Hoffman Estates, IL

Posted March 19, 2015
At this point I was livid and still no-one cared to help locate my daughter!!!!! All they said was maybe she walked home. (There is no school bus transportation for elementary students but there is for junior high and high schools)!!!!! After 27 minutes of this BS I left the school and found my daughter walking the neighborhood looking for her brother who usually picks her up. Again the incompetent staff was aware of this change and did not bother to notify the teachers or my daughter. When I found her she was hysterical and rightfully so. I then had to go the town hall to get direct contact information for the superintendent. The staff there was more concerned than the school. I was giving the superintendent secretary number. After briefly telling her that I was not interested in relaying messages through her and I needed an immediate conception to the superintendent I was transferred to his associate because of course he was unavailable. More BS apologies and he would contact the local school principal. Whether or not any action will be taken against the incompetent staff, I will never know. I even withdrew my son from the junior high school. OUTRAGED PARENT

Posted April 15, 2013
Very unhappy with the school. Grade 1 teacher very short tempered and rude. My son who loved going to school at one point of time is now scared to do so because of lack of professionalism and rudeness of the teacher.

Posted February 28, 2012
I am a student and I have to say the school is the best. My K/1 teacher Mrs.Byers was fantastic.She helped me so much because I came during December. The school may not be completely bully proof. But they help us children understand our mistakes. All the teachers love their students. I am in fifth grade and I am going to graduate next year. I will cry because I will have to leave my favorite school. Thanks to my teachers Mrs.Byers,Ms.Havel,Mrs.Achacher,Ms.Macejik,Mrs.Williams and my current teacher Ms.Rendall I exceed in all subjects. Love you all!!!!!!!!!!!! Mwa mwa mwaaaaaa mwa mwa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted April 25, 2011
Great School! I love the teachers, the whole staff is great! I son loves it too! Their princepal is awesome!

Posted April 22, 2010
This school is wonderful. I have seen great improvement in my child. She was already an avid reader and excelled at reading. They have brought her math skills up almost as high as her reading. They have a lot of extra curricular activities for the kids too!

Posted June 30, 2008
This school is terrible. The principal and vice seem to be the best thing in this school. I have two children who attend this school, they started here in October. My daughter was one of the top in her class at her other school. Here teacher at John Muir has made very rude unprofessional comments. My son's teacher was very unorganized and extremely forgetful. And I was told that they had extracurricular activities and they was nothing except for lower income kids could enroll in. What about the middle class?

John Muir Literacy Academy

Posted October 21, 2007
2 Of my grandsons attend this school. The youngest is autistic. His K/1 teacher, mrs byers, who just retired, was just fantastic. Never having taught K/1 before, she was like a duck in water. My grandson was rated one of the top students in reading and math in 1st grade. And he was the only special-needs student in his class! The oldest is in 4th grade and doing great. My daughter is President of the PTA and lunch room monitor. There are over 10 languages spoken at Muir and it is a credit to the teachers that the children do as well as they are. When I went to elementary/high school the students were either Christians or Jews. We all spoke the same language: English. Sorry, but times have changed and we all must do the best we can to help this school.

Posted September 29, 2006
My son is currently attending 1st grade at John Muir. I am happy about the quality of the school adn the staff. My son is intelligent, but he needs to be challenged constantly or he loses interest in studies. The teachers at Muir have been very cooperative and encouraging to make sure that he is given work that keeps his interest. He is being tested to evaluate his skills and his goals for the year and being set based on his current skills. Since he is not six years old yet and is in first grade, I feel that it is important that he is tested periodically to make sure he is at the right level. The school also encourages good behavior, respect, taking pride in your work, safety and physical activity including sports. I am glad my son is in John Muir.

Posted December 18, 2004
My son attending this school for 4 years. He was a very poor student. With the help from the teachers, previous assistant principal, and counselor he escalted. He is now in eisenhower jr high and is averaging a b. I still have a daughter there and the teacher's that she had and currently have are excellant. I could not think of any other school that would of helped my son more the john muir. Thank you muir!

Posted October 06, 2004
My child's teacher told us that our child was one of the top readers in the class, then when we transferred to another school they put her in a literacy group because she needed help. That goes to show you what a horrible school John Muir is - 85% of the kids don't even speak English - how was my child supposed to learn in an environment like that? It's impossible. No one at the school cared about the kids - it's sickening, all of our hard earned tax dollars going to waste - wake up!

John Muir Literacy Academy
1973 Kensington Lane, Hoffman Estates, IL  60169
Last modified John Muir Literacy Academy is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Muir Literacy Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top