supposed to work together. Not here.

Posted February 20, 2005

grant school is the worse school i have ever seen in my life.most of the teachers dont even care.they cant teach any learning disabled child at all.all this school cares about is sports.why do you think they are on the news.i have had 4 kids in this school.they tell one child not to do some thing but let others get away with every thing.my kids where A,B AND SOME CS.AND LOVED SCHOOL.until they came to this school.my kids did great in lindenhurst schools.if your moving to this school area ,DONT.

Posted December 2, 2004

A child doing poor on a school report card, is not just the schools fault but the individual as well. I think the curriculum is adequate, however I belive school related activities and extra curriculars offered is very poor. There needs to be a greater sense of schooll unity. I do belive most teachers there are good teachers, and many highly educated. Many, with the right ambitions can highly succeed as seen in the past, including many doctors, teachers, and other successful career persons have come out of Grant. All it takes is motivation from parents and the willingsness to use the resources the school offer which include tutoring and guidance.

Posted November 20, 2004

We move into the area 3 years ago. We are very disappointed about the school report card for Grant High School. Could you please tell me what is the board doing to improve the over all stats. I am hopeful that the board will respond.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Not low income65%
Students with disabilities (IEP)16%
Students without disabilities62%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

87.8%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 4%

• Dr. John Barbini

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

285 East Grand Avenue