Glenbrook South High School

Public | 9-12

Posted April 4, 2014

Glenbrook South is an EXCELLENT high school. There's so many clubs and sports to get involved in and also many classes to choose from. Any career you have an interest in pursuing, Glenbrook South most likely has it! The teachers and all staff are super kind and always helpful. All of the staff want the students to be successful, but this doesn't stop the school from requiring rigorous courses, which will help in college. One thing I love is the TLC which have teacher and student tutors to help students in whatever subject (going there for essays for college was extremely helpful). The students are welcoming and there's a place for everyone at this school. Truly an excellent school. Yay, Class of 2014!

Posted November 17, 2010

I went through the basic classes and took only a few honors classes throughout my time at this school, and I felt that there was a lot of opportunities for personal and educational growth for anybody that applied themselves to the core curriculum or extra curricular, after school activities. In retrospect, the three main issues I have with my experience at GBS are that the school at times ran itself in a very totalitarian way, I rarely saw school administrators (this excludes teacher faculty) push for the growth among students belonging to lower class families, and an inability to successfully promote mutual respect and courtesy among social and cultural classes. Still, I rate this school as above average, as it prepared me well for college, and was inspired by more than half a dozen teachers. Special mentions go out to Mr. Hussman and Mr. Benjamin of the social studies department.

Posted April 5, 2010

I am a freshman parent and have been wonderfully surprised at GBS. They have many levels of learning at GBS and my child has really improved and loves the school! The sports and performing arts seem to play a major part that my child absolutely loves!

Posted June 19, 2009

GBS has something for everyone, no matter your child's passion. There is such a wide range of programs. I had a child in the honors programs and another in the regular program and both have been challenged and prepared at their level. The administration is top notch and demonstrate true caring for ALL students. They go out of their way to make sure students stay in school and feel safe, accepted, and recognized. They can attract and retain very capable and talented teachers

Posted March 1, 2009

As a former student, I can say without a doubt GBS was an awful school. As others have mentioned, you have to have a great deal of 'school spirit' or else you are NOT accepted. GBS is overlly demanding, overbearing, and had too many BS rules even though the education was decent. All the garbage that many students are put through takes away from the education. Steer clear of GBS if you are anything other than rich, popular and capable of reaching high-honors

Posted November 7, 2008

My elder son is in his first semester at college (a top engineering school) and told us after a few weeks, 'This is the easiest semester I've had since sixth grade.' He (and we) feel that GBS was the best preparation he could have gotten for a rigorous college program. GBS hits a sweet spot for academic excellence, extracurricular opportunity, and diversity

Posted March 31, 2008

I love this school! I am currently in my first year of college and I have to say, 'Great Job GBS!' I was over prepared for college when I arrived. I noticed right away how much GBS equipped me for college after I took a language placement test and based on the results I was placed in one of the more advanced courses. Honestly, I believe that the other parent who ranked GBS with 2 stars is overexaggerating. Compared to many high schools, GBS is the best I've encountered. I don't regret a moment I spent there.

Posted July 22, 2007

I just graduated and am heading off to college. Glenbrook South did a great job in preparing me for college courses. Already I see differences between the way I'm prepared and the way other freshmen entering my college are prepared. I don't know what this other parent is talking about. I don't go to the football games and no one cares. I don't have a whole lot of school spirit (although I do like the school) and I'm not ridiculed. I was in a couple of honors classes during junior year and two APs during senior year. I still had fun freshman and sophomore year so I don't know why they are complaining. The rules can sometimes be a bit extreme, but I dealt with them and in return I got a great education. The students are relaxed (the upperclassmen more so). I don't see kids picking on others often (if ever).

Posted June 25, 2007

If your child is going to be placed than anything other than honors classes, good luck. If you dont like football, this is not the school for you. If you dont show an amazing amount of school spirit, you will be ridiculed. The school has a large amount of rules that can make it feel more like punishment to be there than an enjoyable learning experience. If you have a kid in honors classes maybe he/she will like it.

Posted May 23, 2007

GBS is the best thing that ever happened to my daughter. This school and its faculty really care about their students and it shows.

Posted February 18, 2007

GBS is a great school which offers the best selection of AP classes in the entire north shore area. GBS also offers a diverse student body and many after school activities.

Posted November 22, 2006

This school is very good. There are services and programs for any kind of kid. The teachers are great. There are a ton of clubs. there are also alot of sports teams for you sporty people out there. The people work with you.

Posted April 25, 2006

Glenbrook South prepared me to become a successful college student. Though challenging academic programs and teachers that wanted to support their students, I felt that my education at GBS helped me to be ahead of much of my class in college. So many GBS students will not see how wonderful their education was until they have left the school and begin to see how other students were not as fortunate in their high school education.

Posted April 10, 2006

The academic environment is very broad. There are some good teachers and there are teachers who are poor. It seems that the situation will remain that way. There is not a dress code which creates a very 'loose' environment.

Posted March 26, 2006

The quality of this facility is outstanding and very supportive. The theatre program is highly respected and known through out the area. The athletic department is very organized and supportive of academic achievement. The level of parent involvement is extremely high and always bountiful. I would recomend this school to anyone.

Posted February 17, 2006

My son is a freshman. Regular classes, not the honored ones. The programs are just right. Some fieldtrips are a good compliment. The students are not encouraged enough to take part in after school clubs and sport activities. Parents are informed about the progress report and teachers always give prompt replies. Overall exprerience is very positive.

Posted October 18, 2005

Demanding academics from a talented teaching staff. Multiple opportunities for student involvement. Excellent fine arts opportunities. Highly college prep with 90% of students going on to college. Excellent facilities. One of the best high schools in the United States

Posted April 28, 2004

GBS is a wonderful school in a safe, friendly and accepting community.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Students with disabilities (IEP)41%
Students without disabilities82%
English language learners17%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

97.1%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 19% 4%

• Dr. Brian Wegley

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4000 West Lake Avenue