Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I'm a graduate of the Class of '01, so my experience is a little dated. However, GBHS was an excellent school. I graduated with almost 60 college credits completed. My extracurricular activities were great and the teachers were devoted and approachable.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The teachers at GBS give way too much homework and most of it is busywork.

I have not had a very good experience at this school. A lot of the students at this school are very disrespectful. Also, there is a huge gap between honors and regular kids. The honors teachers at this school are okay but the teachers that teach regular classes are no that good. The Drivers Ed teachers and English teachers at this school are not good at all. There is also a lot of bullying that goes on at this school, especially in freshman year. I would also not recommend anyone to transfer to this high school in junior or senior year because you will have a very hard time making friends. Most of the people at this school are very unsocial. I feel like the student body is just horrible at the school. Also, I feel like the staff at GBS does not discipline trouble makers very. I have some classes with some troublemakers and they always disrupt the class and are disrespectful and the teachers do not do anything. The only good thing about this school is that most teachers let us use our phones in class. Thats about it. I would recommend Willowbrook over GBS and the homes near Willowbrok are cheaper.

Do not listen to parents describe what a school is like. They get the propoganda that is fed to them by the school. Take it from an actual student, this place is no where near as top notch as they like to think. Pathetic sports with overly demanding coaches, administration that cares about their bottom line more than the well being of the students, security guards picked straight out of the nursing home, food that prisoners at dupage county jail eat (literally, same company provides for both institutions) watered down academics because "every kid is an honors kid" and teachers that are overpayed in proportion to how much they actually do. Not to mention the pure wastefulness of the funds. There is a smart board in nearly every classroom, over $5000 a pop. And you know what the teachers do with them? Pull down the projector screens in front of them because they are so buggy and inefficient that it's better to just use handouts and projector screens. This is a miserable place to be and nobody should be fooled by the smoke and mirrors the administration puts up. I hated every second of my experience at glenbard south.

I am an alum from around 2007-2010 grad year (prefer to stay anonymous). Honestly, this school is a small school so therefore it is what you make it. If you are a motivated student who wants to do well and wants to get along with teachers and hang out with the right people you will do well. That's why I am currently doing very well in the real world. However, if you have some needs beyond being self motivated (not that you are a bad kid) then this might not be for you. Not all kids are mature enough to be able to do this. As the community around this area is relatively well off, there are certain limitations with that, but there are certain benefits. I enjoyed high school overall (although I seriously disliked some teachers and some aspects, but who doesn't?). As far as public schools go this is a great one. Also, security is minimal because it doesn't need to be better. Its a great area and there is a certain trust with students and teachers. Lastly, I agree with the person who discussed the separation between honors and regular. Honors students are regarded above the "regular" kids, which creates an environment in which high performers are rewarded (AKA just like the real world).

Small class sizes, experienced teaching and admin staff, caring community and family friendly, safe environment.

My daughter didn't like it much there, staff wasn't friendly at all, had a horrible experience with this school

I have the distinct honor of being a Glenbard South alumni as well as a parent. As a product of this small but proud school, I was thrilled to be able to find a home in the area so my sons could have that same opportunity. Smaller class sizes offer more one on one teaching if necessary and tons of AP class options. Excellent teachers, a caring and involved principal, along with a challenging academic program is what makes Glenbard South such a fantastic school! I honestly don't believe my son would've been able to get an academic scholarship to the University of Illinois without having the benefits of academic rigor this school instilled in him.

I teach there, and I think the students, staff and community are fantastic!

Pros: Stellar academics (particularly for honors/AP track), active extracurriculars, flexible course choice, personal attention due to small size Cons: Athletics are lackluster, somewhat cliquish, honors and regular kids divided socially, administration considers students' views little when making decisions. Overall, it's a good school. I'm glad I went here.

Last modified Glenbard South High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.