Forrestal Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 407 students

Posted May 20, 2014

I am a parent of one former student of Forrestal . I love this school and the teachers and the Principal Ms Brooks. The principal is outstanding as we'll and provides great leadership to the school. My daughter had great teachers for kindergarten Ms Hardy and Ms May. Get involved,and work with your child teacher and your child.

Posted April 5, 2014

I am a parent of one former student of Forrestal. Based on the school rating and reviews, I was hesitant to send my son to the school. However, I couldn't have been more wrong! My son had great teachers for kindergarten and first grade (both Ms. T's), and he was taught a curriculum above grade level. The key is to make sure your child is well prepared for the school year. Large class sizes and low resources make it difficult for children to keep up if they are not already familiar with the material. My son now attends the charter school along with another former classmate, and they are the top students in the class. Do not leave everything up to the school. Get involved, and work with your child in addition to the classroom instruction.

Posted December 16, 2013

Look elsewhere for housing! Forrestal Elementary School is a horrible place to send your children! We arrived at Thanksgiving and were immediately told that there was no room for our daughter to attend Kindergarten, there was no waiting list and that I needed to contact them periodically to see if a spot had opened up. Extremely unhelpful and unprofessional! She attended 1st Grade and the first 3 months of 2nd. We had enough of the school and the area and chose to move up to Kenosha (highly recommended) in order to find a better school. My only regret was that we didn't move earlier! The Navy is failing all of it's families that get stationed at Great Lakes. Having this school as part of the Housing Area is unacceptable! I hope for the sake of our Military community, this gets brought to the attention of someone that can do something to change this!

Posted November 5, 2013

Getting better... Wish they didn't change the schedule to start school so early, but that seemed to be a choice from the district not principal. As well as the cut backs to music and other programs - its district and their budget issues. And now with their garbage of wanting to split the school which would make my child go to a school that's a lot worse! It's the district that has a lot of issues!!! As far the 2013-2014 school year for Forrestal - I've noticed improvement. I think a lot of it has to do with both the teacher and the parent involvement though. Last year I was there often, became familiar with the staff. It helped us become more comfortable with the school, esp. since my kid didn't want to go. I wasn't too pleased last year with a few things, academical level was too low for my child, and few issues that came up that I felt was ignored, but eventually corrected. It was a struggle to get my child to want to go. This year however, my child has some great teachers this year. Kid is finally enjoying school this year - except for the 7:50 tardies. (Not looking forward to how bad that will be with snow - but that's a different issue!) Next year - will see what happens!!

Posted August 5, 2013

I just moved to the area and I have to say this is very disappointing to hear, as well as a Doctor from the hospital telling me I should think elsewhere! I have only seen a handful of wonderful comments, and about a dozen or more negative feed back! I am skeptical about putting my children into a school that is not beneficial to their needs. I hope to find something quick, so that I may not experience the negativity this school brings!

Posted April 20, 2013

I have read through these reviews. We ahve been in Forrestal for the last 3 years, and these are the furthest from the truth. These must be some lazy non participant parents to thing that this school is so bad. I LOVE this school and the teachers and Principal Dr. Brooks. She is the BEST!! If the parents that wrote these reviews took some time to really look into this school, talk to the teachers, they will find what I have. A really great school!!!!

Posted October 17, 2012

This school is the prime example of what you do not want a school to be like. Teachers always yelling and screaming at your children, saying things to put them down. Teachers talking to the kids like they are nothing. Very unprofessional. I do agree with the fact that some of the teachers do have personal conversations in front of the children. This school is failing the test scores are horrible student moral is down. The teachers need to show that they care and they might get better results and attitudes from the children.

Posted August 20, 2012

This school does a disservice to military families who are constantly on the move. We gambled and hoped it was slow paced because it was the beginning of the school year and now we regret it. I have gone through 3 different school districts and this was our 2nd state and it is by far the worst school my son has attended. 1. Office staff are rude, unprofessional 2. curriculum not challenging 3. Homework rarely assigned 4. no constant or formal communication between classroom and home. 5. Principal does not have an open door policy 6. YOU as the parent are not allowed to show up unannounced to your child's classroom. You have to call in advance and make arrangements. Lastly, the school supply list is a mile long and by the end of the year hardly any of it was used. To top it off his workbooks from the school year were hardly used. IF you can afford private school do it. We are in a new state, and a new school that has a challenging curriculum and our son is terribly behind. The teachers are nice however, nice does not cut it.

Posted July 22, 2012

The staff in the front office are the most unorganized and unprofessional group of people that I have ever seen!! They never smile very unhelpful They will just keep having a personal conversation while you are standing right in front of them waiting to be even acknowledged. They have this uncaring attitude about you as the parent, and your child. Some of the teachers their are EXCELLENT I have to say they love and care about their students and I like them very much!! PLEASE hire new staff for the front office, ESPECIALLY the secretary her attitude shows that she really dosent care, and she never smiles at you or even acknowledge that you are standing thier, the other lady attitude is better then her's, she does smile and she is nice.

Posted June 13, 2012

Military families....... Think before you move into "housing" first of all it is not military housing because anyone can live here. The schools from elementary to high school is horrible your kids will be behind in everything and the personnel are very unprofessional. Just be warned when you move here there are better places to live in so please do you research!!!!

Posted May 5, 2012

This school is fabulous, my children and I absolutely love it! I had two daughters who attended Forrestal in grades 3-4 and 1-2. The principal is outstanding as well and provides great leadership to the school!

Posted March 16, 2012

ATTENTION ANY MILITARY FAMILIES MOVING TO GREAT LAKES: Do not send your kids to this school! It is absolutely horrible!! Move to Gurnee or Libertyville. You will not be sorry.

Posted November 3, 2011

Dear principle...look at all the NEGATIVE reviews for your school. This should be a WAKE UP CALL to you. How sad and pathetic that our service members have to send their children to this terrible school. You should be ashamed and embarrassed. Fix your school NOW. In my opinion, you should be fired if you can't get it together.

Posted November 3, 2011

First off the person who gave this school 4 stars 2 years ago must be staff and not a parent because I don't know one parent who would give this school more then 2 stars and the only reason I gave it one is because I can't give it negative stars. My son is in first grade this year and when he was in Kindergarten here his teacher was great. I hope to get her for my daughter next year. His 1st grade teacher however is HORRIBLE!!!! She has not patience for the kids and singles kids out and never lets them explain themselves. My son never had a problem in K and I have a hard time believing he is such a problem now and that all her students are "horrible kids." I am worried that when we leave here my kids are going to lack basic skills so I work with them at home so they are caught up. If we ever has the misfortune of coming here again I will home school my kids or take on 2 jobs to pay for private school. NEVER again will I allow one of my children to go to this sorry excuse for a school.

Posted March 17, 2011

This school has so many issues its not even funny. FOr parents like me that are hands on, you would think that the teachers would love that. Some don't I guess that's because they don't want us as parents to see that they aren't teaching our kids anything. Nor are they doing their jobs as letting the parents know that their kids have a learning disability. But when you bring it to their attention you get this "We as teachers are not suppose to say anything to the parents on that matter. " This school sucks and this is our last year praise god.

Posted March 4, 2011

Lets just put it this way. This School is SO BAD we are separatiing from my husband for his last year here and I am moving back to Jacksonville fl where we own a house and they can get back into a A rated school where the teachers enjoy there job not dread it.. I feel for some of the teachers at forrestal because there are few that are truly awesome and there are some that need to retire. It is sad that my kids have to leave there dad to get the education that they deserve.

Posted October 30, 2010

I went to school here in the 70s and it is sad to see that nothing has changed. My father was in the Navy. We were transferred to Groton, Conn. I had to be moved back a grade because I was behind compared to the students there.

Posted May 28, 2010

I am a military spouse and we had almost no other options here in Great Lakes for schools. North Chicago schools are even worse than Forrestal. We have been here for 3 years and every year we have problems with teachers not caring, silly rules that have nothing to do with education and a general all around bad attitudes from the staff (not to mention bullies). It is hard to get into this school for military because it is in military housing but not DOD so civilians have filled the schools up hoping to stay away from the far worse schools in the area. Honestly, your best bet if your coming to the area would be to try to get into Lake Forrest schools or just go for private schools if you can afford the tuition. (just remember that there is hardly any bus service)

Posted December 9, 2009

My family moved here from Northern Virginia and went to one of the best in the state. We came to this school and were VERY disappointed. Teachers yelling at children, disorganization, and teacher child ratio is horrible. I now homeschool my child and will till we leave Great Lakes.

Posted August 25, 2009

I have to agree with the lack of organization, my son started kindergarten yesterday as well and until I went into the office and personally asked to see it. Thankfully my sons teacher, Mrs Hardy seems to be a great teacher. I have volunteered to be a room mom, so I think that will allow me to be more involved and know what is going on. Its only the second day and my son is really enjoying himself. One of the other complaints I have is what seems to be a lack of supervision. I walked up early today to find some of the older kids (maybe 4th grade?) playing outside without a teacher. Also when the kids were being sent out of their classroom to get their backpacks, there was no one to make sure they went back into their classroom. So there were random kindergartners wandering the halls.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 4 and 7 in science. The ISAT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

In 2013 the Illinois State Board of Education raised the performance expectations for the ISAT in reading and math. These expectations have been adjusted to better align with the Common Core State Standards, a multi-state initiative that established year-by-year guidelines outlining the grade-specific skills and content students need to stay on the path to college and career readiness. The higher expectations of the new standards will result in a downward shift of where students rank in meeting or exceeding standards.

Math

The state average for Math was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 81% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

All Students36%

Students with disabilities (IEP)9%
Students without disabilities57%
English language learners29%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students40%

Low income38%
Not low income62%
Students without disabilities53%

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 value table growth scores from the state of Illinois.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 4%

• Cassandra Brooks

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2833 Washington Avenue