Hinsdale, IL
Students enrolled: 2,781

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 05, 2015
The teachers were great. Honestly, they have it good. If they were in the city, they'd spend most of their time reprimanding unruly kids.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 05, 2015
I worked harder at Hinsdale Central than in college. Granted, I moved to Hinsdale from Chicago Public Schools ( on the south side ). I was a straight A student in the city, but in Hinsdale, found myself getting D's. I put in plenty of effort attempting to catch up. Pretty sure if I grew up in Hinsdale from the very beginning, I wouldn't have had to work so hard.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 05, 2015
The school is VERY competitive with grades. Still, even though I couldn't keep up in some classes, I never felt "dumb." People WANTED to learn at this school.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 05, 2015
At 12 I moved to the Hinsdale area. Until then, I went to Chicago Public Schools. In Chicago I was a straight A student. In Hindsdale I was getting D's. I had to work really hard to get my grades up. Best of all, the kids in Hinsdale wanted to learn... and they didn't ridicule you for getting good grades. People care about education in Hinsdale.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 02, 2015
My parents didn't want me to get murdered, so we moved to the burbs. I was a straight A student at Chicago Public Schools. Didn't even try. When I moved to Hinsdale I was getting Z's! I really had to work HARD to get my grades back up. The school was heavily focused on academics. The parents/family were very involved and the kids all wanted to learn.

Posted August 30, 2012
The rankings for this school are accurate. So many opportunities, so many things to do, and a great program. A fine school, with a funnel in the end toward great colleges. In a great area, to boot.

Hinsdale Central High School 4

Posted June 28, 2012
The teachers here are great. However the students are very close-minded. If you are not very well off or went to Westview Hills Middle School you are considered scum and feel very left out. I believe it has a lot of diverse clubs and sports that excel in their areas. Overall I hope Central pays off for all the stress and loneliness it has put me through

Posted April 21, 2012
Spectacular education that prepares you for the rest of your life. I was barely in the top 20% of my class and I currently attend The University of Michigan and am about to graduate with honors. There are some problems such as the "Hinsdale kids", but it is truly a phenomenal educational institution. To put it in perspective, we regularly have our middle 50% of kids go to schools like Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Purdue. The "bottom of the barrel" kids still go to schools like Mizzou and UIC. It is a truly great school.

Hinsdale Central High School 4

Posted February 19, 2012
Excellent school and teachers. Students leave well prepared for college. However, bullying does exist despite what is advertised.

Posted January 05, 2012
Facilities are substandard, but don't be fooled. Hinsdale Central's results/reputation serve as a magnet for education-focused families moving to and living in Chicagoland. Especially those with talented, motivated students. Diversity is improving as interest in obtaining a high quality of education trancends race. Having four levels of course difficulty accommodates the needs of all students. Honors/AP are difficult for even the best students. The unusually large assemblage of very talented and dedicated students provides challenge, motivation and support in a way that would not be available for very top students and most other schools. The result is that the strong academic focus opens a wide range of possibilities for graduates. The importance of personal development through extracurricular activities and athletics is also emphasized. If you are looking for the best public education that Chicagoland has, Hinsdale Central is it. The biggest drawback is that while the high-expectation, high-performance environment gets results for most students, it is also stressful. Aligning parent expectations with student abilities resolves much of this problem.

5500 South Grant Street, Hinsdale, IL  60521
Last modified Hinsdale Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hinsdale Central High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top