Forrestal Elementary School 5

Posted May 20, 2014
I am a parent of one former student of Forrestal . I love this school and the teachers and the Principal Ms Brooks. The principal is outstanding as we'll and provides great leadership to the school. My daughter had great teachers for kindergarten Ms Hardy and Ms May. Get involved,and work with your child teacher and your child.

Forrestal Elementary School 4

Posted April 05, 2014
I am a parent of one former student of Forrestal. Based on the school rating and reviews, I was hesitant to send my son to the school. However, I couldn't have been more wrong! My son had great teachers for kindergarten and first grade (both Ms. T's), and he was taught a curriculum above grade level. The key is to make sure your child is well prepared for the school year. Large class sizes and low resources make it difficult for children to keep up if they are not already familiar with the material. My son now attends the charter school along with another former classmate, and they are the top students in the class. Do not leave everything up to the school. Get involved, and work with your child in addition to the classroom instruction.

Posted December 16, 2013
Look elsewhere for housing! Forrestal Elementary School is a horrible place to send your children! We arrived at Thanksgiving and were immediately told that there was no room for our daughter to attend Kindergarten, there was no waiting list and that I needed to contact them periodically to see if a spot had opened up. Extremely unhelpful and unprofessional! She attended 1st Grade and the first 3 months of 2nd. We had enough of the school and the area and chose to move up to Kenosha (highly recommended) in order to find a better school. My only regret was that we didn't move earlier! The Navy is failing all of it's families that get stationed at Great Lakes. Having this school as part of the Housing Area is unacceptable! I hope for the sake of our Military community, this gets brought to the attention of someone that can do something to change this!

Forrestal Elementary School 4

Posted November 05, 2013
Getting better... Wish they didn't change the schedule to start school so early, but that seemed to be a choice from the district not principal. As well as the cut backs to music and other programs - its district and their budget issues. And now with their garbage of wanting to split the school which would make my child go to a school that's a lot worse! It's the district that has a lot of issues!!! As far the 2013-2014 school year for Forrestal - I've noticed improvement. I think a lot of it has to do with both the teacher and the parent involvement though. Last year I was there often, became familiar with the staff. It helped us become more comfortable with the school, esp. since my kid didn't want to go. I wasn't too pleased last year with a few things, academical level was too low for my child, and few issues that came up that I felt was ignored, but eventually corrected. It was a struggle to get my child to want to go. This year however, my child has some great teachers this year. Kid is finally enjoying school this year - except for the 7:50 tardies. (Not looking forward to how bad that will be with snow - but that's a different issue!) Next year - will see what happens!!

Posted August 05, 2013
I just moved to the area and I have to say this is very disappointing to hear, as well as a Doctor from the hospital telling me I should think elsewhere! I have only seen a handful of wonderful comments, and about a dozen or more negative feed back! I am skeptical about putting my children into a school that is not beneficial to their needs. I hope to find something quick, so that I may not experience the negativity this school brings!

Forrestal Elementary School 5

Posted April 20, 2013
I have read through these reviews. We ahve been in Forrestal for the last 3 years, and these are the furthest from the truth. These must be some lazy non participant parents to thing that this school is so bad. I LOVE this school and the teachers and Principal Dr. Brooks. She is the BEST!! If the parents that wrote these reviews took some time to really look into this school, talk to the teachers, they will find what I have. A really great school!!!!

Posted October 17, 2012
This school is the prime example of what you do not want a school to be like. Teachers always yelling and screaming at your children, saying things to put them down. Teachers talking to the kids like they are nothing. Very unprofessional. I do agree with the fact that some of the teachers do have personal conversations in front of the children. This school is failing the test scores are horrible student moral is down. The teachers need to show that they care and they might get better results and attitudes from the children.

Posted August 20, 2012
This school does a disservice to military families who are constantly on the move. We gambled and hoped it was slow paced because it was the beginning of the school year and now we regret it. I have gone through 3 different school districts and this was our 2nd state and it is by far the worst school my son has attended. 1. Office staff are rude, unprofessional 2. curriculum not challenging 3. Homework rarely assigned 4. no constant or formal communication between classroom and home. 5. Principal does not have an open door policy 6. YOU as the parent are not allowed to show up unannounced to your child's classroom. You have to call in advance and make arrangements. Lastly, the school supply list is a mile long and by the end of the year hardly any of it was used. To top it off his workbooks from the school year were hardly used. IF you can afford private school do it. We are in a new state, and a new school that has a challenging curriculum and our son is terribly behind. The teachers are nice however, nice does not cut it.

Posted July 22, 2012
The staff in the front office are the most unorganized and unprofessional group of people that I have ever seen!! They never smile very unhelpful They will just keep having a personal conversation while you are standing right in front of them waiting to be even acknowledged. They have this uncaring attitude about you as the parent, and your child. Some of the teachers their are EXCELLENT I have to say they love and care about their students and I like them very much!! PLEASE hire new staff for the front office, ESPECIALLY the secretary her attitude shows that she really dosent care, and she never smiles at you or even acknowledge that you are standing thier, the other lady attitude is better then her's, she does smile and she is nice.

Posted June 13, 2012
Military families....... Think before you move into "housing" first of all it is not military housing because anyone can live here. The schools from elementary to high school is horrible your kids will be behind in everything and the personnel are very unprofessional. Just be warned when you move here there are better places to live in so please do you research!!!!

Forrestal Elementary School
2833 Washington Avenue, Great Lakes, IL  60088
Last modified Forrestal Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Forrestal Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 53 reviews. Top