Glenview, IL
Students enrolled: 2,636

Glenbrook South High School 4

Posted April 24, 2015
I love this school its great it has great students and teachers i would recommend this school.

Posted April 04, 2014
Glenbrook South is an EXCELLENT high school. There's so many clubs and sports to get involved in and also many classes to choose from. Any career you have an interest in pursuing, Glenbrook South most likely has it! The teachers and all staff are super kind and always helpful. All of the staff want the students to be successful, but this doesn't stop the school from requiring rigorous courses, which will help in college. One thing I love is the TLC which have teacher and student tutors to help students in whatever subject (going there for essays for college was extremely helpful). The students are welcoming and there's a place for everyone at this school. Truly an excellent school. Yay, Class of 2014!

Glenbrook South High School 4

Posted November 17, 2010
I went through the basic classes and took only a few honors classes throughout my time at this school, and I felt that there was a lot of opportunities for personal and educational growth for anybody that applied themselves to the core curriculum or extra curricular, after school activities. In retrospect, the three main issues I have with my experience at GBS are that the school at times ran itself in a very totalitarian way, I rarely saw school administrators (this excludes teacher faculty) push for the growth among students belonging to lower class families, and an inability to successfully promote mutual respect and courtesy among social and cultural classes. Still, I rate this school as above average, as it prepared me well for college, and was inspired by more than half a dozen teachers. Special mentions go out to Mr. Hussman and Mr. Benjamin of the social studies department.

Posted April 05, 2010
I am a freshman parent and have been wonderfully surprised at GBS. They have many levels of learning at GBS and my child has really improved and loves the school! The sports and performing arts seem to play a major part that my child absolutely loves!

Posted June 19, 2009
GBS has something for everyone, no matter your child's passion. There is such a wide range of programs. I had a child in the honors programs and another in the regular program and both have been challenged and prepared at their level. The administration is top notch and demonstrate true caring for ALL students. They go out of their way to make sure students stay in school and feel safe, accepted, and recognized. They can attract and retain very capable and talented teachers

Posted March 01, 2009
As a former student, I can say without a doubt GBS was an awful school. As others have mentioned, you have to have a great deal of 'school spirit' or else you are NOT accepted. GBS is overlly demanding, overbearing, and had too many BS rules even though the education was decent. All the garbage that many students are put through takes away from the education. Steer clear of GBS if you are anything other than rich, popular and capable of reaching high-honors

Posted November 07, 2008
My elder son is in his first semester at college (a top engineering school) and told us after a few weeks, 'This is the easiest semester I've had since sixth grade.' He (and we) feel that GBS was the best preparation he could have gotten for a rigorous college program. GBS hits a sweet spot for academic excellence, extracurricular opportunity, and diversity

Posted March 31, 2008
I love this school! I am currently in my first year of college and I have to say, 'Great Job GBS!' I was over prepared for college when I arrived. I noticed right away how much GBS equipped me for college after I took a language placement test and based on the results I was placed in one of the more advanced courses. Honestly, I believe that the other parent who ranked GBS with 2 stars is overexaggerating. Compared to many high schools, GBS is the best I've encountered. I don't regret a moment I spent there.

Posted July 22, 2007
I just graduated and am heading off to college. Glenbrook South did a great job in preparing me for college courses. Already I see differences between the way I'm prepared and the way other freshmen entering my college are prepared. I don't know what this other parent is talking about. I don't go to the football games and no one cares. I don't have a whole lot of school spirit (although I do like the school) and I'm not ridiculed. I was in a couple of honors classes during junior year and two APs during senior year. I still had fun freshman and sophomore year so I don't know why they are complaining. The rules can sometimes be a bit extreme, but I dealt with them and in return I got a great education. The students are relaxed (the upperclassmen more so). I don't see kids picking on others often (if ever).

Glenbrook South High School 2

Posted June 25, 2007
If your child is going to be placed than anything other than honors classes, good luck. If you dont like football, this is not the school for you. If you dont show an amazing amount of school spirit, you will be ridiculed. The school has a large amount of rules that can make it feel more like punishment to be there than an enjoyable learning experience. If you have a kid in honors classes maybe he/she will like it.

4000 West Lake Avenue, Glenview, IL  60026
Last modified Glenbrook South High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Glenbrook South High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top