No rating

St Charles Borromeo Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Hampshire

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $179,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Posted July 15, 2013

SCB is an excellent school with a small community feel and a world class education. My kids have attended from preschool. Having come from Chicago, where we had to choose between large class size or tuition, it was a relief to find a school that is high quality, moderately priced and small class size. We initially enrolled our kids and went to church closer to home, but because of the incredible family community of both the school and the parish, we requested to make SCB our home parish. The teachers are excellent and really care about the students. We only came to this school because we were on a wait-list for preschool elsewhere and are so glad we did!

Posted May 7, 2013

St. Charles Borromeo is a school where Jesus lives in the hearts of the priests, present and past, the teachers, staff, parents and children. Our children are gaining a faith based education and nationally they rank academically in the top 10%. This school and Parish and all who attend are a blessing to this community. May the Lord continue to bless us!

Posted April 28, 2013

SCB is truly an amazing school! My children were in public school and had a terrible experience. The public school lacked the ability to help my smart children achieve or come close to their abilities. At SCB they are challenged and cared for by the teachers, principal and staff. My children now average 2-4 grade levels above their peers. I don't know who wrote that August 19, 2012 comment but, I don't know how they were at the same school we've been at for 3 plus years. The teachers are far from elderly (that's down right insulting given their ages), all have masters degrees, and truly love what they do. The atmosphere is far from clich -like. We transferred in and have made wonderful friends - both my children and my spouse and I. I couldn't imagine a better place for my kids to learn. From what I know about the prior principal - a lot of people left BECAUSE of that person and, a lot of people have joined SCB because of the wonderful principal and staff that are there. Keep it up SCB!!! Extra curriculars, technology, core teaching, it's all amazing!

Posted April 9, 2013

We have 4 children attending Saint Charles Borromeo after being in the public school system. We have seen measurable improvement in their scholastic performance in all areas and all four children have marked improvement in self esteem and confidence. We feel very close and connected to the principal, staff and other parents. We are extremely pleased with our experience.

Posted April 4, 2013

SCB is the most AWESOME school! I have had 3 children go through K-8 grade there with my youngest starting there in preschool. I can't say enough about how wonderful the teachers and staff are. My children were totally challenged scholastically with all of my children on the honor roll. I love the devotion to service and how God was taught to be front and center of all they do and achieve. My girls played volleyball there since 4th grade and my son played basketball since 4th grade. It was wonderful to interact with the other schools, in which they met some friends that they were in high school with later. My children went onto Catholic high school and were very ready scholastically for the more difficult honor classes they would take there. I really loved the smaller class sizes and the way all the children knew all the other children in the school due to the fact that they have so much interaction with their older and younger schoolmates. I have volunteered all 15 years my children were in SCB,and I pray that maybe someday I will have grandchildren that attend SCB and maybe I'll be back supporting the school I love so much!

Posted April 3, 2013

As a parent of 6 years at our beloved SCB School, I could not be happier with the fine combination of academics, faith, and family atmosphere at St. Charles Borromeo School. I take GREAT offense at the comment written on August 19, 2012. It is far from factual and obviously someone with an ax to grind. The enrollment in the past 3 years has gone up over 50%, which is because the word is out that it is a very positive place to be. Newspaper articles have been written annually about the great student achievement here, including the school's standardized test scores, and this school ranks nationally in the top 10% in many, many areas. The school is better than ever, class sizes averaging 20 per class, and the staff age ranges from 24 to mid 50's in age (far from "elderly"), most with Master's degrees, and is very caring. They say they want it to be each child's "family away from home", and that family atmosphere can be clearly seen each day. Also have a cutting edge technology program and 3 computer labs for instruction from PreK up through 8th grade.

Posted April 3, 2013

St. Charles Borromeo School is an outstanding choice for education both religiously and academically. The staff is caring and dedicated from principal to staff to volunteers. They work tirelessy to make sure each student reaches his or her potential. I have children who have graduated from the school and were more than prepared for high school challenges. I have children in currently who love the teachers and the school and are benefitting greatly from the experiences. Highly qualified staff, most with master's level degrees in their field. Sign me, Proud to be SCB!

Posted April 3, 2013

My children attend this school & have been with the school since their pre-school years. We were not Catholic when we chose this school; we chose it because of it's excellence in education. The students average test scores are 2 full years above grade level & the children are academically challenged. Over the past few years their has been additional improvements that have made this school an excellent choice for preschool through 8th grade. There are three computer labs that are used daily by our all of our students, accelerated coursework particularly in the areas of math & science, and all of our teachers have Masters degrees. There is a learning environment at this school that is inclusive & fostered by the teachers and the principal. The principle has the respect, love of learning, & the fairness that he shares with his staff. This is a Catholic school, but even if you are not Catholic & you are searching for a school for your child you will be welcomed here by everyone. One of the areas that you will notice when you come to this school is also the politeness of everyone here.There are also a great variety of athletic teams for the students. This really is a special school.

Posted August 19, 2012

At one time this little private school in the country was a gem. A Catholic education for an excellent price, surrounded by the serene landscape of a small Midwest town. Unfortunately a few years ago the parish priest fired the principal and, in protest, about 75% of the students and teachers also left. This left the school in a shambles. Little by little other families pulled their kids out until only a very hardcore group remained. They are very tight clique and not very friendly. Overall the school's atmosphere became suffocating and very conservatively Catholic. The well rounded education they had provided was shaded by extreme religious views. A year ago the priest was removed and replaced, but the majority of teachers that remain, as well as the current principal, are elderly and not suited to working with younger children. I would strongly recommend avoiding fourth grade altogether (!) but if you are considering middle school, fifth and above, this may be a nice alternative to larger junior highs. The pre-school is only adequate and the kindergarten is very established and wonderful but I would recommend a public school for the intermediate grades.

Posted March 7, 2009

St. Charles Borromeo School has provided my three children with an outstanding educational and spiritual experience from preschool all the way through 8th grade. We love the small class sizes and the nurturing atmosphere that has allowed our children to blossom in their own unique ways.

Posted November 21, 2008

Both my daughter and son went here for preschool. Miss Amy is wonderful. She does a wide variety of structured learning.

Posted February 23, 2004

St. Charles has been a great experience for our whole family. I have two children in the school and have been very impressed by the whole learning atmosphere. They are able to address the gifted child to the one who 'has some difficulties'. I think this would be a great decision for your child's education.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Mr. Kel Kissamis
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Rockford

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

288 East Jefferson Street