Great Lakes, IL

Forrestal Elementary School
Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted June 16, 2015
Some teachers are nice and do help students some just yell and look unpleasant depends

Forrestal Elementary School 2

Posted June 16, 2015
This place is the worst. Teachers yell at kids, put them down and the worst part is that building has no AC. I don't even know how the teachers can work in those conditions and the poor kids are sweating in the summer. North Chicago has the worst school system in the U.S.

Forrestal Elementary School 2

Posted May 29, 2015
A long time ago I was enrolled to this school for 3 good long years and I say it's a nice school with some terrible teachers. My reading teacher has quite a terrible personality. One time I brought gaming cards to school and showed it to all my friends, one of my friends wouldn't stop asking to borrow one between class, so I quickly took it out and said to choose which one. One kid in my class saw me and told my reading teacher about it. She walk up to me and said to give it to her. I handed it to her and she walk across the room and threw it away. I couldnt do anything then because I didnt know what to do, I was too young to think of anything, I tried to take it back from the trash can but my teacher saw me and threw it away again. As I grow older I found out that it was my property, my OWN money and shouldn't be taken away and to be thrown at. It wasn't hers to begin with. I've thought about sueing the school but I thought I will lose. now I'm here telling that I would not recommend to going this private school. I'm sorry for this long story, but I have to say what's wrong about this school.

Posted February 01, 2015
This is my daughter's second year at this school. She had great experiences there and her teacher for the past 2 years is great. She keeps the parents informed daily via email and my daughter is doing well there. Dr. Brooks, the Principal, is great, personable and professional.

Forrestal Elementary School 5

Posted May 20, 2014
I am a parent of one former student of Forrestal . I love this school and the teachers and the Principal Ms Brooks. The principal is outstanding as we'll and provides great leadership to the school. My daughter had great teachers for kindergarten Ms Hardy and Ms May. Get involved,and work with your child teacher and your child.

Posted April 05, 2014
I am a parent of one former student of Forrestal. Based on the school rating and reviews, I was hesitant to send my son to the school. However, I couldn't have been more wrong! My son had great teachers for kindergarten and first grade (both Ms. T's), and he was taught a curriculum above grade level. The key is to make sure your child is well prepared for the school year. Large class sizes and low resources make it difficult for children to keep up if they are not already familiar with the material. My son now attends the charter school along with another former classmate, and they are the top students in the class. Do not leave everything up to the school. Get involved, and work with your child in addition to the classroom instruction.

Forrestal Elementary School 1

Posted December 16, 2013
Look elsewhere for housing! Forrestal Elementary School is a horrible place to send your children! We arrived at Thanksgiving and were immediately told that there was no room for our daughter to attend Kindergarten, there was no waiting list and that I needed to contact them periodically to see if a spot had opened up. Extremely unhelpful and unprofessional! She attended 1st Grade and the first 3 months of 2nd. We had enough of the school and the area and chose to move up to Kenosha (highly recommended) in order to find a better school. My only regret was that we didn't move earlier! The Navy is failing all of it's families that get stationed at Great Lakes. Having this school as part of the Housing Area is unacceptable! I hope for the sake of our Military community, this gets brought to the attention of someone that can do something to change this!

Posted November 05, 2013
Getting better... Wish they didn't change the schedule to start school so early, but that seemed to be a choice from the district not principal. As well as the cut backs to music and other programs - its district and their budget issues. And now with their garbage of wanting to split the school which would make my child go to a school that's a lot worse! It's the district that has a lot of issues!!! As far the 2013-2014 school year for Forrestal - I've noticed improvement. I think a lot of it has to do with both the teacher and the parent involvement though. Last year I was there often, became familiar with the staff. It helped us become more comfortable with the school, esp. since my kid didn't want to go. I wasn't too pleased last year with a few things, academical level was too low for my child, and few issues that came up that I felt was ignored, but eventually corrected. It was a struggle to get my child to want to go. This year however, my child has some great teachers this year. Kid is finally enjoying school this year - except for the 7:50 tardies. (Not looking forward to how bad that will be with snow - but that's a different issue!) Next year - will see what happens!!

Forrestal Elementary School 1

Posted August 05, 2013
I just moved to the area and I have to say this is very disappointing to hear, as well as a Doctor from the hospital telling me I should think elsewhere! I have only seen a handful of wonderful comments, and about a dozen or more negative feed back! I am skeptical about putting my children into a school that is not beneficial to their needs. I hope to find something quick, so that I may not experience the negativity this school brings!

Forrestal Elementary School 5

Posted April 20, 2013
I have read through these reviews. We ahve been in Forrestal for the last 3 years, and these are the furthest from the truth. These must be some lazy non participant parents to thing that this school is so bad. I LOVE this school and the teachers and Principal Dr. Brooks. She is the BEST!! If the parents that wrote these reviews took some time to really look into this school, talk to the teachers, they will find what I have. A really great school!!!!

Forrestal Elementary School
2833 Washington Avenue, Great Lakes, IL  60088
Last modified Forrestal Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Forrestal Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top